Archinect
anchor

Modeling softwares

sleepyarchitect

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. Hopefully the beginning of something good!

I'm nearing the end of my architectural education. I do not consider myself to be (nor do I want to be) a "technician" when it comes to my relationship with architecture. My interests are in the design itself.

With that said, I was hoping for a bit of advice on modeling softwares, particularly on Rhino vs Form-z. 

I recently read an article about Form-z, and decided to do some research. There is a *very* compelling video in which the software easily handles some tasks that Rhino is a lot more clunky with. It has an interesting floating snap feature, and a great layout system. It seems to be a good mix between Rhino and Sketchup and Revit, without sacrificing much (except the command line input, unfortunately).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0QixFSZppw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8rfZQOxquM

However, Rhino seems to have a much stronger connection with the industry, and it has plug-ins such as grasshopper and vray. Also, I have encountered people who have attempted to apply to such places like Studio Gang only to discover Rhino proficiency is a requirement for them (or was at that point in time).

Can anyone help me weigh in on these? I think form-z has huge potential, but I don't want to waste my time if everyone uses Rhino (and expects me to also).

Nov 25, 15 12:25 pm
Non Sequitur

Was the article you read on FormZ from 2002?

... because that's probably the last time anyone has used it for anything.

In other words: FormZ is a dinosaur. Let it enjoy its extinction.

Nov 25, 15 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Rhino has plug-ins to do anything you need. Learn Rhino.

Nov 25, 15 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
sleepyarchitect

It had a brief mention in this architizer article here from this year. I was hoping somebody here works with both and could point out the true pro's and cons. 

http://architizer.com/blog/how-architecture-is-born-open-architecture/

I have learned Rhino at a basic level, but I'm not very fluid with the program. Often I begin in sketchup because it's so quick at visualization, and then I end up rebuilding it in Rhino from an export.

What are the best plug-ins?

Nov 25, 15 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I've only ever seen FormZ used in one office, and it was one license for an older designer who was used to using it.

If you're going to dedicate the time to learning something, I'd stick with the Sketchup/Rhino/Revit combo. Learn them all and get used to moving back and forth between them.

Nov 25, 15 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

When was the last time you ever heard someone use FormZ? Have you actually done any research on what the industry uses? or even ask your professors? ...

Nov 25, 15 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
sleepyarchitect

Hmm. Ok. Yeah no reason to fight the tide I guess. 

Nov 25, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
sleepyarchitect

archiwutm8-

I have never heard of formz until I read that article, and I've been studying architecture for 6 years. I just found their video tutorials very compelling.  

Nov 25, 15 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

There's no stopping you using FormZ if you feel compelled to but don't expect to get employed using it.

Nov 26, 15 5:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I'd like to see where formz is still a expected skill in the work place. My office used formz back in the late 90s, early 00s and I don't think I even list it on my cv under software a.

Shall we return to etchin plans on clay tablets?

How come in 6 years arch school you have not yet learned which programs are common in practice?
Nov 26, 15 6:24 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

My office still has a drawing board, we are edgy people.

Nov 26, 15 6:32 am  · 
 · 
sleepyarchitect

I think some of you misunderstand.

I know all the software. I know which ones the firms use. Sure, I don't know all the rhino plug-ins, and grasshopper is difficult to master, but it's only a matter of time.

I was hoping somebody familiar with the recent version of formz (not the 90's or 00's) could help me with a rundown of what is better about Rhino compared to it. I want to know if it is worth putting time into. 

My goal isn't to learn it in order to get a job, because it is not my goal to be a computer technician. I want to know if it is useful for doing quick and high quality drawings compared to Rhino. 

So far, it seems Rhino has a better plug in-library, including Vray and Grasshopper. 

It seems form-z is more user-friendly, better at boolean operations, and gives greater control over visualization options. 

I'm starting to get the feeling that a lot of people here just accept Rhino as the default NURBS modeler, but they don't actually know if it's the best. It might be but I was hoping to have a technical discussion about it.

Nov 27, 15 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Rhino is the best when compared to FormZ, there's a reason why it has taken over and more popular than FormZ.

"I'm starting to get the feeling that a lot of people here just accept Rhino as the default NURBS modeler, but they don't actually know if it's the best"

How did you get to this conclusion? did you just make that assumption?

Nov 30, 15 10:45 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Use the right tool for the job. The right tool is the one you're comfortable and productive with, which also is capable of doing what you want to do to the quality level you want to do it at. The value of any tool is always predicated on who is using it and what they're using it for. If you think that tool for you and your work is FormZ, then go for it. But know that it is an idiosyncratic decision going into it.

Nov 30, 15 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
MikeJarosz

The arguments over the merits of one software package over another are temporary at best. If you believe that you have chosen the best, what are you going to do when the next graduating class comes along and announces that you are a dinosaur? (like has been done in this very thread in this very forum).

There were all sorts of software over the last couple of generations, FormZ was one of them. 
Over the years I have had to learn and unlearn several major programs. I haven't used Acad in 6 years. Someone handed me an Acad project last week. After 2 hours, they took it away from me.

The software to learn is the one that will get you a job. I have been using Revit since 2003. That got me my current job. The software that is popular in your college studio may not be the software employers want.   Most employers do more than design buildings. they document and build them too. So, you need to learn software that can do CDs, not just design.

Nov 30, 15 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Mike I agree, if you were to give me an autocad project I wouldn't remember where to start anymore.....

Nov 30, 15 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: