Archinect
anchor

ARCH I admission 2016 fall - GRE score :(

boobooarch

I'm planning on applying architecture grad schools this winter. 

Unfortunately my GRE score is below average and I know that Columbia and MIT is the only ones that requires 150V minimum. However, I've seen adimission posting here that some people got into GSAPP below that score. Do I still have change to get in? or should I even have to apply?

Nov 24, 15 6:54 pm
tduds

How low is below average? Never hurts to re-take...

Nov 24, 15 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
matdez6

​I think you should still apply

Nov 25, 15 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
boobooarch

I'm pretty confident about my portfolio, in fact, took lots of effort and time,

it's just GRE ... ima take it again soon but worried that I will still not meet that score.

Columbia have said on the website they will not consider any applicants below the minimum.

Is that true?

How did some of the people get in with 142-148 v ? 

Just fingers cross on this question. :(

Nov 25, 15 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

If i'm correct, is that a 990 on the old GRE? That's way too low.....not sure about GSAPP, but around the time I went to gradschool, people applying to well-known programs thought of 1350 (old score) as a safe score to apply to any program (except for Princeton). I know admissions joke about GRE scores, and while it's true that GRE scores are the least important compared to other criteria, 990 is still unheard of. I would definitely take it again until you hit the score you need.

Nov 25, 15 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
boobooarch

150 in new GRE would be about 450/800 a section in old GRE, other words, half right score

I don't know where you are getting 990 number from...

If you are inferring a score combed with math, I have pretty high on that. 

I'm international student so just english part I'm sux at. :(

Nov 26, 15 11:46 am  · 
 · 

Hey beingsn, I recommend you try magoosh online pack for verbal if you are going to write it again. I was able to get a 5 point rise in my score with it. Also try and write a lotta tests. Although I have heard they only care about the quantitative score being over 157.

Nov 28, 15 6:59 am  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

oh i thought the 142-148 meant scores for each section but you were talking about a score range in verbal. Still that's very low... If you don't have much time left, I'd say concentrate mainly on vocabulary. I had about two weeks of prep time, with an addition of 500 or so words to my vocabulary (which went away in three days after the exam) and a little bit of luck, my verbal score bumped up by 150 (not sure what that is in the new scale). But if you're scoring below 450 now, I'm also worried about your toefl scores and more about how you would take classes in gradschool. Did you go to college in the states?

Nov 30, 15 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

150 in new GRE would be about 450/800 a section in old GRE, other words, half right score

Isn't 170 the maximum? 150 translating to 450 seems wrong. Or did they change it *again*?

Nov 30, 15 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
boobooarch

right tduds. 150 out of 170. They havn't changed haha

cutline for columbia would be 150 in verbal only. Not worried about the math score.

they say as long as I go over 150 which they are requiring, i will not be flagged by the number. 

But it's looking slightly below 150 ........:(

Dec 2, 15 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: