restaurants near by

firm's design approach

software

firm name

firm size

task

projects

growth

Which one(s) of these factors do you find important in your current / future job? How would you rate the importance from 1-13? 13 being the highest important.

welcome to add to the list

Nov 24, 15 6:53 pm

The city and neighborhood you can afford to live in

How stable the firm's IT is, nothing is more frustrating than having the server go down as a deadline approaches

the commute, can you reach your office by transit or do you have to drive through gridlock

I don't think the name is a concern as long as you believe the work being done is not lacking in quality

Over and OUT

Peter N

Nov 25, 15 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Potential for, room for, and approximate expected schedule for advancement always factored high for me.

Coworkers, supervisors, and software are all subject to frequent change and factors outside my control, so I'd never factor them highly in a career decision - I'd rank them a 2 at most.

Firm name: do you mean the recognizability of the name? If so I working in name-brand firms for a few years was valuable to me, but at this point it wouldn't be a factor at all. 

Restaurants nearby gets a zero.

The rest of the items on your list are all somewhere in the middle, and relatively equal - they'd be factors in the big picture.

Nov 25, 15 10:40 am  · 
 · 
zonker

8 hrs sleep/night

Nov 25, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Location; I left the city and the suburbs 15 years ago and it would be very hard to come back.

School district, has been so far the most rewarding aspect of living in a resort community, getting high quality public education.

Type of work, I spent about 5 years making pretty pictures and nothing got built, I like being in the field, designing details and thinking of materials, more than flashy renderings.

Anonymity, at some point in my 20+ years of profession, I realized I wasn't going to be famous or rich, so keeping a low profile and doing work that is meaningful for you and the clients is more important than an article in architectural record. It's also a big part of why clients come to us, we don't publish their humble abodes.

For everything else, there is amex.  

Nov 25, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
3tk

13. Management - they bring in the work (projects) which sets the tone for growth/salary, and do the hiring (co-workers)

12. Coworkers - they're your back up and your defacto social life 40hrs or more a day; i like a team that's like family, probably b/c it makes me feel more like studio at school.

11. Supervisor/Growth - if I'm not learning, I'm digressing

10. Salary - doesn't need to be huge, but 6 figures in NYC is nice to maintain a decent standard of living

9. Commute/Lunch - the little things in life that ease the day

Design approach is folded into management and coworkers - some parts can change, and has more to do with the studio culture of the firm.

Software?  I'm not sure where this plays in.  PM software and a good accounting software is helpful but in general aren't we all in Revit or AutoCAD?

Firm name - sort of goes along with the work; I guess star firms are helpful early in he career to establish that 'you can handle the pressure cooker' but not much to help later on.

Task - it comes with growth / firm type

Size - I find that even in large offices, you have smaller teams; there is something to be said for smaller office where you have more say in the upper management decisions, but it's not necessarily tied to size, more with management.

Nov 25, 15 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: