Archinect
anchor

laptop purchase

preksha

I am 3rd year architecture student and considering to purchase a laptop.

can anyone suggest which laptop shall i buy.

also can alienware or dell precision be an option?

Nov 24, 15 4:38 pm
ivorykeyboard

generally, gaming GPUs from ATI don't fare well compared to the nvidia quadro, so I would avoid alienwares.

my work computer is a lenovo thinkpad - i highly recommend it, although it's probably pricey. stats below

intel i7-4910mq cpu @ 2.9 ghz (quad core multithreaded, so essentially 8 cores all together)

32 gb ram

nvidia quadro k2100m

I had a g74sx ASUS in college as well as a desktop. the asus was embarrassingly huge (8.1 pounds)

Nov 24, 15 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

My Dell Precision is great. Rhino + Vray, revit, 3dsmax = no problem.

Nov 24, 15 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I will repeat again, Quadro graphic cards make NO difference for the softwares we use. I know Autodesk etc will say otherwise, but I work on heavy duty Rhino, Revit etc and never paid the extra cash for Quadros. So yes, an alienware should be fine...

Nov 24, 15 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

I went to buy a laptop the other day and Revit requirements on Autodesk's website said windows 8 was required.  All the laptops that were available only had windows 10.  Will the latest Revit run on windows 10 just fine or what?

Nov 24, 15 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

good_knight, you need linux.

Nov 24, 15 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Same old, your gpu is heavily taxed only when using real time rendering like vray RT or maxwell. Of course it doesn't make a different on cpu and ram heavy processes like modeling in rhino. It really depends on what you're doing. 

Nov 24, 15 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

OP, Alienware is like the Macbook of Windows laptops - overpriced garbage. Look for a good processor with hyperthreading (i7-4XXX) as rendering is CPU intensive. Nvidia Quadro is not really required. Any decent GeForce 700/900 series GPU would do fine.

Nov 24, 15 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

No one asks the right question yet, what is it going to be for?

Nov 25, 15 2:38 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I bought a mailbal laptop-gaming laptop. It's great, looks understated, not a flashy Alienware thingy.
Nov 28, 15 10:53 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

I can vouch for MSI Apache gaming laptop. Mine runs revit / rhino / visual studio / CS with no issues whatsoever.

Nov 28, 15 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
greatescape

Gaming Laptop, Any Gaming Laptop.

Nov 28, 15 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Good Day everyone, i am looking for a Laptop for my Masters in Architecture and Professional work, a laptop that i will use for the next 5 years if i can.

please feel free to provide any feedback or information that could be helpful. 

my main concern is for the laptop to not lag or to take longer time to process things than a desktop. 

Programs expecting to be used: 

Rhino + grasshopper - modeling (algorithmic calculations)

Autodesk - CAD, Revit, Maya, MAX - rendering

Adobe Suite - Photoshop, Illustrator, ect.  

Lumion - animations

i recently purchased a Mobile Precision 7510 XCTO BASE, with following specs

Intel® Core™ i7-6920HQ (Quad Core 2.90GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics 530)

346-BBRH1Smartcard Reader

490-BCPK1Nvidia® Quadro® M2000M w/4GB GDDR5

391-BCFI115.6" UltraSharp™ FHD IPS Touch (1920x1080) Wide View LED-backlit, camera and microphone

370-ACSV132GB, DDR4-2133MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS, Non-ECC

400-AFGV1512GB 2.5 inch SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive

some problem dell had with Windows and their software not being compatible with the hardware.but as i received the laptop, the mouse-pad kept freezing and lagging, this was a concern i had and had to troubleshoot the laptop and eventually send it back, the problem is that the laptop software was not install properly and the hardware was faulty. 

is there another laptop that is similar or better than this one 

thank you for your time everyone.

Best

Daniel

Jul 30, 16 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Daniel is 4 seperate posts necesairy?

You're going to have a hard time in school if you can't do reaserch or make your own decisions.
Jul 31, 16 6:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: