Archinect
anchor

Job hunting in Hong Kong (without cantonese/mandarin). Help !

Wijdène

Hi everybody ! I am writing here today because I don't know what else I can do (18h HK time) after a whole day, month and almost a year looking for an architect position in Hong Kong with the less results I have ever experienced... ever ! 

Here is my story, 

I am an architect, I had my M.Arch 5 years ago now from the University of Carthage Sidi Bou Said Tunisia (yes I know so far away). I am also Accredited OAT Architect (l'ordre des architectes tunisiens).I worked as a designer during my studies in a french company then with a well known architect in Tunisia as an Architect for almost 3 years.

After that I decided to open my own practice which didn't look like a bad idea at that time especially during the very particular political context in Tunisia( Jasmin revolution 2011), I had more flexibility that allowed me to do other things like commitment to a political party and civic society (communication and youth leadership responsibilities mainly) as well as time for some of my passions; theatre. My responsibilities within the party took more space in my life than expected and that's how I had amazing experience, advocating as a young leader from the *MENA region (*North Africa Middle East) for Democracy and youth leadership within the EU, the UN and few other organisations. In parallel I had a small project that I enjoyed doing, a café place for young artists and One man show theatre concerts. After, I went to London (as soon as I realised that my english could be a barrier to communicate my ideas outside the country) and had a 3 months internship in a very inspiring Architectural company. That's how I reconnected myself to architecture seriously again and knew that I missed this creative part of it. During that time, I've met my (now) husband and then went back to Tunisia. I knew that I am going to leave soon again. So, having the mind and the heart away for a year, I tried to establish a new business with a friend (Rendering works for european architectural firms) which worked enough for our efforts honestly and here I am in Hong Kong, a year now ...and I did almost nothing ! 

Well, maybe not nothing, started learning Mandarin which will be officially my 4th language after Arabic French and English,did a certificate in BIM Design with Revit, teaching architecture for children of 10 and 11 years old ( which is hilariously inspiring) in a primary school and doing some voice acting in arabic with an international translation company. But nothing that I can say 'my career' .

So far, I had two interviews with a luxury brand for a visual merchandising position which where successful until they asked me to promise and proof that I am not going to be pregnant for next ... 2 YEARS ! ( I will not comment on that). 

Et voilà ! I am officially out of the practice, seems to be anyway and I don't know what to do... Any inspiration ideas or sort of help will be much appreciated. 

Thank you ! 

Nov 24, 15 1:27 pm
Kinma

Check this out

http://www.bespokecareers.com/hk/back-to-work

Nov 25, 15 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Wijdène

I did but no results. 

Nov 25, 15 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
fannyluo

How is your job hunting going by now? I notice that your thread was dated back to 2015 and assume you've succceeded in landing a job as an architect in Hong Kong. In an international cosmopolis like HK is, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a job as an experienced professional. I am Cantonese translator and I have established business relationships with many clients based in Hong Kong.

May 9, 17 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: