Archinect
anchor

What is considered success in this field of work?

archiwutm8

What do you consider success in this profession? What does it look like and where do you go from there? I realise it's going to be different for everyone and it may change over time, but is there a general consensus?

Nov 24, 15 5:07 am
Non Sequitur
A Ferrari for every day of the week and a nice assortment of feathers for your hat.
Nov 24, 15 6:58 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

own firm. clients come to you for your work.

Nov 24, 15 7:01 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

Being employed in the field. Getting paid well is a bonus.

Nov 24, 15 7:04 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

more money coming in than going out.

enough time evenings and weekends to pursue meaningful interests

Nov 24, 15 7:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Woah Woah you want more time to pursue interests? Correct me if I'm wrong but I was told by professors at university that the only interest for an architect should be architecture! absolute madness.

Nov 24, 15 8:02 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Getting paid to do art/design instead of construction documents/code plans.

Nov 24, 15 8:57 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

there are 8-5 architectural interests, and then there are evening and weekend architectural interests one can pursue for your own benefit and amusement.  obviously there are not interests outside of architecture.  i'm pretty sure there isn't a world at all outside of architecture, but i hear rumors sometimes.

Nov 24, 15 9:25 am  · 
 · 
midlander

getting places built built that matter in some important way to someone and work well at that, while also exercising some aspect of my understanding of good architecture. That understanding changes as I do and see more.

Nov 24, 15 10:10 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

i'm pretty sure there isn't a world at all outside of architecture, but i hear rumors sometimes.

EVERYTHING is architecture.  That is why Architects are awesome!

Nov 24, 15 10:50 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

^ "Laugh intensifies"

Nov 24, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 
3tk

1. Working with people I'd choose to drink with.

2. Having projects I care about, both design and the impact it can have.

3. Having good clients that trust my design decisions, and pay well and on time.

4. Being paid enough to have to have a decent place to live (potentially own), eat/drink well, put something away for retirement, and travel a few times a year for inspiration.

5. Working decent hours with some flexibility (50/wk).

6. Being respected by my peers.

It's a happy place when you're there and take the time to enjoy it.

Nov 24, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Getting paid to do art/design instead of construction documents/code plans.

In other words, not having to do the 80% plus stuff that architects actually do?  Let's face it, most architects' dream is to be dilettantes, not professionals.

Nov 24, 15 11:01 am  · 
 · 
no_form

financial - not having to worry about the next pay check or when the next job will come in the door.

design - transforming a place in such a way that people will take pride in it, find that it enriches their lives, *may or may not* solve a functional problem.  architecture's role is not to solve problems.  creating spaces that add value to a business.  developing a new method for making a building.  innovating novel forms (and getting them built).  

there are a lot of ways to define success.  you figure out what is important to you and what you can contribute in such a way that is valuable to others.  

Nov 24, 15 11:32 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Have you created any projects which you're proud of? If yes, you are successful in this line of work.

· 
Carrera

What college you went to - forget everything else…where you started is far more important to people than where you finished.

· 
chigurh

doing good work, happy clients, make some money, having a life outside of the office.

Nov 24, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Produce work I'm proud of, support myself and a future family, and never submit to the cynical nihilism that pervades most architectural social circles these days.

Nov 24, 15 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

What college you went to - forget everything else…where you started is far more important to people than where you finished.

i would like to point out that performance of your alma mater's football program (sometimes basketball, but we don't need to mention those schools) is a very important aspect of this statement.

Nov 24, 15 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Making a semi-decent living while doing good work

Nov 24, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

produce work that you are proud of while having the time and money to enjoy life.

Nov 24, 15 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

The Pritzker. 

Nov 25, 15 12:23 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I was surprised no one said the Pritzker until Miles did.

Nov 25, 15 1:26 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

opening a firm of experimental architecture in my country where- with the help of specialized ambitious team- I alter the meaning of architecture, mixing sciences with arts and using it to help and influence people and change their life to the best.. I just hope I'll find that team :p

outside the profession-  I wish to be a famous anonymous novelist, noticed lately that people get touched with my poetry that some don't believe it's mine (and it's a compliment).. the secret is to be honest with myself when writing beside the skill, but most times I'm not honest .. that's why haven't wrote anything for a year..:(

financially- ufft 55k college debts! 

Nov 25, 15 5:50 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

Success is:

1. Improving someones life with your architecture.
2. Improve the city with your architecture.
3. Make a good living doing it. 

It cant be 1 of 3 or 2 of 3, I think it has to be 3 of 3 to be valid. 

Nov 25, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: