Archinect
anchor

Help with collage/render

lina.c

Someone have any idea how to do this kind of image/collage from Office MMX? Seems little vray and a lot photoshop. 

There is some sort of effect in photoshop to do this? Or is it something more complicated?

Thanks!

Nov 23, 15 12:43 pm
l3wis

all photoshop. a linework base guide is gotten from MAKE2D in Rhino

Nov 23, 15 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
lina.c

Thank you for the reply, l3wis.

But what about the shadows? Don't you think there is a basic render behind to give the lighting base guide?

Nov 23, 15 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

like a bad david hockney.

Nov 23, 15 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Hockney and/or Anthony Ames

Sigh, do people (students) even know how to reference paintings as a way to make illustrations anymore?

Nov 23, 15 10:18 pm  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

Like a bad David Hockney? where was the good David Hockney?

Nov 24, 15 3:46 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

it's not Photoshop, it's a lot of V-ray effects and little touch on photoshop.. it's a question you can ask your colleagues not sthg that you post on a forum, that's why nobody replied you.. you're Egyptian?  

Nov 24, 15 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

Zaina, that is actually all Photoshop, with linework from Rhino, as l3wis said. It's all overlayed with different textures and flat colors with many layers of fake shadows and ambient occlusion.

Nov 24, 15 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

look at the glossy metallic effect of the chairs? the flooring pattern that is so exact.. and the neat shadow effect..

Nov 24, 15 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It's photoshop not vray, all those techniques are definitely Photoshopable.

Nov 24, 15 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

That's actually a cut-out of a real chair from an image/stock photo. The flooring pattern is made with the perspective/distort tool in Photoshop, and the shadow effect is anything but neat. V-ray would never be able to render shadows and reflections as bad as this. It's just burn tool/black soft brush in Ps.

Nov 24, 15 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

a lot of people speculating like they know the exact formula to get that done 

Nov 24, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

what about the light reflections? just saing.. it would much easier with I-render or Vray

Nov 24, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't think they're as accurate as you would get with a rendering zaina.  looks like it was all kind of thrown together off-the-cuff.  not so bad that the sun is coming from multiple directions like tatooine, but it's not really trying to be consistent with angles either.

Nov 24, 15 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

i'm guessing shadow channel from a vray render as a guide for the shadows.

Nov 24, 15 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

I took 5 minutes to try and construct some of the perspectives and things don't always line up perfectly in the individual images or as a set. The are some interesting "games" being played with anamorphic projections and the perspectives, especially with the Gazelle's head (if these were indeed renderings).

But there are other tells, like how table textures are perpendicular to the camera, the cookbook is awkwardly placed in space on a counter, and a window swings open at an angle to a wall.

But as chigurgh said earlier, these are essentially montages that are constructed in a fashion that is similar to photographs made by Hockney. I added Ames, and you could arguably trace this back to some of collage work of Mies. The filters and added textures depend on what brand of glue stick you like to use and whether or not you use left handed scissors to cut out the images (eg. designers technique).

But you should just go to their site and look at the images closely. There are major tells in how they construct images. 

Nov 24, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
at_replica

Hi Lina!

I believe there are multiple methods to achieve this type of result, I can however recommend the one I've been using the most.

After building up basic geometry in Rhino, you can set the scene, use the command make2D and export it either to Photoshop as a pdf or Illustrator as a vector. This gives you a guideline for selecting areas and masking textures.

I have recently released a collection of artistic and painterly collage textures - maybe this could help as well (recollage.co)!

All the best,

Aga 

Jun 6, 22 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: