Archinect
anchor

AUTOCAD DWG VIEWER ERROR

ceryskelly

I have several drawings that were created in autocad 2010.  However now I am using 2012, and the files will not open, and I get a message from autocad indicating that I need the DWG viewer to open the file.  I downloaded the application, and installed it from the autocad website, but when I execute it, I get the attached error.  Does anyone know if the view works with Win 7? Or a way to open and print my drawings?

Nov 22, 15 11:53 am
b3tadine[sutures]

whenever i had cad errors, i try a couple of different things; insert as a block, or xref, then bind xref.

Nov 22, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
rachelgomez

Solution:

Do one or more of the following:
Repair or recover the drawing file. See: Optimizing drawing files in AutoCAD with Purge, Audit & Recover.
If the file can be opened anywhere, save it to a previous file format.
Open the drawing file directly instead of using the shortcut in the Recent Documents menu.
Open files created in non-AutoCAD (third-party) software in the native product and export to AutoCAD DWG format, if available. 
Check the file in a text editor such as Notepad and compare to a known-working drawing. If the first few rows are consistently different in format, this indicates irrevocable corruption, improper conversion, or wrong file type. A valid DWG file has to start with AC10...
Find a backup or autosave copy of the file. See: Understanding backup and autosave files in AutoCAD.
If the error message appears along with crashing of AutoCAD products in the Collaboration for Civil 3D workflow, see that Desktop Connector shuts down and Civil 3D crashes as a result.

Environmental factors:

Test opening the file in a different location, such as the local hard disk, to rule out network or cloud storage issues.
Verify that the file storage location is working properly. If cloud storage is where the error comes from, reinstall the cloud drive. Some storage solutions offer on-demand access. Disable this option or download local copies of one or more files and check whether they open correctly.
Make sure to be logged in or have the necessary programs installed for the cloud storage (for example: Dropbox Desktop Software, Google Drive, OneDrive).
For files received by email, have the sender ZIP the file and resend it.
Extract drawing files from a ZIP folder before opening, or copying them out of the ZIP to a new location. 
If a USB drive or similar support has been used to transmit the file, check the storage for integrity and obtain a new working copy from the original source.
Be sure that the combined length of file path, file name, and filename extension does not exceed 255 characters. See: Maximum Path Length Limitation (Microsoft).
Open/download the DWG from a most up-to-date version of Microsoft Outlook.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Nov 2, 22 5:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: