Archinect
anchor

Portfolio/General application feedback

stmariml

Hey guys, 

I would love to get some feedback on my portfolio. I am applying to 4 programs all in the southeast; Clemson (Architecture + Health), UF, NC state, and UNCC 

I have a B.A in interdisciplinary studies with concentrations in international business and graphic design. (GPA 3.69) 

GRE scores are mediocre. 

3 years of international, design related, volunteer experience. 

I am currently working in as BioMed Mechanic (Though I am not sure if that is at all relevant though)

Here is a rough draft of my portfolio

What do I need? 

Thanks! 

Nov 20, 15 9:43 pm
no_form
You need some architecture. It's all photography. The graphics are nice. Do you have any hand sketches? Any interesting physical things you've made? Models, furniture, etc...
Nov 20, 15 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
bad_hombre

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, applying for M Arch I programs  as well. Your text placement, choice of font and layout are all very beautiful and so harmonious. It's was nice just flipping through your portfolio! 

Nov 20, 15 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Nice but you need drawings and/or models. i also think the cover is a little juvenile - i would change that. keep it simple.

Nov 21, 15 10:56 am  · 
 · 
stmariml

Thanks for the feedback, I designed and built a king size bed, it would be difficult to photograph, but maybe I could put emphasis on the drawings of the bed instead of the photographs of the finished product? 

I designed and built a landscape a few years back. I have a feeling that including this might make everything seem messy and disjointed, though. 

I have started adding a 3D design section to the portfolio. 

Nov 21, 15 11:36 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

i think a combo of drawings and beautiful photographs of the wood, etc. might be an asset. If the landscape can be photographed well and also has drawings and concept diagrams, etc., could be good. if it's conventional then I wouldn't do it.

you have about a month till you submit, right? i would begin two endeavors—a drawing project of some kind and a spatial / concept architectural model of some kind that is more on the abstract side. or maybe just stick with drawings since you're a graphic designer. make some analytical drawings of an awesome building or do a competition or something, etc. If you know of any arch grad students ask for their help or advice.

Nov 21, 15 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

or find some great building that academics love (louis kahn's buildings or something) and do some kind of graphic design project pertaining to it that's analytical or conceptual. show that you are interested in architecture

Nov 21, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

last comment --- if you have made kickass engineering drawings or fabricated projects put some of those in there

Nov 21, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Just photograph the bed and show a drawing of it. Same with the landscape. Don't be so OCD. It's not that hard to photograph and it will be so much more interesting.
Nov 21, 15 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
stmariml

Man! thank you so much! I have to have everything submitted by the 15th of January. probably get the portfolio in the beginning of January. 

thoughts on the cover? Juvenile? 

thanks! 

Nov 21, 15 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

yea it's kind of photo boothy you know? don't put pictures of yourself on the portfolio -- if you do at all it should be thumbnail sized and professional by your resume. keep the portfolio professional.

Nov 22, 15 9:07 am  · 
 · 
stmariml

Cool, appreciate the feedback. 

Nov 22, 15 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: