Archinect
anchor

layoffs at Kohn Pedersen Fox

poiuy

Has anyone heard about layoffs at KPF New York? Was wondering what percentage of staff, if anyone knew the reason, how quickly it happened and when...

Nov 20, 15 3:05 pm
Volunteer

In heard it is due to a China backlog shrinkage. No idea how serious. Prolly not very.

Nov 20, 15 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

NYC firms are so busy right now that it will probably take those employees about five minutes to find new positions.

Nov 20, 15 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson
no_form
Glass door makes it sound awful. 50-80 work weeks, pigeonholing, politics, overly competitive. And then you look at salary. It's a pittance.
Nov 20, 15 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

A few classmates of mine did co-op placements at KPF. The hours were brutal, but they got paid for overtime and were able to make some pretty good bank. It sucks for salaried employees, though.

Nov 20, 15 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

KPF > SOM

Nov 20, 15 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

I knew it. BR.TN works at KPF.

The whole talk about 14 principals.

Nov 20, 15 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

talented, but do they make good life decisions.....who was that guy,Kevin Kennon maybe, one of my favorite architecure stories.....apparently this designer (not bothering to google but pretty sure its kenon) was publishing Kpf work as his own. KPF was not happy and they fired him (in short). he kept coming to work. they packed all his shit. kept coming to work, security threw him out kicking and screaming. then years later (same person telling me this story) saw him lecture at Cooper or something and he was still fuming.....ah corporate architecture.

Nov 20, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

there you go.  all you have to do is survive a meat grinder to become principal.  maybe he's right about the environment he's in.  just believe in what you're doing enough that you don't see the down sides and when the shit hits the fan, smile and say 'thank you sir, may i have another.'

Nov 20, 15 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

PS, having worked with about 25 different firms in my consultant days, I can tell you that KPF ranks next to dead-last. The three principals I worked with were as dumb as they come. SOM, on the other hand, was full of brilliant people. I never felt like I was babysitting those guys.

Nov 20, 15 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

so, null, are you saying BRTN is in the right place?

Nov 20, 15 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

haa...If you want grinders try Fosters or Zaha.

Nov 20, 15 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

at least Fosters pays

Nov 21, 15 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

who was dead last, null? vinoly?

Nov 21, 15 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Nope, kpf makes vinoly look like fucking rock stars.

Nov 22, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Its the way it is folks - KPF, HOH, RVA -Whatever major league firm)- During and after the recession architecture firms and construction companies needed to go to a more aggressive schedules with fewer people - so in order to meet tighter deadlines with less people, it became necessary for the team members to rise to the occasion or get washed out - many firms have a high turnover rate because of this - its hard to maintain the new expected pace w/o burning out - its tough - many firms will try you out on a temp basis for 3 or 4 weeks to see if you "have it" most sadly do not and are told to "pack their tools" after they fail the trial period - 

Nov 22, 15 3:47 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: