Archinect
anchor

Need help picking masters program.

paul orathel

Hey, hope all of you are doing well :). My name is Paul and I just finished my B.Arch. in India a few months back and I could really use your valuable advice on this particular topic.

I was really inspired by the projects such as the High Lane, NY and the proposal for the BIG-U, NY. I would love to work on projects such as that and I know that it depends on what kind of projects the firm I work in will get but I wanted to know masters in which area would help me work on projects of that scale and help with designing as well as planning. I don’t want to work with policy making and such, so I suppose that rules out Urban Planning (please correct me if I’m wrong). One of my professors suggested that I go for Masters in Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) and that would help me get closer to what I wanted to do. Would you guys be kind enough to help me understand what is it that I’m looking for and what criterion would I have to follow while picking out colleges for masters in the same in the US.

I would also like to know if City and Regional Planning covers what I’m looking for and if it’s the same as MURP.

Thank you for taking your time,

Regards-

Paul

Nov 19, 15 7:01 pm

Paul I think you need to consider landscape architecture in addition to architecture. Often those places are designed with a landscape architect as a part of a team.  

Nov 22, 15 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
ReddishEgret

I second Peter's recommendation. Take a look at landscape architecture, particularly schools that emphasize landscape urbanism. 

I recommend reading the collection of essays: Recovering Landscape edited by James Corner. It gives a good introduction to the field and may help you refine your search. 

Best of luck!

Nov 23, 15 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Narcus

Paul work for a year.

Nov 24, 15 7:35 am  · 
 · 
3tk

I would suggest looking at the firms that work on those projects and finding what portion of the work you'd like to do (both of those projects were lead by an architecture firm with a landscape architecture firm, with heavy assistance from engineers) - and get some work experience in those fields/firms if you can.

If you have the time and money, a dual degree might be interesting - if not, at least try to find a school that has strong programs in both under the same school where a bit of crossover might be possible (UVA, Berkeley, Michigan, Minnesota, WashU, Harvard GSD, Penn).

(I did a dual, and am finding it to be a very useful thing despite the debt)

Nov 24, 15 10:58 am  · 
 · 
paul orathel
Wow! Thank you all for the amazing response. I shall look into landscape architecture. Landscape urbanism sound interesting and yes i'll be working for a year before doing my masters(should I do more?). Dual degree sounds really amazing and i love to learn more although I doubt that my financial situation would let me do it . So i might take two masters but with significant gap between each.

Once again thank you all for the amazing contribution. God bless and have a great day
Dec 4, 15 1:48 am  · 
 · 

Paul, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign has both Landscape and Architecture masters some people have earned dual masters in 3 years. U of I has a maximum per semester cost in terms of tuition so any additional credits you add beyond a full load should not impact you too much financially. Time is another issue.

Dec 9, 15 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: