Archinect
anchor

Revit on Macbook Air

khmay

I've been using Revit '12 on an old 2011 Macbook pro via Bootcamp and Win 8 for a few years and I'm considering upgrading.

I would love to switch to an Air 2,2 2014+.

Is anyone out there running Revit '15 on an Air and are you using Parallels or Bootcamp? Let me know if you've run into issues with the graphics/processing.  If you comment, can you also please note if you have the i5 or i7 and amount of RAM, and the project size you're running!

Thanks

Nov 18, 15 3:18 pm
null pointer

why would you run windows on a mac? don't be an idiot.

the end.

Nov 18, 15 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Don't do it, the tiny logic board will blow up...It actually did on my old air.

Nov 18, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

Archiwutm, which processor?

Ive been running Revit on an old i5 2.4 and it works great. The newer Airs have a newer version of i5 2.2.  I'm assuming performance will be somewhat similar if not better

Nov 18, 15 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
I wouldn't push Revit on an Air. You need a Pro or get an iMac if you want to do that.
Nov 18, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

Revit will run on the air, but may struggle with very large/complex files.  Rendering times will not be as fast as they possible could be.  However, if you get an air it will not "blow up" due to Revit. 

If financial reasons are why you are looking at the Air instead of a new Pro I would recommend checking out the Refurb section on Apple's website.  You may be able to snag a  a 13" Pro  for the same price and it should have a faster processor and a much better screen at a similar size.  

Nov 18, 15 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

LOL

Nov 19, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

Thanks. if anyone has experience with specific models w/ processor let me know.

and fyi, yes I understand Revit runs best on native machines. I have several windows machines and I use them whenever I feel like lowering my UX standards : )

The Air is for traveling and working remotely. 

Nov 19, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

If you do it get the extra warranty. A friend of mine was a apple sales person and now an architect told me specifically not to either.

Nov 20, 15 4:08 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Oh, right. UX standards.

The same team which decided that it was a good idea to allow the file tree's graphics to be shared across the server to multiple users so that when the 75 year old expanded every fucking folder, the rest of the office had to deal with it.

Keep up the OS wars, fanboys. The rest of us hate you.

Nov 20, 15 11:51 am  · 
 · 
khmay

Did you really just say you hate me? wtf is wrong with people. All I asked was for reviews on running Revit on the new Air processors and I get trolled. Don't you have something better to do with your time?

Nov 20, 15 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
breakit

I agree with you completely. People on archinect are just full of themselves-the worst type of architects. As a macbook user, I have the same question because I prefer running my graphic programs on mac rather than windows and it's only some architecture programs like revit that's keeping me away from upgrading. Let me know if you find out an answer to your question.

Jul 25, 18 7:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Necro-post much? Necro-posters are just as bad as Apple drones

Jul 25, 18 8:16 am  · 
 · 
breakit

thanks for the heads up, master of internet forum.

Jul 25, 18 8:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No problem. My work here is done.

Jul 25, 18 8:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: