Archinect
anchor

Masters with a focus on craftsmanship, structure, and building systems?

good details

I did my undergrad in architecture (environmental design actually). At the time I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when I applied and came to love and hate certain aspects of architecture in general. We focused primarily on theory and in retrospect I am much more interested in structure and designs that come about due to studies and knowledge of structural systems (think Calatrava, Candela, LeMessurier, etc.). I also came to loathe parametric design (every god damn design/build pavilion looks the same!) and gravitate much more towards architects that focus on materiality and craft. I LOVE joinery, connections, and how materials come together. The works of Zumthor, Studio Mumbai, Kahn, James Cutler, Kundig, etc. resonate with me quite a lot. I enjoy the simplicity of their way of thinking, especially in comparison the the industry's predominate focus on technology where things become over-complicated for the sake of complexity (generalizing here). It seems that in many instances the notion of craft gets thrown to the wayside in place of technology. Perhaps I'm simply looking at the wrong projects though. I do believe technology has its massive benefits but don't think it should be at the expense of good 'ole craftsmanship.

I want to pursue a Master's soon but am not sure which schools follow this sort of ideology. I have my undergrad in a very theory-based curriculum so I would love to find a school with a heavy structures focus that lends itself to creative architectural solutions. Does anyone have any ideas as to what schools follow in that vein? I have dual Canadian/USA citizenship and would prefer schools that don't cost an insane amount of money. Also...are my ideas imply out of date at this point? Am I shooting myself in the foot for wanting to pursue materiality and craft given the large trend in architecture towards technology and plastic looking blobs? I'd much rather spend a week in a woodshop building a large scale mock-up of an interesting structural detail than sitting on my computer making an ultra-realistic render with birds flying through a moody sky. I realize the latter will need to happen eventually (maybe I'll even add a girl holding a balloon) but in terms of where I'd rather focus my time while in school I'd rather be covered in saw dust making sexy models and working out how things physically go together.

My dream would be to work for and eventually have a firm similar to Studio Mumbai. Their methodology is so in line with what I think is missing in today's architecutre and something I would love to pursue. I love the craft of architecture where details and materials are celebrated.

Also, who else feels this way about architecture in general?

Nov 18, 15 6:42 am
Beepbeep

University if Washington Seattle

University of Oregon

University of British Colombia

University of Virginia or Tech maybe

University of Colorado - Design Build Program Colorado building workshop doe nice projects you see on Dezeen ofton.

RISD maybe ? I think they are big on making things

I am sure others know more

Nov 18, 15 7:35 am  · 
 · 
good details

Cheers for the list!  I actually did my undergrad at the University of British Columbia.  From what I experienced when I was there it was much more focused on theory than practical building and craft knowledge.  The dean was trying to get the school more on track towards craft but I'm not sure how far along it has actually come. 

While doing informational interviews in Vancouver I actually spoke with a few principals of different firms who specifically said they do not hire UBC grads because they seem to come out of school with very little useful knowledge.  Again, generalizing here and maybe UBC's program has changed since I experienced it a few years ago.

Nov 18, 15 8:22 am  · 
 · 

The University of Cincinnati might be worth considering. Professors Terry Boling, Michael Zaretsky, and a few others routinely teach studios that would be right up your alley. Tuition is affordable and you can apply for in-state tuition after your first year, and the co-op program is icing on the cake.

Nov 18, 15 9:13 am  · 
 · 
3tk

I can attest to UVA and WashU (unless they've changed recently), Tulane as well.  Cincy is an excellent school with a great teaching faculty as David mentioned.  Minnesota used to do a fair amount of design build as well. With the state schools, you might be able to defer and establish residency to lower costs.  WashU has been known to offer great financial aid packages.

Older faculty will respond well to your interests, although I will say that you may be best remembering that a large portion of this is in practice and that academia is scrambling to keep up with technology to have graduates relevant in an increasingly BIM and parametric world.  Most employers recognize the value of individuals who understand the importance of the detail and materiality - you'll do well.

One thing you might do is go through the list of staff at the firms you love and see where they went to school (if they're the only alum, they may have been outliers, but you may see trends as well)

Nov 18, 15 10:40 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Craftsmanship sounds likes a good thesis topic to explore. You've taken a clear position on how you define it. Bring that attitude to any program. Sci-arc is heavy on digital but they also excel at crafting impeccable models and buildings. It's an expensive school but to say they don't consider materiality or how to build something is a bit naive. Also I recommend you check out Kengo Kuma. His material investigations and interpretation of traditional Japanese wood working is really interesting.
Nov 18, 15 10:51 am  · 
 · 
good details

Cheers for the insight David!  Cinci is definitely looking nice cost-wise and experience-wise!  Love the 3 terms of co-op but of course that comes at the cost of the M.Arch being a 4 year degree.  I'm also not sure about moving back to the mid-west.  I moved from the mid-west to the west coast and let's just say I didn't miss home much.  But damn does guaranteed job-experience while in school sound great!

3tk when you say WashU are you refering to WashU St. Louis or Washington State University?  If it's Wasington State I'm definitely interested, especially if they generally offer good financial aid packages.  Plus I love the west coast and the PNW style of architecture.  In regards to education I definitely want to learn Revit and contemporary technology but I also want to be be proficient in detailing and able to make CDs.  I feel that first knowing the details of how things go together can later on allow for creative and avant-garde design decisions that go against what would be considered the obvious way of building something.  "You gotta know the rules before you can break them."

no_form Thanks for the thoughts!  I guess having a good attitude going into any program is a great start.  I just want to make the most out of my M.Arch. I'd feel like I had completely wasted my time if I can't detail and only have a portfolio filled with flashy renders and circulation diagrams by the end of my degree.  I realize that it also depends on how I use my time but I know how little free-time I will have so pursuing extra knowledge beyond my enrolled courses and studio projects would be a pretty big stretch.  Also, thank you for mentioning Kengo Kuma!  Can't believe I forgot about him.  I am actually currently living in Japan and one of the main reasons I moved here is to explore the traditional Japanese methods of construction.  I have yet to see any of his buildings but was able to check out the steak house he did in Kyoto.  The details were fantastic!

Thanks everyone for the comments so far!  Looking forward to hearing more thoughts and maybe having a discussion about contemporary architecture and the notion of craft in general. Is it disappearing, what new ways is it being implimented, etc?

Nov 18, 15 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
good details

Just read through the thread on Job Market and the Profession and all of that is exactly what I want to avoid. I realize the majority of grad schools don't teach you the meat and bones of architecture and I also have a hard time believing I'm in the minority for wanting to learn detailing and how to put together a set of CDs. I think a lot of people just assume you'll be taught these things if you sign up for a "Masters" of architecture. Why are schools so hesitant to teach the important shit and why is it so hard to find the ones that do?

Nov 19, 15 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
JMK1

This has also been my "track", I have worked on some very old buildings and have alot of respect for craftmanship. I steadily gravitated to masonry as I studied ancient architecture, I bemused the temporary uses around me and longed for a time past when stone was carved and a building permanent. I studied vernacular architecture built by craftsman, not just without any formal education but NO education other than the trade skills passed from generation to generation, including slaves of the Southeastern United States.

Although I like the opportunities new materials allow us in making space, I always look for that warmth of old growth timber or that smooth, cold, cultured, carved stone....

Today, I feel we are pushed in one direction or another by the manufacturers that sell us a specification for a new material or assembly. I am still young but I have respect for the old ways. The trick is in the combination and understanding of both. 

Cheers  

Nov 20, 15 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Rbsm

talk on craft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRz24P6VCAY

Feb 13, 16 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

We had a good program at Southern Illinois Carbondale, Not that you can escape BIM but furniture making and an excellent model shop as well as faculty who are also practicing architects might make this small program one to check out. The trick I think is to master BIM, Revit in particular,  so you can use the tool to communicate your design not the other way around. I think the schools that are trying to train competent architects in the basics of craft and professional skills are not always going to be the top schools in design and design thinking. But solving a tricky wood framing connection detail is no less important that some theory about what a form of a building means. Also consider a school where you can double major in art or construction management, having a studio where craft is paramount can be a refreshing break from the paper architecture that is sometimes a bit too far from reality to be of much use.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 13, 16 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
good details

Roberto Burboa: Thanks for that link.  That talk was really enjoyable and it was awesome to hear some of Kundig's thoughts.  The notion of craft becoming a fetish was a great insight and something I may be currently guilty of.  Craft for the sake of craft certainly causes it to lose autonomy.  There are a number of great related videos that youtube suggests that I'm planning to watch in the upcoming days.  Thanks again!

Peter Normand: "The trick I think is to master BIM, Revit in particular,  so you can use the tool to communicate your design not the other way around."

Great tip and I completely agree!  I definitely want to learn the most relevant digital tools but I don't want that to be the only thing I learn.  Thanks for the insight into Southern Illinois Carbondale.  At the moment I'm weighing a school's location heavily into my decisions and having grown up in St. Louis, the idea of going back to that area really bums me out.  It's a shame so many great sounding schools are in less-than desirable locations...  Not sure if I should just suck it up for ~3 years or to try to go somewhere that is exciting to me culturally and environmentally.  I'll try to find schools offering architecture + construction management as I hadn't even thought of that route before.

Feb 16, 16 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: