Archinect
anchor

Boise ID modern architecture job

tmly

Hi all, we are in Seattle and moving to some potential locations next year that includes Boise ID. I wonder what Boise architectural scene feels like and the how is the employment opportunity there? My background in Seattle is high end modern house and urban mixed used residential. I understand there would be no comparison to Seattle but i'd like to have some info, especially from people works in Boise before we can make a decision. Thanks in advance.

Nov 12, 15 11:15 am
Good_Knight

A million dollars.

Nov 12, 15 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

^Obviously doesn't understand when to troll...

Partial answer to your question - I've several classmates who ended up working there doing schools and the sort.  I can't say with any certainty that there's much to be had in the residential sector, but there may still be.  

Nov 12, 15 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Well they do have this: 

Nov 12, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just read that Meridian (west suburb) was just listed as the #1 city for economic opportunity…know a company there that does timber framing/log, some modern interpretations…looking to get more architectural and has big money behind them…the design arm is called MTN Design.

Nov 12, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

Alright: straight answer:  Send me your resumes.  I know several partners of the larger firms that are hiring.  Not kidding.  I don't know if this website offers the ability to PM, though so maybe everyone who would want to send stuff to me is SOL.

Nov 12, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
tmly

We've been to Boise a few times and like the downtown historic district and the foot hill house a lot, I'm talking about older house in these established neighborhood.I don't know if there is a sizable demand for renovation for those old charming yet expensive residential. I thought it would be. Looking at AIA architect finder site for Boise and seems like there are a lot of those bigger firm doing institution / retail, tons of log house design firms, and a few very small firms. My guess is modern design if there is any, would come from these 1-2-person firms. Any take? Thanks for the comment as always

Nov 12, 15 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

There are too many mom and pop (literally in the case of the largest in Boise area!) res drafting companies for a legit architect to compete.  Its a race to the bottom here.  Not enough hours in the day.  I've done a handful of custom residential projects in the area and I know all the major (well...minor really) designers in the res market.  I just do residential for fun for wealthy clients I know I trust and will pay well.  Other than that let the drafting piranhas have the rest.  Not worth it.

Nov 12, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
tmly

@Good_Knight, where are most of your project located if you don't mind I ask, and renovation or new construction. What do you think of the new construction market for Boise? I mean modern houses. My far relative just have a remodel drawn by a drafting company. They ended up hiring a real architecture firm to re-design and draft it, for their house in McCall. So far doesn't look very good for an career that I want to pursue

Nov 12, 15 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

tmly get me a copy of your resume and I'll chat offline about specifics.  (no I don't know how that is going to work here without an option to PM)

Nov 12, 15 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
tmly

@Good_Knight: I just did

Nov 12, 15 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: