Archinect
anchor

Tenant Improvement - Do I need a M/E/P consultant?

ArchQuestion

Hi there - 

I'm working on a small tenant  improvement project - it's a dog wash and pet supply store in Southern California. We are adding new dog wash tubs and a new ADA restroom. Also all new lighting. The HVAC is existing but there are new fans going in, etc. 

The city is requesting electrical panel schedules and wanting to see all the circuits on an electrical plan. They are also requesting plumbing plans and details for things like the new floor drains, "isometric drawings" of the piping, etc.

I know on larger projects these kinds of mechanical, electrical and plumbing issues are generally handled by an outside consultant. Is a licensed architect expected to know how to do all of this stuff on a smaller project? I'm an interior designer with a background in architecture and not a licensed architect. I was just curious if these are items a licensed architect would typically provide and/or would they use an outside consultant? 

Thanks for any insight, help or tips. Much appreciated!

Nov 11, 15 7:15 pm
curtkram

if you're an interior designer, why not let the architect worry about the architect stuff?

there are a couple of ways i've handled this before.  sometimes with a consultant, sometimes through the contractor.  my current firm won't touch mep, but i worked for an architect that did. 

if you were an architect, you should know what a plumbing riser is, even if you're not the one drawing it. 

Nov 11, 15 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
ArchQuestion

This is just an interior remodel so I felt qualified to help. I was just wondering how licensed architects had approached this when it's smaller MEP items. I identify as a designer - either interior or exterior  - I've done everything from remodels to custom homes, interiors, etc. 

Nov 11, 15 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Does the city want stamped drawings? I suspect that you prob need an architect, but the city website should tell you their expectations

Nov 11, 15 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Just you using quotes for isometric tells me you have no fucking idea what you are doing so why not get some help?

Nov 11, 15 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

North is up.

Nov 11, 15 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I did all MEP for light commercial projects, like yours. Not uncommon.

Nov 11, 15 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Where are you in southern California? Maybe an architect reading this near you will be happy to give you a call, see what is required, and provide you with an initial estimate.

Apr 7, 16 9:27 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

This kinds of questions kill me.  If you want to know what the city requires why not ask the city????

Apr 7, 16 9:29 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

this thread was resurrected from months ago.  i assume the dog wash and pet supply store is either open and operating, or it's not going to go forward as a project.

Apr 7, 16 10:02 am  · 
 · 
makingspace
If you are in LA you need an MEP. Probably $3,000 tops.
Apr 7, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

In California, that project legally requires an architect anyway...

Apr 7, 16 11:32 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Resurrected by spammer. 

Apr 7, 16 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: