Archinect
anchor

1 yr MBA + Design focus

Narcus

Does anyone know of any good programs like MMM at Kellogg. 

I looked up at google but cant get good reviews or class/alumni profiles. 

Nov 8, 15 12:26 am
Beepbeep

Design is not colored sticky notes, all of these "design thinking" programs are bullshit. Let's write on a white board and post sticky notes, but yet these people get the 100k plus a year jobs.

Nov 8, 15 8:27 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

From the MMM program description:

Design innovation creates customer and business value by using design-centric tools, such as empathy and deep human understanding, visualization, prototyping, and iteration.

Absolutely bullshit. Design thinking is what used to be called problem solving. Prototyping and iteration are how people have always figured out problems, and empathy is something your parents teach you when you're little. Who knows what they mean by "deep understanding" and "visualization."

Please consider going to school for engineering, or anything useful. The world doesn't need more business people.

Nov 8, 15 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Narcus
This is exactly what I'm concerned with that the program will turn out to be dilute. I'm looking for a short mba with focus for archit cure. All I'm getting is 3yr dual degrees in March and mba. Any ideas ?

Do you think a mba is needed to run a 40 people architecture and construction firm from your experience ?
Nov 8, 15 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I will say this... you cannot be an expert in everything if you want to be an architect be an architect. Your 40 person firm will have an office manager, business development, marketing, etc. You will hire staff or partner with other with the additional skills, if you want to be in the business of design firms then skip architecture and get an MBA then get a job. Everyone thinks they can do everything but you just can't be the best at everything stick with your natural skill-set and go after it. To be inter-disciplinary first you have to have a disciple was always good advise. 

Nov 8, 15 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

+1: I suppose the MBA in design thinking is geared toward people wanting to run design start-ups and larger design firms, but seems like too little substance and more just paper.  Most MBAs are finding out that they're worthless w/o experience.  With work experience and a design background to begin with, it might be useful to move into board positions at the corporate offices.  At 40 people, an architecture firm is still largely relying on a consultancy to cover the larger business strategies and mostly self sufficient with someone in the firm having experience running the business side of the practice.  in the 70+ range I've seen more of the boardroom...

Nov 11, 15 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: