Archinect
anchor

Engineer Working At an Architectural Firm?

tyniguez

Hello,

I'm a civil/environmental engineer who wants to transition to architecture, but am not planning to apply for my M.Arch program until the 2017 school year. I currently work at a civil/environmental firm and do not like it at all. Is anyone aware of any jobs or skills that someone with my experience could attribute to an architecture firm or any positions I should keep a look out for? So far I've done a good amount of construction management and project management for both Structural projects and geotechnical projects. I also have experience with permitting work and planning work, such as EIR (for California) and other environmental impacts. On top of this, I have my general technical training by dealing with building and project drawings, plans and specifications. I also know how to use microsoft project, Adobe acrobat (and BlueBeam Revu) and AutoCAD. 

I've been working here for a few years already and I'm not sure how much longer I want to stay, but I want to have a plan for the meantime. 

Let me know any advice or questions you may have! I appreciate it. 

Tyler 

Nov 6, 15 11:44 am
geezertect

Why?

Nov 8, 15 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
If you're making good money and you're good at what you do, ultimately it's a career that allows you to live a nice life.

Doing an M.Arch is going to cost you over $100,000, 2-3 years of your time (you will have to do a full time program, not night school), and will qualify you for essentially entry level jobs.

regardless of where you are in Cali your average annual take home pay with an m.arch and no architectural experience will be around $35-45k.

I'm guessing you're making a lot more now and probably want to do something more rewarding over the next 3 years of your life.
Nov 8, 15 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: