Archinect
anchor

Draft Portfolio Crit

Hey all,

Currently in the process of putting together my grad school applications (GSD, Yale, UPenn, Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, WUSTL, Syracuse). Portfolio is still in the working, but I'd love if I could get some feedback on it so far. Some content is missing, and some images / text are just placeholders. 

Feedback on layout, content, graphics, clarity, proportions, ect. All would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!!

http://issuu.com/lourouu/docs/gradappportfolio_pages/1

Nov 4, 15 6:21 pm
JLC-1

Looks great, I don't know about grad school evaluation of portfolios, but with your experience I would expect a couple of construction documentation examples.

Layout, fonts, graphics; all very good.

Nov 4, 15 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Nothing terribly offensive, but fuck this is boring. That's way too many schools, and they're all over the place (just a generic list of "good schools" that doesn't seem to have any intelligent thought behind it). The upper range of your list won't even give this a second look.

Nov 4, 15 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Your hand drawings are the real show piece. There are so many big photos of crappy existing buildings taking up page after page. Why? Stop it please.

Also, way too many diagrams of things that don't matter. And where is the architecture? There is only two renderings and one section of an actual building you designed that I remember.
Nov 4, 15 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

Thank you for not putting PORTFOLIO on your front cover.

With that said, I second Splines comments above.  Everything is very "nice" but nothing is particularly interesting or leaves a lasting impression.  Schools, especially top tier schools, want students that not only know how to pick out a font and lay things out but their portfolio has some sort of ambition or articulates to the viewer some sort of concerted interest the student has in architecture.  I'm not sure if that is the clearest way to express what I mean, but this portfolio seems to lack a certain amount of soul.  

Nov 4, 15 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
lourou

@JLC-1 After doing some research and reaching out to faculty at graduate program who are on the admissions board, I've been told that schools already expect graduates from an undergraduate architecture program to be able to produce technical drawings. I wanted to highlight more of the process and inspiration behind projects rather than the technicalities. If that makes any sense? I'm also not sure if it's appropriate to insert professional work, since I'm just an intern and only have minor roles in projects. 

@no_form @Spoons I was hoping to use the real life splash pages to show the quality of the urban grit that my projects are based in. I was hoping to highlight the process and intent of the design proposals. But I can see how that, along with the minimal style layout isn't being provocative enough. 

Nov 4, 15 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: