Archinect
anchor

M.ARCH applications. Personal Statement help.

ccarry

Currently applying to Grad school. My top choice is Parsons but I am applying to a few other places. My teacher recommendations, portfolio, and all other requirements are in and accounted for. What is left is the Personal statement. Most schools require 500-700 words and I am having the hardest time getting started on it. More creative, personal style writing has always stressed me out and I am hitting a major writers block. Anyone have any advice?

Nov 3, 15 2:42 pm
tduds

Why do you want to be an architect and what have you done so far to get yourself there?

Answer in 500-700 words, paragraph form.

Be specific but not so specific that you look like a name droper / resume padder. Focus less on how much you've done and more on how passionately you've pursued the things you have done. Tread a line between self-deprecating honesty and bragging honesty.

Read as many statements on issuu as you can find. Learn what not to do from those, then don't do it. Good luck.

Nov 3, 15 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
ccarry

Thanks! That is helpful. I think the fact that its the last thing to check off the list is making me nervous! 

Nov 3, 15 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

Why I like Architecture.

Why I like You.

Why you might like me.

Stress why you and the school are a good fit together, and don't be shy to be proud of your achievements. You have tons to write about design schools, especially with Parsons--their location, their foundation program (not sure if they still have it), their faculty, strong connections with the NY design industry.... What I'm suggesting is  what could make up a safe, generic essay. Hope it somewhat helps you.

Nov 3, 15 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: