Archinect
anchor

Help on how to develop a facade section with examples

Ashfaq96

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum. I am in desperate need of developing a typical facade detail to start off with for my youth hostel design of my year 2 studio project. Please can anyone guide me through it now...

Nov 3, 15 12:28 pm
Non Sequitur

Have you tried asking your studio and/or building envelop professor(s)... or... gulp, discussing ideas with your fellow classmates?

Nov 3, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ashfaq96

Yes..i have but the problem is i am lacking the basics of understanding and reading facade details. My structural system is using column and beams and the structural material is reinforced concrete. Could you please help me to develop a detail for this. also appropriate layering..Thank You

Nov 3, 15 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

read more.

someone in your studio must have graphic standards, somewhere. if not, well... shit.

Nov 3, 15 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ashfaq96

Can you please provide me with some online examples for now that i can make use of it before the studio tomorrow..been searching on this for days but still cant get used to understanding it.

Nov 3, 15 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I am pretty sure learning "the basics of understanding" is why you're in school.

Don't tell your fellow classmates this secret... but all universities have these special rooms filled with shelves called "libraries". In there, if you're careful and are successful at slaying the dragon(s), you'll find an endless bounty of reference material.

Use this new power with care.

edit: searching for days? where... behind the refrigerator? For fuck's sake, students are getting lazier and lazier.

Nov 3, 15 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ashfaq96

Haha..i understand that..but the problem is i have to submit this facade detail design with a physical model of 1:20 on this friday I am panicking that i have not done anything yet. :(

Nov 3, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

then, maybe as soon as you're done catching up on extremely basic wall assemblies, you can spend some time learning how to better manage your time.

Nov 3, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Go to the library, look for the journal Detail and the Birkhauser construction manuals. Get to know the library.

Nov 3, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

anonitect-is there an app for that?  

Nov 3, 15 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yesterday after class, somewhere in a university faculty office... (The names and topics have been changed to protect the identity of the not-stupid-but-hopelessly-lazy):

Student: "I can't find the stuff in the readings on Widgets"

Citizen: "Did you look through the textbooks?"

St: "Yeah, I can't find it"

C: "Well, let's look through them now"

St: "I don't have them with me... they're too heavy"

C, skimming the table of contents in 8 seconds: "Chapter 15 - Widgets"

St: "I was looking in the other book"

C, skimming the other book: "Chapter 12- "Widgeting Basics"

St: [yet another excuse uttered with an attitude of entitlement, the specifics of which I don't recall]

Nov 3, 15 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

A google image search seems to be the bar for "research" lately.

Nov 3, 15 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ And that's if you can get them to use it in the first place.

Nov 3, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

^ even a google image search would get someone started for this particular topic.

It might be helpful if you know what type of facade assembly you wanted a detail of though. "Typical facade detail" could be a lot of things on a youth hostel.

citizen: That's good! [edit:] both comments.

Nov 3, 15 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

Use easy button in grasshopper?

Nov 3, 15 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

http://buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-001-the-perfect-wall

This should be bookmarked on every architecture student's browser.

Nov 3, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Lstiburek is a hero.

Nov 3, 15 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Andrew; good link.

Nov 3, 15 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Ashfaq96

@Andrew. 

Thank You so much for the link. Was helpful indeed. I have got my basics better now. 

Nov 4, 15 2:13 am  · 
 · 
jacobshirley

@Ashfaq96 - it's supper easy to design your facade. I'm not sure by your original post if you want to design it, or to detail your design for CD's.  But if it's design, then do this - 

• First - look up a material on http://spec.ninja
  • Click on the triangle in the top left corner and hit 'Add to Material Board'
  • Repeat for each material
  • In the material board, add a description or concept images, set the order of the materials, add paint swatches to them ect.
  • Choose a paper size for 'Export for Print'
Dec 22, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

learning "the basics of understanding" is why you're in school.

agreed!, so get a job and then ask other people to do and be knowledgeable about your responsibility :\, Where dey do dat at!?!

Dec 22, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Zombie thread... or should I say this thread got ninja'd like a few others.

Dec 22, 16 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: