Archinect
anchor

Construction Management....

manoverde84

The local university here offers a cheap construction management certificate that covers all the basics from bidding, estimating, project management. It's cheap, flexible and nearby. I can afford it out of pocket and want to jump on it but what do employers think of just having a certificate in the field? It's not graduate level work but I would like to have the foundations covered.

I found another university that offers dual online and campus classes in construction management that lead to a masters program. Only issue is it's expensive and I would need financial aid, but I would love to have a masters out there considering my level of work experience is still considered entry level.

Anyone here work in a construction, arch or engineering firm? I would like to move up to being a project manager or field engineer. Usually I know that in this trade degrees matter less vs experience but I would love to move up and was wondering just what would be the course for me? Is a certificate sufficient? Would it look better to have the masters?

Oct 29, 15 9:24 pm
wurdan freo

If you have a BS in arch... don't worry about additional schooling. Polish up the resume and highlight any construction related experience.  Good attitude at this point is worth more than experience. Apply for project engineer or field engineer positions. Degree is highly valued by the bigger contracting companies and many won't hire for PM track positions without one. Trade experience is beneficial, but only required if you are looking to become a superintendent. Keep studying and keep learning, but get paid to do it. 

Oct 30, 15 1:33 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

My situation is a bit different. I don't have a BA in architecture. My bachelors was in economics and minor in mathematics. I went back to school to earn certificates in engineering and architectual technology, CAD and mechanical drafting. I just got hired with a firm not too long ago and am looking to further my studies and move up. This is a whole other ballgame than from traditional arch. 

Maybe in the future I'll go back to get an M.arch but for now I need to just know what I can do with what I have. Would adding an additional certificate in construction management help at all? Or would it just be best to suck it up and go for the masters? The masters programs is at the NewSchool in San Diego. It's online and sounds legit but it costs an arm and a leg, and I don't know what NewSchools reputation is like among employers in the field. How is it looked upon? How would a graduate certificate in construction management look from a university look by comparison? 

Oct 30, 15 2:35 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Anyone? 

Oct 30, 15 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Agree with Wurdan, but if you don’t have an arch degree then the CM certificate will help….the main reason the construction industry likes to hire architects is that they can read drawings….if you can draw one you certainly can read one….their greatest fear is missing something....think your platform fits the bill and an enhancement will only help.

Oct 30, 15 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

ab Yes! I didn't have the luxury of going back to school full time to do an m.arch so I took the road of architectual technology. I learned revitt, engineering, architectual auto cad and mechanical drafting and blue print reading. It culminated in a certificate degree. Is this sufficient for construction firms? 

Next is to couple it with a construction management degree while working to get the experience. I will learn bidding, estimating, project management, more blueprint reading and the latest software tools like primavera. That's the certificate program which teaches all the basics. I would be comfortable with finishing there but the thought of a masters degree always calls me, especially from an architecture school. Although it's expensive and it better be worth the investment which is why I ask what the reputation is for NewSchool in San Diego. 

Please guys give me all the advice you can. Thanks for replying! 

Oct 30, 15 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Where did you guys go? Any more info?

Nov 2, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Seems like an on-line ABET-accredited Civil Engineering bachelors program with an emphasis on structures would fit your needs much better. The University of North Dakota has one and I imagine others will be coming on-line soon. You can pick up a Masters in Civil Engineering later, several years down the road.

Nov 3, 15 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

What else do you want to know? I would still put my resume out there before exploring more schooling. Many posts on here about finding a job... end of the day... best jobs are easier to get by leveraging your network.

Nov 5, 15 11:20 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

The only other thing I wanted to know was New School of Architectures reputation as a design school. 

Nov 6, 15 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

i dont believe they are a stand-out program in terms of rep. GSAPP and Cooper have more clout in nyc. I can't speak to the actual quality of the education but I bet it's really overpriced.

Nov 7, 15 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Well that's says a lot! LOL, I was talking about New School of Arch and Design in San Diego, not New School NYC 

Nov 7, 15 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
eco_gen

As a person who currently works for a General Contractor, I would tell you to stop doing school now. Your additional certificate which taught you drafting and mechanical engineering is great! If you can study for your PMP and get your PMP, that would be even better to add to what you have.

Have you done any physical construction? I would contact your local Habitat for Humanity office and start volunteering if you haven't so you can get your feet wet. Getting some familiarity on the sites would be really helpful for you. I have a couple of friends that I have known in the industry who have the undergrad in business and then did a certificate in drafting, etc and went directly into the path of being a construction project manager. They are doing just fine and are all on the path to management after. The entry level job for the project manager path is a project engineer or project coordinator. Basically, you are taking meeting minutes, processing drawings, RFI's, shop drawings, Change Orders, etc. It will take some time to climb the ladder, but the hands on training is priceless. A couple of years under a great project manager or a great superintendent and you will be golden! They always need paper pushers on sites. Part of a being a project manager is managing the project budget and staying on track, so your business courses should be helpful. 

If you land with the right company, they will have an in house training programs or will give you money towards classes in areas you are deficient.

Also, check with your local construction association and see if you can get paired with a mentor. If you have the right connections, you can get a job anywhere. 

Nov 11, 15 12:30 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Thats great news. The certs I earned were actually in architectual/engineering and mechanical drafting. They weren't in mechanical engineering. It was pretty much an architectual engineering tech degree. I know basic cad and Revitt. The local union here offers an apprenticeship in drwayall contracting. I was thinking about signing up to learn basic construction, interiors and acoustics. My bachelors was in economics not business. I don't know management just basic numbers, math and stats. But by comparison Econ is much harder than business and it would be a breeze for me. I just figured I would have to learn basics like estimating, bidding, and project management. But those are learned on the job right? But let's say I decide to pursue a masters in construction manangement and learned all the basics and an even the advanced stages plus did the apprenticeship? How would that make me look in the construction trade? Would it give me a leg up? Im not even looking to work for the big boys like Skanska but a mid size firm. So trade experience + bachelors + masters or certificate in construction management. How does that look? Either way I'm taking your advice and getting a mentor. I'm sure either way I'm definitely getting a job in the field   

Nov 12, 15 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: