Archinect
anchor

Taking a year course in the US just to get work experience, with this portfolio, is it possible?

yow0712

Hi all,

I completed my degree and master in Malaysia and UK and I am now looking to take a year course at a university in the US. My primary,probably the only intention to do so is get some work experience after graduated from the uni.

I am just wondering based on my portfolio (link attached below), is it possible for me to get a job in the US.

http://issuu.com/yow0712/docs/archinect-portfolio_150_

I am currently an architectural assistant in a London-based company in its Beijing office where the projects are basically everywhere, London, Mumbai, China but they are all not built projects, but all at conceptual design stage. This is what this company does. I also have a year of working experience in Singapore but it was back in 2012.

Based on your professional experience, would this portfolio potentially get me a job after my graduation? 

Thanks,

Yohan

Oct 26, 15 1:33 am

I think you need to research the work visa and green card system before you pursue this much further, the US is very hostile to immigration right now and it is illegal to employ people who are not naturalized citizens or who hold one of the very limited workers visas. 

Oct 26, 15 9:20 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Peter, don't forget permanent residents are allowed to work as well!

I agree with Peter, there are other factors to consider before just showing up with a portfolio or book in your case.

If you have the necessary visa and are legally allowed to work in the U.S., this portfolio is too long for my taste and I got bored after 20 pages. Nice graphics but I think it can be reduced down significantly. 

Oct 26, 15 9:33 am  · 
 · 
no_form
What's a year course? A post professional degree? Definitely need to figure out your visa situation. Portfolio is nice but too long.

Also, there are more than plenty of architects who do what you do here. What makes you special? There's nothing really setting you apart. You also don't know how to build in the US which is an additional expense for companies here.
Oct 26, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 
yow0712

Thanks for the replies.

I am totally aware of my need for a work visa.  International students are eligible to apply Optional Practical Training (OPT) which allows them to work for a year in the US. After that, they will need to be sponsored to continue working legally in the US. Also, I am really going to apply to a uni just to get a job, what courses do you think I should take to help me on getting a job, i was looking at urban planning, architectural engineering and real estate management. Any suggestions? 

Peter Normand,

Thanks, for now, green card is not my option but work visa definitely is. I am just wondering that assuming I have the appropriate visa, would my work land me a job in the US as I always thought buildings in US speak masculinity but my approach is always feminine (sorry could not really find a way to describe the difference). Also, they are all conceptual projects, I believe this is going to affect too. 

poop876,

I agreed. I do know it's too long too just I am not sure whether I should cut down the pages by removing some projects or removing some of the development pages but keeping the number of projects.I was thinking to show my experience in various types of projects. I am just wondering if my works are good enough to get a job in the US.

rob_c,

I agreed. I do have the knowledge of construction and things but i believe it will be really different when it comes to real life and how you apply it, that is why I am wondering if my work experience at my current office is going to help me in the future. From your reply, it seems like international students need to be very good and exceptional to be hired in the US. What do you think will be a good course to study to increase my chance of getting a job?

Oct 27, 15 6:46 am  · 
 · 
yow0712

Oct 28, 15 6:17 am  · 
 · 
yow0712

· 
yow0712

· 
yow0712

· 
yow0712

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: