Archinect
anchor

Best Science Fiction movies

Oh god EKE that movie was incredible, mind so blown by it!

Nov 12, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Yeah, it's a mind blower for sure.  Especially when you know that Shane Carruth wrote, directed, wrote the music, and acted in it himself.  and did it all for $7000.  It's a little bit of genius. 

Nov 12, 15 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Very nerdy with awful audio, amateurish writing, and wooden acting but it was good, especially considering the budget.

Safety Not Guaranteed is a good and (relatively) low budget time travel piece that takes place in the present.

Good time travel films are really difficult to pull off, comedy seems to make it easier.

Blast from the Past has a bunker-raised Brendan Fraser emerging from a doomsday shelter into the modern world. Peggy Sue Got Married has a divorced Kathleen Turner transported back to high school. Time Rider has Fred Ward as a bewildered motorcycle racer in the wild west.

Run Lola Run could be considered time travel. One of my favorites.

Just Visiting with Jean Reno is on my watch list.

A more serious film is The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey, where medieval knights emerge into an incomprehensible modern world. Also have to mention Donnie Darko.

I continue to be surprised that Jack Finny's (Invasion of the Body Snatchers) excellent novels Time and Again and From Time to Time have never been made into films. But that's OK as I have rarely found a film that did justice to the novel.

Nov 12, 15 10:42 am  · 
 · 

Safety Not Guaranteed was adorable but not very sciencey.

I'd say Twelve Monkeys is my favorite time travel movie. I don't especially enjoy the topic of time travel as I'm utterly convinced that it's not possible. Maybe that's why I liked Primer, because it's juts an uncontrollable mess.

Nov 12, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
marrycolins

Hollywood has made many good and amazing sci-fi movies, and the best one according to me is District 9 and Guardians of the galaxy. Both are amazing movies and a mixture of good story, action, humor and thrill. But according to Top Film Production Companies  , everyone has got his own choice of movies. Have a good weekend.

Dec 24, 16 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Rogue One... Freakin' amazing... go see it... and Merry Christmas...

Dec 24, 16 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

children of men

Dec 25, 16 1:51 am  · 
 · 

@Sam agreed, and on a related note Abraham Riesman makes the case in December 26th issue of NY Magazine.

Dec 26, 16 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Totally digressing but I was rewatching Batman v Superman earlier and apparently the Farnsworth House was featured?

Gotta hand it to Snyder, he has an eye for details!

Dec 29, 16 9:30 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Am a sucker for Terry Gilliam movies, recently enjoyed his The Zero Theorem. I  guess I like my sci-fi with a hint of absurdist surrealism. I was recently hoping this soundbite from a Miss K8 track was taken from an undiscovered sci-fi gem, but unfortunately it was from 1976's drama Network, no sci-fi but a gem nonetheless, especially the rants are epic and still feel on point today, will we ever learn?

Dec 30, 16 6:18 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

ARRIVAL

Jan 3, 17 11:35 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

^ I need to watch that and Passenger.

Jan 3, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Arrival? The movie whose poster was caught photoshopping hk and shanghai together? Another reason to catch it i guess

Jan 3, 17 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

Vanilla Sky, plus some of the movies previously mentioned on this thread.

Jan 3, 17 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

anyone seen Alien:Covenant?  Had high hopes for this one, but doesn't seem to be getting good reviews... hmmm... not holding out much hope for Blade runner 2049 either... guess there's always The Last Jedi to look forward to...

Sep 11, 17 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Nats

The only film that had a truly massive impact on my life from then on was Star Wars. But Alien was very good as well. Forbidden Planet gave me a few nightmares as a child.

Oh and you forgot Tron and The Black Hole. Just watched the last Tron film and it was very good despite the fact it didn't feature any tanks.

Brazil is also one of my favourites - never get sick of watching that film.

Sep 12, 17 3:49 am  · 
 · 
shivamkumar

I think the 2 movies that should have definitely made it to the list are 

1. INTERSTELLAR
Time Dilation was one scientific concept which the movie absolutely nailed. Key to the the plot, time dilation served to heighten the drama and elicit gut-wrenching emotion on several occasions.
 We can feel Cooper's joy turn to pain as he watches how his son has been sending out hopeful messages out into space all these years.

2.HER
It is a story of a man who falls in love with an operating system. The latest operating system is self-learning and adaptive. It starts as a personal assistant, it soon becomes a companion and then a love interest. It is a thoroughly unusual love story.

While being a love story, it presents a future which frightens you with its probability. 

I think there are some more movies which have the potential to make it to the top Sci Fi movies. Please feel free to read it from over here https://blindetop10.wixsite.co...

Sep 15, 17 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

Anybody watch "Under the Skin" with Scarlett Johansson? It unnerved me, but I thought it was very well done.

Sep 15, 17 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

Ha! Let me know if you feel the same way after watching the movie ;)

Sep 15, 17 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I saw it and I'd still do her

Sep 15, 17 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

The trailer for mortal engines-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsFc2gguEg

Jun 8, 18 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

That looks awful. Even more so since they stole the title of one of the great Stanislaw Lem books.

Jun 8, 18 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Well, the book it's inspired by stole the Lem title, so they're 1/2 off the hook. I'll likely watch this when it his the tiny screen to compare it to snowpiercer. But only when there is a looming deadline

Jun 9, 18 10:11 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

A netflicks series I liked from a sci-fi point;  Altered Carbon

Jun 11, 18 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Shocked no one has mentioned this one but I though Ex Machina was a great movie. Not even a fan of SciFi... but the whole movie is in this beautiful high modern house. Cool stuff if you are into AI stuff 

Jun 11, 18 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

on Netflix:

Orbiter 9

Dark

Glitch

Stranger Things

Jun 11, 18 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
briansides

I saw a sci-fi movie and the only thing I remember is a zoom out from the final scene, to that planet, that star system, that galaxy, that universe, finally to a few balls on a landscape with a large hand reaching down to toy with the balls....

any idea what that movie might be? [email protected]

Apr 6, 19 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Men in Black?

Apr 7, 19 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: