Archinect
anchor

summer job in detroit

ALDAVIS

Im currently studying at USC I had this thought the other day about looking for a summer internship/work outside of Los Angeles, one city that came to mind is Detroit.  because I am concerned with the development of a new model city and the kinds of solutions that are being worked on in that city as it goes through this revitalization process.  I am really into 'avant garde' ideas and solutions for example I have begun to read and study about the work of superstudio during the late 60s and into the 70s. I am interested in how these ideas can translate and manifest in a place like detroit which is essentially starting from scratch. 

I was wondering if anybody could provide any advice as to firms to look towards or if Detroit is even a viable place to spend time and work, if the pay offered there is competitive and what kind of experience could be expected? 

I wish I could articulate my thoughts more clearly, but I hope a reader can kind of understand the person I am and what I am proposing here in this thread. I'm basically sort of a cynical anarchist, I don't believe in money, I think aliens are real and that they (the govt) have reptilian fossils hidden in fort knox. I am very concerned with underground movements and energy and I am wondering what kind of opportunities lie in a city like Detroit for a young designer. How the new city can be influenced or if it can even be influenced by more radical design concepts. If there are in fact firms/people there that are doing this kind of work and who they are. 

Oct 21, 15 1:52 am
Carrera

^ Sounds like my kind of guy. I had a practice in Detroit…big money there despite the gossip, but for what you’re looking for you might want to start with the Detroit Revitalization Fellows sponsored by Wayne State University…also look at the city planning departments, also planning jobs are or were available at the University of Detroit Mercy….don’t think you will find what you’re looking for sending resumes to firms.

http://detroitfellows.wayne.edu/

Oct 21, 15 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

the Detroit Collaborative Design Studio, affiliated with the UDM, just received a huge grant.  They would be a good place to start.  Even if they can't help immediately, they could be a great source for connections to various community groups and and similar organizations throughout the city.

Oct 21, 15 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: