Archinect
anchor

Getting to know architecture

prairie-manhattan

Does anyone have recommendations for reading up on architecture for a beginner/ potential architecture student? Are there some classic informative books or inspiring material I shouldn't miss out on? I'm speaking very broadly here. 

Please don't be negative. I just want to know what some good sources are.

Oct 18, 15 4:21 pm
geezertect

Architect? by Roger Lewis

Oct 18, 15 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Go for a walk and sketch some buildings or interiors. More informative than some boring book about Greek and Roman architecture.
Oct 18, 15 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

it's an interesting question on a few levels, because I would advise if you are going to architecture school for various reasons these would apply:

You want a paying job someday - Architectural Graphics by D.F. Ching

You want to work at 'designy' and slightly 'political' firm - S, M, L, XL by Rem Koolhaas

You think you may be the top of your class and will get a job at a trending starchitect's firm requiring knowledge practically no one will ever need - learn Grasshopper and read The Autopoiesis of Architecture: A New Framework for Architecture

You just want to do good architecture....like Rob_C says, no reading, just go out and start sketching what you see.

Oct 18, 15 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I enjoyed the biography on Philip Johson by Franz Schulz(?) - it was recommended to me by an admissions officer when I was applying to college.  Approachable and is a good insight into an era in architecture.

Oct 18, 15 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
prairie-manhattan

Thanks so much! 

Oct 18, 15 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

In addition to what Olaf said, I suggest: http://www.miltonstricker.com

Read and study and practice (ie. sketch patterns observed through visual abstraction from what you see in nature or environment. Incorporate  pattern in the visual 'words' used to compose the visual story (the form) of the building. Bring the patterns together into a composition. Sources of pattern can be from microscopic (patterns within a leaf) to macroscopic (patterns within a larger landscape).

A few lessons from Frank Lloyd Wright and nature as a source. From there, you refine the design into the technically refined version addressing all the technical issues.

It isn't just about getting a job and money that pays but also designing good work that people are willing to pay money for.

Oct 20, 15 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: