Archinect
anchor

Architecture undergraduate thesis topic selection

sanjay92neupane

Hello,

I am getting ready to start thesis, and im really freaking out. I am confused how to select the best topic.Should i approach to small project or big project.I m a bit interested in mixed use development buildings (high rise ),but i think it would be a big project to go with.Any idea or thought about thesis topic selection?

Oct 18, 15 4:21 pm
no_form
There's no such thing as the best topic. One doesn't select a topic. A project is not a thesis. You already have defined a building typology.

My suggestion is you learn what a thesis is, reflect on your personal interests and thoughts about what architecture is. Then formulate a highly specific question.

Abandon the word project. Abandon the pre selection of a building typology. Did you ever think that a thesis doesn't even have to end up with a building?

You may want to put off doing a thesis...
Oct 18, 15 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

do your thesis on the meaning of thesis

Oct 20, 15 2:03 am  · 
 · 

what type of school are you in and how much time do you have to do your thesis project?

Oct 22, 15 7:22 am  · 
 · 
alrightalright

second to rob_c.

you are not ready for a thesis if you have predetermined a building use. you should seriously consider asking the administration if you can enroll in a studio instead of going about thesis, which some schools do.

if you can't identify a question that is extremely meaningful to you, then thesis will be torturous, which it already is for you.

Oct 22, 15 8:53 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

my 2 cents,

- what kind of firm do you see your self working for 10 yrs from now?

- what lead you to want to pursue architecture in the first place

- your idea's on architect as a freshman vs your ideas on architecture as a thesis student

so on and so forth

breaker breaker, ove and out

Oct 22, 15 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

This might be the most depressing version of this question I've seen yet.

Oct 23, 15 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
An.Ma

@rob_c...I second that ! every single word! Especially the fact that thesis need not be a building!

@sanjay92neupane..I'm guessing you are from India.Which school are you in?Cause i know some schools in India interprete Thesis as a 'building' or a 'project' like you have mentioned.Professors set scale for projects,they say no two students can work on the same kinda subject,you are not allowed to design a 'building' that is less than so and so sq.ft...and students..they compare each other's works and see who is working on 'bigger' 'project'..and whoever is working on a 'bigger''project' is considered 'great'! And i also know they ask you to give at least three topics and they choose one for you !!!!!! That's not how it works!!

It's not your fault !

we can't really help you on the 'topic' of thesis.It's your thesis! It's you baby!

All i can say is..It need not be a Building! But if you want it to be it could even be a one bedroom house!! Thesis shows what architecture means to you! .It could be documentation..It could be reuse,conservation..It  could be research oriented..It's not necessary that you have to pick an empty plot next to some random lake and put a sexy looking concret block there...It could be whatever you want it to be...but,you just have to defend it..and the scale doesn't matter...

My thesis thesis was a very sensitive subject and it didn't involve 'building' at all...However ,as i progressed i realised it needed 'spaces' where certain functions could happen...so i designed 'spaces' not buildings..It's just my case.. it depends on subject..All i'm saying is your requirements should evolve as you work..you shouldn't fixate on a building type and put functions to it..Stop picturing the final product..Concentrate on the process!

Hope this helps!:) Good luck!

Oct 24, 15 12:28 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Does anyone else get the impression that architecture school in India is fucking terrible?

Oct 24, 15 3:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^ but at least there you can call yourself an "architect" after graduation.
Oct 24, 15 8:01 am  · 
 · 
This is an interesting thread, solely because the shift to the project thesis seems to be occurring over here as well. I know in my graduating class there were a few thesis that were how each of us see architecture (as mine was), some solving an urban planning problem but involving theory, and many more with "what do I do with this abandoned building/vacant lot" type theses.
Oct 24, 15 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

It's too bad. same stupid issue in my school dude. ^just didn't feel right starting my graduation project with selecting a building typology! my instructor insisted and he was offended by me explaining them how would I like to do and go through my graduation project  .. eventually, after many troubles I had to submit a proposal, and now I have a whole semester to write down my thesis rather than spending the time with actually "doing". I feel frustrated because of this! :(

... still, happy to read all of the above really good comments. 

Oct 24, 15 3:03 pm  · 
1  · 
An.Ma

@placebeyondthesplines--That's not what i meant ! 

@sanjay92neupane  ----No offence:)

Oct 25, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: