Archinect
anchor

A good example of art about architecture: Higher Ground by Kate Gilmore

If you've been on Archinect for awhile you already know my attitude toward Architecture vs. Art  (tl;dr version: Architecture is not art).

This project, Higher Ground by Kate Gilmore, just won the Juried Grand Prize at ArtPrize Seven.  It's a beautiful, sublime art piece that's about architecture while not at all able to be confused with being architecture (insofar as an anonymous house structure is not "architecture", but that's a different argument).

Watch the video, because you really need to see the thing moving to get it. It's a sublime work, IMO, that speaks to architecture as a container of communal memory, as both creator of and product of culture, of domesticity and how architecture impacts it.

(I hope the video works, it's on Facebook.)

Oct 16, 15 1:12 pm

Also, one of the swingers was a woman seated in a wheelchair, good reminder for us in the age of Universal Design that everyone is our client.

Oct 16, 15 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Interesting piece, terrible video. All talking heads, no continuous footage of the work.

Oct 16, 15 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Not really sure if it is art about architecture exactly.  It just seems like a performance piece that uses a stripped down abstraction of a house as a backdrop.  The architecture in this case could be substituted with any stage prop box with openings - a big white box with a red light would achieve the same effect.  What is the context?  

I prefer the work of Gordon Matta Clark, Rachel Whiteread, or even Louise Nevelson, where architecture becomes the medium.  Integral and concrete. 

Oct 16, 15 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I'm originally from that area. Went back and saw this a few weeks ago. Very nice.  I do agree with Chigurh though, it's not really about architecture, though it uses architecture quite brilliantly. Of course it dose say something about architecture as well.

There were some other really great pieces there too.

Oct 16, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

I hear what you guys are saying, and I actually do agree. I don't think Kate was saying something about architecture; I don't think that was her intention with the piece, so my phrasing of it that way was wrong.

Of course it does end of up resonating with/about architecture, but for me almost all art does, because that's the lens through which I look at the whole world! My weakness, LOL.

Yeah, Miles, I love the video because I enjoy what the jurors say about it. There is a better video on the Site:Lab Vimeo site, but the music is, IMO, totally wrong. But it does show the house/venue in context, which is cool to see.

Oct 16, 15 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Lynne Harlow sometimes does minimal work w arch as a backdrop. The rest is light and color based and feels very architecty to me.
Oct 17, 15 7:47 am  · 
 · 

Andrea Zittel is another favorite of mine whose work is intentionally based in design. Miles, I hope you like this Art 21 series: it's just the artist's voice and views of their work and process.

Oct 17, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: