Archinect
anchor

M.Arch I Admissions Portfolio Crit Needed!!

isa_t_he

Hey all,

I would love to get your opinions on how to improve my application portfolio for MArch I!! 

I'm applying to Columbia, Harvard and MIT this winter (Earliest deadline Dec 15, 2015). 

• 25 years old
  • BA. Growth and structure of cities (no design whatsoever)
  • One summer studio at GSAPP

All comments welcome and appreciated!

THANK YOU! 

http://issuu.com/ihe90/docs/portfoliograd_v9_oct12-pages/1

Oct 16, 15 12:49 am
Non Sequitur

Isa, I've replied to your email.

Hope it helps.

Oct 16, 15 8:53 am  · 
 · 
alrightalright

more beautiful drawings, less bad, generic renderings. don't force it.

Oct 16, 15 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

1) The layout is atrocious. You've slapped each spread together without anything close to an organizing principle. Seriously, this is among the most basic design concepts in existence. Schools like Harvard, MIT, and Columbia will laugh at how amateurish this looks.

2) The typography is terrible as well. It's annoying to read and your stupid backslashes are embarrassing.

3) The drawings are very nice. The renderings are unbelievably awful. Get rid of them.

4) The elements on the page are way, way too close together. It's clear that the idea of white space (again, extremely simple stuff here) has eluded you completely.

Other than the drawings and some of the model photos, this looks like a complete redo. Fortunately you have a couple of months; it appears that you may need them.

You should also think about some less selective programs. I can't imagine that this content will get you into any of these schools unless there is a very weak applicant pool.

Oct 16, 15 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

Please get rid of the last page!  You do not want to end on that project!

Oct 16, 15 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
isa_t_he

Thank you for all the feedback.

There's a lot to work on, especially the layout. However, I am more concerned about the content, right now. I would like to get all the contents in there and then finalize the layout.

I was contemplating on taking out the project on the last page, which is why I moved it there.

The biggest question I have currently is what kind of projects should I add on to my portfolio if I don't have an architecture background. Let me know if you have any advice.

Oct 17, 15 4:44 am  · 
 · 
marisco

As has been mentioned - layout and representation - margins drew me in first - alignment needs work. The projects themselves are alright - maybe you have better images. From the abundance of typological explorations within it looks like a portfolio for SciArc rather than MIT, Harvard et al. (I had a few profs from SciArc who loved that crap). I think you need to tie those processes into something - make me care about your work - why did you explore it that way. Honestly I couldn't tell your first few pages were the same project on first glance. You need to use your portfolio as a storyboard - lead me through it and hook me at the culmination of the project - it just kind of falls onto the pages and is forgotten, have respect for your work and present it accordingly. Make me want to look at it. Colour (judiciously used to highlight, compare and contrast) can be good in places as well, very drab currently IMHO. If you can't do colour present something that creates interest like light and shadow - variation and depth, it will create a focus and draw one through your portfolio, there should be a natural progression from the idea of the project to the end, drawing me through your thought and presentation coherently.

Some of the cad (I think) drawings did not load for me so no comment on those

You do have talent in drawing as shown by the one or two drawings within, I'd personally like to see hand-drawn (well) process/parti diagrams to demonstrate your intent at the start of the projects - this can add a nice interest point, while also demonstrating that you can actually convey an idea without a computer. Not that computer skills aren't good, I just want to know that you can architect without being computer aided 

Oct 17, 15 10:33 am  · 
 · 
alrightalright

if you don't have an architecture background, then don't include architecture in your portfolio. i can't be more clear. your work that is non-architectural (drawings, photographs) is far more excellent than your "architecture" work. represent what you have actually done and what you are good at, not what you are hoping to learn.

Oct 17, 15 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
alrightalright

and yes, 1 to 2 images per page at most

Oct 17, 15 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

It's clear that you don't understand these criticisms at all. Focusing on the 'content' is almost completely wrongheaded. I'll spell it out even more, but this is really basic design language (in which you should already have far greater fluency if you seriously expect to be admitted to a top tier graduate program). 

Your portfolio should never be a slapped-together catalog of design projects. Your portfolio is meant to be a design project unto itself. It should be a beautiful object, full of beautiful work, that tells a beautiful story. Right now it fails at every level. 

Your response about getting to the layout later shows how woefully unprepared you are for this. 

Oct 17, 15 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
In curious to hear why people always want to go to brand name schools. Any reason more compelling than "because it's ____ , duh."
Oct 17, 15 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
*I'm
Oct 17, 15 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@rob_c

This question was asked of the OP last time she asked for advice about graduate schools, and we never got any kind of answer. Which speaks volumes.

Oct 18, 15 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: