Archinect
anchor

Makerbot Replicator or Ultimaker 2?

M+

Hey guys,

We're a small design firm & we are in the market for a 3d printer. Looking at some reviews, it came down to either the Makerbot Replicator or the Ultimaker 2. The former seems to be very user friendly, the latter prints twice as high while both cost the same.

Which 3d printers do you guys use/ recommend?

Oct 16, 15 12:17 am
archiwutm8

Ultimaker 2 has good user reviews however it's easy to get makerbot parts and help cause more people have them. Although I dislike makerbot with a passion.

Oct 16, 15 3:03 am  · 
 · 

bump!

@M+, what printer did you guys go with?

What printers are people using in offices? The Ultimaker 2+ looks very nice, but I have not yet seen one in action. 

Jan 29, 16 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

MakerBot is inexpensive to buy and to run.  We've had better luck with it than with our 60k stratasys machine, which likes to eat its aluminum bearings.  

The only thing I dislike is that you cannot print cantilever elements beyond a certain slope.  But for ease of use its pretty great

Jan 29, 16 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
jctiusanen

From my personal experience, if you have to choose between the two, always go for an Ultimaker.

Makerbot used to be good 5 years ago, not anymore. All they have is a big brand, and bad quality equipment. You can have a look here at a blog post we wrote about the experience of an architecture firm in Finland with Makerbot.

If you want to buy a good printer for architectural purposes, buy an Ultimaker or even a Zortrax M200 :)

Feb 10, 17 4:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: