Archinect
anchor

Arch. firm position for someone with no architecture degree

choijw2

HI. 

Architecture always has been my passion and dream. 
I am a true believer that well designed building and environment can being great positive to people around it. 

I got my degree in urban planning and planned to get masters in architecture or even.. go back to undergraduate or community college to study CAD and drawing techniques and teach myself design theories and histories. 

but after my graduation, i got a job offer as construction estimator from small commercial exterior firm.

I been doing this 2 years now and been looking at many many different drafts from all over the places.

last 2 years has been great experience and learned a lot, from building designs to running construction firm.  but my heart still goes to designing buildings, interior design, landscaping.... want to be part of decision making for building design. 

So here I am.... I want to know if there is any position i can try at a architect firm. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Oct 15, 15 4:09 pm
Non Sequitur

It's not like there is a whole swath of qualified architecture graduates looking for employment to compete with...

2 years in a tangential field  is nowhere near enough to compete for positions and double that if you want to lead in the design of projects. Best to take your experience and finish a accredited M.arch and start IDP. Without this you'll be on the outside looking in.

Oct 15, 15 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
If you really want to design go get a professional degree. In your case, an M.Arch would be appropriate.

If I were going to hire you I'd ask myself, if this person is so passionate, why haven't they gone through the challenge of becoming one? I can't invest time and mentor someone who can never be more than an unlicensed building designer.

It's not that you don't have something to offer, but what you've accomplished thus far has not prepared you to design.

There is too much competition and too many people who have paid their dues to get to the front of the line.
Oct 15, 15 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It'd be nice if there was a shortcut,.  But if you want to be an architect, go to architecture school, and then get an architecture license.

Otherwise, the position titles you'll be looking at are administrative.  Or you could try for project management at a construction firm.

Oct 15, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: