Archinect
anchor

Laser Cut Burn Marks on Acrylic

kching

Hi, 

I have tried to laser cut 1/16" acrylic and the edges have some burn marks. I left the paper on when laser cutting. Some areas cut cleanly and at some places the laser cutter didn't cut all the way through. If I increase the power, I just end up with more burn marks. Is there anyone that can help me or have any suggestions on how to clean  the burn marks left on the acrylic?

Thanks! :)

Oct 13, 15 11:11 pm
archanonymous

a wipe with acetone on a clean terrycloth rag should do it. If it is really bad you may need to sand lightly. If so, you need to you can take a propane or tri-fuel torch and use it to flame-polish the edges.

Oct 14, 15 10:06 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Raise the power, cut with chipboard on top. Expensive, but it works sometimes.

Oct 14, 15 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Stone Design

I've found the best way to eliminate burning on any kind of acrylic/plastic/delrin is to make a jig with an 1/8" piece of scrap acrylic, laser small dots where you won't be lasering through your finished piece, and then glue long 6"+ nails (head down) in those spots (5 minute epoxy works well to support the nail). This prevents any flame from coming up underneath the finished material. For any burning that's left over on the top and side of the material, use a variable speed buffing wheel with a soft density wheel with plastic buffing compound (dry works best). 

Good luck!

-Andrew 

Aug 15, 17 5:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You forgot to put the link to your firm in this post, oops! www.stonedesign.la (you're welcome)

Aug 15, 17 6:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: