Archinect
anchor

one-sided digital interview

chigurh

anybody partake in one of these?

Pre-recorded video interview questions - respond to your webcam - no human interaction - HR watches your responses later...

recruiter no less...

Oct 13, 15 6:24 pm
tduds

I've never heard of that.  I would be wary of participating in such a charade, and even more wary of any firm that would ask me to.

Oct 13, 15 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

weird. make sure to wear a halloween mask to remind them how creepy and dehumanizing it is.

Oct 13, 15 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

super creepy...welcome to the future...getting hired and fired by a computer...

Oct 13, 15 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

That's totally insane. An interview goes both ways: they are seeing if you have the qualifications and experience and interest in their company and you are trying to determine if it is the kind of position and firm you would be interested in working for. In this case HR has just shoved their head a bit farther up their a--.Any corporate management that would put up with this BS is not fit to work for. I would not even dignify this nonsense with an answer.

Oct 13, 15 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I honestly can’t figure out how any of you get hired these days…they run you through so many sieves that the only thing that comes out the other end are faceless Eunuch's.

Oct 13, 15 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Did they ask you to wear a cowboy costume or cop outfit?  'Cause that I've done-- or, heard of.  I  meant heard of.

Oct 13, 15 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
empea
It probably reflects quite well the environment you'd be entering into. Go figure.
Oct 13, 15 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I think my lady did one of these. Learned that it says something about the company, and left 6 months later. Interviews are two-way, don't forget that.

Oct 14, 15 12:50 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

These are actually pretty common in financial institutes, never heard of them being used in the AEC field...

Oct 14, 15 3:02 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

I'm now looking forward to doing this.  And I won't dress like a cowboy.

Probably an anonymous mask.  Maybe a mouse mask like the stuff art spiegelman did.

Maybe a chicken suit would be the best way to go

Oct 14, 15 7:45 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

sounds like no pants time to me

Oct 14, 15 9:29 am  · 
 · 
citizen

A colleague told me she had to do her final dissertation defense via the web, for logistics reasons.  Rather than sit at her laptop or desktop, she did it on her phone, where she said that having her august committee members literally in the palm of her hand helped her to relax for the discussion.

Thanks, Internet!

Oct 14, 15 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Well that's strange.  But then I've had interview processes where the first step was responding to a list of essay questions, and for some teaching or speaking gigs I've had to send a tape of my past presenter experience, so I guess this isn't that much of a leap.

Do you get to review the pre-recorded questions ahead of time?  If so I don't hate this idea, from the candidate's standpoint, because you could prepare answers and rehearse them first.  That would take some of the on-the-spot pitfalls out the situation so in some ways you'd have an advantage over a real-time two-sided skype, phone, or in-person interview. The big disadvantage is in not being able to judge how you're doing in the eyes of the interviewer, so you can't tailor your answers to their reactions, or adjust the direction of the interview as it proceeds.

One would hope that this leads to an eventual in-person interview and that no employer would actually hire anyone based on this scenario alone.  It wouldn't provide any insight into how the candidate interacts in person, or thinks on his feet, or the dynamic between him and the firm's current team members.

Oct 14, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

certainly a challenge when the medium changes. it's typical in other professions but anything close I've seen in architecture are video resumes. schools are also introducing new mediums particularly video to experiment with architectural communication.

Mar 13, 17 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: