Archinect
anchor

Good News/Bad News

shellarchitect

Good News:  Wife is about 10 weeks pregnant now, can tell everyone.

Bad News:  Laid off today, F F F F 

State needs to get their butts in gear and process my license

Oct 13, 15 5:25 pm
chigurh

congrats man...stay home with your kid for awhile.

Oct 13, 15 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

cheers for architect dads!

and cheers for the next gig always being better

Oct 13, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Congrats and mazels!  The layoff always stings like hell... that'll pass, you'll get your license, find a better gig, and have a new nubbin to play with!  

Oct 13, 15 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

layoff sucks, but i was starting to really hate it so I guess what i'm really pissed about is not leaving on my terms.

Oct 14, 15 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Oh effing hell, shuellmi, I'm sorry. What terrible timing!

In my town firms are still looking to hire, so I hope you can find something quickly!

Congratulations on the future baby!!! It's the best experience ever, truly. In the meantime, though, your wife may act a bit nutty during the pregnancy; trust, she will be herself again eventually...although the reality is once the kid comes along both of you will likely experience a dramatic shift in world view to the point that neither of you is ever really "the same" as you used to be. But you do it together, as partners, and it's a beautiful experience.

Oct 14, 15 9:30 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

layoff = unemployment checks = perfect time to start your own practice.

Make sure you apply and get every last dime you can, after all our malevolent corporate overlords get welfare on an unimaginable scale. 80% of your salary for a few months is nothing...

Oct 14, 15 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Shuelimi,

Sorry to hear of your job loss but congrats on the baby. Don't know where you live now, but the DC/Northern Virginia area has a strong demand for architects, landscape architects, interior designers, construction managers - the whole nine yards.

Oct 14, 15 10:13 am  · 
 · 

Congrats on landing the biggest, hardest, most important and most rewarding job you will ever have!

Oct 14, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Thanks everyone!  I should add that I do have a 4 year old, not to say that I'm really prepared to handle two kids.

It looks like there are some interesting job postings in the Detroit area.  Had a long talk with the license board today, looks like 3-4 weeks,  Unless another great recession hits I think we'll be alright.

Oct 14, 15 11:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: