Archinect
anchor

"informal play area" liability question

x-jla

I am working on a residential landscape design...the clients have 3 young children and want informal "play" fearures integrated into the overall landscape.  They do not want "play equiptment," but rather earth works, stepping stones, a forest of trees, possible hide outs created with shrubs and natural materials....For residential play areas there are no codes that require shock absorbing surfaces around play equiptment, however I made it clear that I would not specify any "play equiptment" without creating a fall zone because it is not safe imo.  The client does not want "play equiptment" and just wants more informal features that are aesthetically indistinguishable from the rest of the landscape but that his kids can/may use for play...My question is whether such an informal feature would require the same treatment as a formal play area?  Does intent overide the fact that the features are not technically play equiptment? Since there are no codes that apply to residential, I wanted to know  how such blurry lines are handled in public places...a group of boulders within a certain proximity to a playground could be seen as an extension of a playground for instance...

Oct 12, 15 2:38 pm
x-jla

Also, the maximum height of any of these features will be 24"...nothing really climbable other than trees... 

Oct 12, 15 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

kids can kill themselves on anything.

if your clients are type A litigious assholes, do not design the features they are asking for.  If they are chill, just give them what they want.... over thinking it.

Oct 12, 15 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Step 1: have a conversation with your E&O Insurance carrier

Step 2: have a conversation with your lawyer

Step 3: follow their advice

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that they will advise you to obtain a "waiver of liability and indemnification" letter from your client before proceeding as you have been requested.

Oct 12, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

equipment.

Oct 12, 15 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

earth works, stepping stones, a forest of trees, possible hide outs created with shrubs and natural materials.

Where is the danger in the list you provided?

Do shock absorbing materials and fall zones protect designers from liability?

Oct 12, 15 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

+1 quizzical

-> If you're nervous, get a 'waiver of liability and hold harmless agreement.'

Oct 12, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

All of the features you describe simply could be a normal part of any landscape design. Do not at any point call out these features as play equipment, play areas, or otherwise program them as meant for a specific use. They are aesthetic or natural landscape features. That happen to be awesome to play on as a kid. Just design it as if it's a cool feature but not specifically for playing on and around. 

Oct 12, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ I agree w/ Peter... whom I loved in Mission Impossible and Airplane.

Oct 12, 15 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I thought landscaping designers dont have any liability--whats the worse that could happen? a shrub dies?...kidding..

Just follow code--no 'walls' over 30" height without a rail, no slopes over 3:1, no more than 4 steps without a rail or landing, etc, etc. We practice in an area with very stringent codes that even dictate grading, limits of disturbance, features above or below grade. Dont labels the features you design as play features on your final cd's. You are designing a landscape, nota playground.

You are asking all the right questions, dont sweat it so much. Design something cool and help promote the profession!

Oct 12, 15 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

@ citizen thanks, you ever been in a cockpit before?

@jla-x all that said, it's best to get the opinion of legal counsel if you have one. Not worth getting your pants sued off, ever. 

Oct 12, 15 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

@ Peter:  No, but I do like gladiator movies...

Oct 12, 15 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

@ Peter:  You really did your best work on "Fury" on Saturday mornings.

Oct 12, 15 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^   And your brother James Arness was the best on Gunsmoke.

Oct 12, 15 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Tend to agree with chigurh. I wouldn’t label it “playground” or anything else for that matter and refrain from discussing it on emails etc…and 2 years from now when Little Johnny breaks his arm he’ll have done it in what you labeled as “backyard”.

Oct 12, 15 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

thanks all...good comments!

Oct 12, 15 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: