Archinect
anchor

How I should know when not to exceed my boundaries as an architect to the field of engineering?

Zaina

I am an architecture student, and I can say I am a good designer, but my major intrest lies in building technology and engineering… I would never say that I made a mistake getting into an architecture school... Architecture have literally changed me...! It changed my perspective to life and gave me a room to express myself, my thoughts, and ideas when I could discover the creative part of me… but this is not the issue… the problem is that I cannot see my boundaries as an architect! My professors sometimes ask me to stop and step back “…because that’s an engineer job…” or so they say… but What if a design had a complex kind of structures that needs the architect to design or otherwise the engineer will come and mess up the concept?

The reason why I am posting this is that I am currently developing a compactable deployable shelter for catastrophes as a 1 year graduation project in parallel with a research… this kind of projects is technology preponderant and requires me studying -in the first place- structural mechanism… (or so I started…)… I am really terrified that I am going into engineering or risking with a strong failure this year; ending up with minimal work or a repetition of already applied technologies :'(  … Am I in the right path? I am wondering if  some of you could advise me how to start?

some might think this post is silly, but to note my school is kind of a new school ( the truth is we're the first batch of architecture graduating from my campus & I have little vista of what students are doing in other universities, but looking at portfolios from top schools all over the world we're doing good - and putting lots of money on this sh!.. school-)... sorry for writing a long story :p

Oct 10, 15 1:15 pm
citizen

Sounds like an interesting project.  If you hope to pursue production, to talk to an engineer and a lawyer.  Each will lend very useful, practical advice.  State the humanitarian benefits up front, and you may be able to get pro bono advice from one or both.

Oct 10, 15 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: