Archinect
anchor

WHAT IS YOUR ARCHITECTURE PROGRAM LIKE?

Aubrey JhW

Hello !

Thanks to many opinions I finally decided to study architecture but the problems of choosing a school comes.

Though there are a list of accredited program and numbers of rankings that I can refer to,  I think it important to know about what exactly the school program focused on. And I know I can search them on the school page, but the information there is somewhat..well.. vague for me.

So would you mind just writing down something,  no matter several words or a passage, about ​the focus of the architecture program which you studied/studying in or know about? (like the emphasis on urban impact / the emphasis on creative structures / the emphasis on professional skills) 

Or in other words, what is the strength of this program in your opinion?

Every reply would be appreciated !

By the way, pls tell me the school name and undergrad/grad.

Thank you all !

Sincerely, 

Aubrey

Oct 9, 15 3:03 pm
Non Sequitur

eu... country would help narrow down your choices a little. Your question is beyond vague.

Oct 9, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Aubrey JhW

Non Sequitur  Sorry for confusing you.  I forgot to mention that  I am studying in US; I am just wondering if someone can share what is your architecture program like(preferred in US ) so I can find out the program that I may like to go.

Oct 9, 15 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

I wouldn't call choosing school  "a problem"... eventually the school will choose you and not  vise versa....

my program like many others is design-focused, all courses revolve around the "Architectural Studio" where you design... 

Oct 9, 15 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
I think it would help if you specify which programs you are interested in, and what you are specifically wanting to learn about be it course load, time management, extra curricular stuff, studio culture, etc...

There are plenty of alumni on these boards that would give you great info if you provide a little more information. Unfortunately we architects aren't mind readers, no matter how much our clients would like us to be.
Oct 9, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Aubrey JhW

@zania, Thank you. I know that school will make the decision but I can at least apply to those program that I may more fit in.

@ Josh Mings. Thank you for your advice. To be specific, I am more interested in problem solving and architecture in urban context.  I am in California; I 've visited the websites of two Cal Polys and UC Berkeley/LA (since private schools are not so affordable). When I looked at the student gallery in Cal Poly slo, for example, I saw many creative works; but I might never be that creative. That's why I am trying to find is there any program which seems, comparatively, more practical. (like coming up with architecture plans to solve housing problem) 

Oct 10, 15 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

"...I saw many creative works; but I might never be that creative."

Are you sure that architecture is right for you?  Maybe something like urban design/planning?

Oct 10, 15 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Berkley is great - DONE.

......On to more important things like war, climate change, Harvard V Yale, Mac V PC.

Now go buy a ticket to Berkley, visit the place not the website and see for yourself.  Report back to us in 2 weeks your findings.

Oct 11, 15 8:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: