Archinect
anchor

HELP! I want to go to grad school for architecture but I am graduating with a business degree!

hallie.swenson

I have recently decided I don't want to be a business major (even though im almost done with my degree) and I want to become an architect instead! I am having a hard time finding what kind of school to search for or what to look for. I really want to go to school in Europe somewhere or on the east coast, smaller schools are preferable, and the biggest thing, I need a program where no undergrad is required. If anyone has any info fro me that would be wonderful! Any other tips for taking the first step would be greatly appreciated too! 

Oct 8, 15 1:37 pm
midlander

finish your undergrad degree. it will make your future so much easier no matter what you decide to do next.

where you go to school should be based on where you want to work and live. an undergrad in business would allow you to apply for an m.arch degree which would be better than starting over as an undergraduate.

you haven't described at all what your reasoning in choosing architecture at this late stage is. strongly advise you to contact some local architects and ask if you can come in to meet and learn a bit about their work and how they arrived at their career. it might give you some sense what you are or are not interested in.

Oct 8, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with midlander. The undergrad degree is your permission slip to enter grad school; no point in not finishing it. And if you ultimately decide to become an architect, the business degree will serve you well when you're eventually running a practice. Too many architects are completely clueless about running a business, so your undergrad background will be a competitive advantage.

Oct 8, 15 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
hallie.swenson

Thank you midlander and David! I do plan on finishing my degree and it is good to hear I could use this as an advatage later on. I have always wanted to go into architcture but didn't pursue it due to athletics and the school I chose didn't have it as an option. I have done research and have always loved architecture. Is there any websites or schools you can think of in particular that would help me further?

Oct 8, 15 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

http://www.naab.org/architecture_programs/home
^ it's a good start if you are American, since these are the accredited schools in the US. Different schools have very different approaches, with focuses ranging from pragmatic/technical to experimental/artistic. The list is not very long, so you could look through and narrow down a list of schools you might be interested in, then do more research on the academic differences.

I'll warn you against picking-by-number for grad school, but here is the most prominent ranking of US architecture schools. Again, there is probably no practical difference between going to #1 or #10 if you like the school and do well. Finding somewhere that fits your budget and offers a program you are interested in matters more than ranking - and studying where you plan to work is always easier.
http://www.di.net/articles/americas-best-architecture-schools-2015/

I don't believe there is a significant difference in starting salaries for grads of different schools, which is hard for some young students to recognize. Your starting salary will be more dependent on the city where you work, what particular skills you offer, and the state of the job market when you graduate.

If you plan to study abroad, I don't have any resource for you. If you are serious about living and studying abroad, I would focus on a country / region that interests you and go from there. Be aware that there will be more work to validate your credentials if you do later return to the US to get licensed. Some countries (UK) are making it tougher for for foreign students to get work visas, so keep that in mind too.

Oct 8, 15 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

How much do you already owe?

Oct 9, 15 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The OP could just go to the web sites of the different schools and see what their requirements are. Why is he having a hard time finding this information? Why hasn't he answered the above question? The OP's original question has been hashed out innumerable times on this site alone.

Oct 9, 15 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: