Archinect
anchor

What are some methods to get better at architecture/drafting besides attending b.arch, m.arch, etc?

gordon31991

I asked a question earlier about earning an Associate's degree in Architecture/drafting and most of you said its useless since I already have a B.S. degree in a field unrelated to architecture.(And also the thread got a little off topic LOL) But I appreciate all the feedback I got from it and I plan on starting my IDP within the month.

Before I apply for M.arch, I would need to create a portfolio. During my IDP program, I will slowly develop a portfolio. But for now, I would like to learn as much as possible.  I was wondering what are some methods that I can use to get better at architecture and drafting on my own while working under my uncle's firm. ( Books, extended education classes, etc) any recommendations? I was also thinking about taking a few courses at cc as well.

Thanks for your help!

Oct 2, 15 10:01 pm

Early in my undergrad career I took an Architectural Graphics course at a local community college, and it was one of the most useful classes I've ever taken. Even though it was mostly focused on hand drafting at the time, it still gave me a graphic sensibility that served me well as I eventually learned AutoCAD and Revit. You may want to check to see if a community college in your area offers a similar course. An architectural history class would also be a good idea.

Here's a good guide for putting together a portfolio.

Oct 2, 15 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Why not attend a lecture series at the University. It might expose you to some new ideas - architecture that may better inform and shape your architectural thought.

Oct 3, 15 8:26 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

The best way to get better at any kind of drawing is to do it. A LOT.

If you want to improve your drafting quality, find some examples of drawings you think are high quality, and then try to reproduce them exactly. This method is very effective at improving the quality of your work.

We used to have a contest at one of my past firms where we would take an example drawing (for instance, a hand-drawn detail or design section) and staff would try to reproduce it for something else or using a different set of tools. This was a great way to up everyone's game.

Oct 5, 15 11:15 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Like gwharton said, best way to get better at anything is "time under tension", if you not getting rep's in you not getting experience & unfortunately in our industry, experience is the fundamental thing. doesnt matter how much software you know or how good of a drafter you are if you dont knw how to build a building on paper with critical thinking.

Oct 20, 15 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Can you do IDP without a degree? I know when I went to get my NY license they rejected some of my IDP time because it was during the summer before I had my degree. Just be sure to check w NCARB AND your state.
Oct 22, 15 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: