Archinect
anchor

Discussion- What area architecture-related jobs that could give you higher income? and where

doarch

I don't know where to start

I had finished my architecture undergraduate degree 3 years ago and actively working in a local architecture firm (as a consultant) and do a lot of architecture competition (probably not that much, I only win it twice).

The best feeling when you do architecture, for me, is when you feel that your imagination could flown through every images that you created. Doing rendering, collage, sketching and so on.

But do they really worth it? I mean,well, I still paid 500$/month.

You guys can relate to this right? When you meet your old high school friends which choose different field, some goes as an IT engineer in international cigarette company, some goes as marketing in international brand, some goes on oil and refinery, and some goes as an international audit and found out that their salary is worth 10-20 times your salary. They could have all your 3 years saving in only 2-3 months.. This is my lack of self esteem started to grow

I do understand the implication of working as an architect since I was in my undergraduate degree. The lecturer told me that architecture cannot brings you money, it brings you sense of fulfillment of your passion ( therefore, it won't work if you don't have passion in it)

One time, my university senior which open an architectural firm in Vegas (As the one who live in Asian country, I thought having a firm in Vegas is very prestigious) said to all of the junior that we still could not gain money much from it. (and again, forget about all the world's leading architect things, like Hadid and her friends)

Therefore, is there any people right here that could give me insight or stories about their experiences in building their career from zero? What kind of architectural  job that you have?

Sep 30, 15 6:31 pm

Hi doarch,

I can see why you might feel a little overwhelmed, you certainly have a lot going on. I would recommend starting with some reading material to help with your career choices. If you haven't read it, 48 Days To The Work You Love, would be quite useful.

In this book Dan outlines how looking inward at your skills and abilities can give you career direction and fulfillment.

Don't compare yourself to others, it is a pointless exercise. Only you can change your situation. Chasing a career for the salary will always lead to disappointment. Architecture may not be the area you are most talented? That is for you to decide. Regardless of your career track you need to find something you are passionate AND have a natural ability for, the money will come.

This article might also be helpful for you.

5 Factors Affecting Your Architecture Salary

Good luck!

Brandon

www.thearchitectsguide.com

Sep 30, 15 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Act now and Brandon will send you a salad shooter at no extra charge! (Shipping and handling apply. Batteries not included)

Oct 1, 15 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

$500 per month salary?

Awesome-sauce!

Oct 1, 15 8:30 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Look around at people in their mid 40s to 50s and see how happy they are at what they do.  There's always a "tough" period in early careers (banking/law asks 85hrs/wk doing crappy work - filing, sorting, databasing-, start-ups don't know if they'll have jobs tha next day, doctors get paid very little as residents in high stress positions, etc).  Mid career is where you spend a good chunk of time.  I personally like the idea of being able to practice and enjoy design late into my life instead of burning out, retiring and finding a second career as most of the high-earner friends I have. 

If you're good at what you do, architects can make a comfortable living (with all the trade price deals, our lifestyle is a little cheaper to obtain as well).

Oct 1, 15 11:15 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

to 3tk points. many people will simply follow a career path to make enough money to retire one day to do what they think they really like, some hobby. but what is the point in that? 20-30 years of doing shit you don't like so you can what you like......why not just do what you like and after a long enough period, not 3 years, you will make money.........i live financial advisors who try to advise me on how to save up enough to retire and I always respond - o don't plan on retiring, i like what i do. (btw I actually make a lot of money)

Oct 1, 15 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

This is always an issue of pursuing your passion (but get paid less) vs. working a work that can offer you life's stability (but you're not enthusiastic and happy with it). I'd suggest if you still haven't found the right work for you, you can experiment during your first two years and work in an architectural firm. Figure out what area do you excel and what do you love. Until then, you can pursue it and make it your profession. It's really important that we love our work so that we won't feel pressured and depressed. Money will come soon afterwards.

Oct 1, 15 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: