Archinect
anchor

Start a new career in Dubai

xixusim

I'm currently considering to move over and get a job in Dubai. I've been working in the field for 2 years by now. Can anyone provide tips on expected salary to pick up a junior position? Also, cost of living and living culture in Dubai. Thanks!

Sep 30, 15 1:11 am
sameolddoctor

Dont get me wrong on this, but whats your race? They routinely tend to pay more to white people, even though one might be at the same position as someone from Asia. Just saying.

Sep 30, 15 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

I spent three weeks in the UAE and i've worked on some projects over there. If I had to live anywhere in the Arabian Peninsula as an architect, i'd probably choose the UAE. The pay seemed to be generally decent for experienced expats, but I can't say if this is true for junior level positions. Either way, I would say it's a place to work temporarily... it's such a boom/bust economy. 

Definitely echo what sameolddoctor said, although they don't really treat folks from Asia poorly unless you're from India/Bangladesh/etc. 

Sep 30, 15 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

ivory, I do know of some peeps from China and Korea that work there that get paid lesser than White Americans/Europeans in similar positions.

Sorry to put it this way, but it is what it is...

Sep 30, 15 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Maybe - honestly I didnt work with many East Asians in the UAE (i'm not counting Asian-Americans). But I really can't see a  global/western firm engaging in such discriminatory practices... and they tend to be doing a majority of the "interesting" work. 

Sep 30, 15 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Doesn't sound like a fun place to live..

Sep 30, 15 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Hmm, I AM talking of some of these major American firms.

Sep 30, 15 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
xixusim

sameolddoctor: definitely understand the reason behind your question. I'm a Malaysian Chinese. Any tips on how much to expect?:)

ivorykeyboard: I would try my best to get myself a position in one of the global/western firm. Are you still in Dubai currently? Any idea how to move around in Dubai? Do i need a car or public transport is convenient enough?

Sep 30, 15 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

I am not in Dubai. I am based in a city in the US but was working on a project there, and visited for several weeks. Our offices in the UAE aren't all that big... in general, the employees we had there were just compensated less - except for the principals. I didn't see any sign of racial discrimination to be honest, but again this is my experience in a global corporate firm.

sameolddoctor, curious to hear which. that's quite an allegation. I did witness a Emirati break out a horse whip at a hookah stop and start hitting a Bengali employee with it because he wasn't delivering his meal quick enough - oh and everyone else around (also Emirati) thought it was hilarious. that left a sour taste in a mouth to say the least....

Sep 30, 15 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
A.I.

Send me a private message and I'll give you all the details you need; been in Dubai for 3 years now and most of the people on this forum have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to this part of the world.

Oct 1, 15 1:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Some fools still try to defend this part of the world under the guise that "it's trying to do better" but it's still backwards as fuck relative to the rest of the developed world.

But, with all that aside, you should be fine as long as you have a penis and don't mind slavery (among many other human right abuses).

Oct 1, 15 8:29 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

ivory, I will obviously not give out any names, but a good friend of mine that is South-East Asian, who finished her masters from a very reputed college in the US went to Dubai, and her German colleague with lesser experience and education is making 1.25 times what she does. The sadder thing is that the German employee in question works UNDER her.

No Sequitur is right, the working conditions in Dubai, even for white collar jobs is much much worse than those in the western world, and in some cases worse than the developing world as well. Unless you have a really good job as top management.

ivory, did the cops come out and get the Emirati? I am sure not. This story should give you an good idea.

Oct 1, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

xixusim- they already answered..! I live in the country, but  not yet in the industry... still I can tell you that its true what they mentioned about racial discrimination, they usually employ Asian because they can pay them less than the others!  the salaries pyramid goes like (locals as a minority, westerners, Arabs, Asians as a majority)... it's an ugly fact 

Oct 1, 15 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

same, cops come get the emirati? the fact he was driving an escalade answers that question!

I spent some time walking around the sonapur / muhaisnah labor camp. It was a depressing sight. I am not sure what AI is going to respond to the OP but I can see how it is easy to view the UAE through rose tinted glasses if you are a western expat and live in the glitzier well to do neighborhoods... but the fact is the whole country is built upon the backs of slave labor - you have to ask yourself as an architect if you want to be part of that system.  

Oct 1, 15 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
xixusim

What i would say is sadly racial discrimination somewhat occur around the world even in my own country if you guys did follow the news. I do believe it's mostly the mindset of individual. People with strong will can still survive through the system. What i'm worrying is the fact that i'm a female and whether or not this will make the whole situation worse? Gender discrimination seems to be somewhat another issue other than racial discrimination? Really appreciate every one of your comments guys! ;)

Oct 1, 15 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ you're fucked.

gender discrimination is sport in this part of the world. You owe it to yourself to do better.

Oct 1, 15 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Female Malaysian Chinese in Dubai. Hmmm - you will get paid slightly better than your Indian/Pakistani colleagues, but lesser than fair-skinned white colleagues.

That said, there is definitely a lot going on there and lot to learn....

Oct 2, 15 3:15 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

The truth is, the gender discrimination in this part of the world is social-based, meaning that unless you’re an Arab female, you don’t have to worry about this issue.. in fact, as a female professional you’ll find more sympathy, welcoming, and cooperation than a male expatriate, especially if you’re pretty, talented and confident woman!... please don’t think that I’m trying to mitigate the situation! I have my own struggle as a girl in this kind of societies…! 

Oct 2, 15 7:33 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I worked for a U.S. firm out of Chicago on projects in Dubai and when I got relocated they placed me in a super awesome apartment that was paid by the firm. Everything was going great and although I did notice discrimination I was just trying to make money and leave. What put me over the top is when I ran into the maid that was cleaning my apartment and what I learned how they treat her and how much she made. Long story short I literally left next week and never looked back at that shit hole where the ocean is filthy discussing, where my balls were always sweaty, no street names and cocky attitude by the locals.

Oct 2, 15 9:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: