Archinect
anchor

Architectural Visualization Degree?

I'm planning on applying to graduate school for the upcoming academic school year (Fall 2016). I was just wondering if there were any programs out there that specialized only in Architectural Visualization? Whether it be a graduate program or even certificate program. I'm not having much luck finding anything in the United States, other than at Boston Architectural College

I know there's a bunch of courses offered on multiple web sites that you can take online but I'd honestly rather be in a classroom learning the material in person. 

Thanks in advance! 

Erick 

Sep 29, 15 12:59 am
Spoons

I've never heard of a whole degree program centered around this in the US and some architecture schools only have 1 or 2 classes AT MOST devoted to photo-real type visualization.I know of at least one program in Spain and there a few other short workshops I think offered in Italy that cover it.

It seems to me that most people who work in arch viz either come from architecture and have taught themselves or come from a more general animation / 3D degree background.  If this something you want to pursue you should really look into online courses or websites that have tutorials for specific software.  I wouldn't limit myself to just tutorials that are arch oriented. If you want to learn Max, watch the general lynda ones and basically any other ones you can find.  Even if schools don't offer classes that teach this material a lot have subscriptions to some of these tutorial services.

Sep 29, 15 2:45 am  · 
 · 
ArchiTwn

The University of Kent has an Arch Viz programme which is excellent in the UK

http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/245/architectural-visualisation

They do a combination of still imagery and video compositing

I think all their showreels are on youtube if you want to see the work they do

Sep 29, 15 11:07 am  · 
 · 
tomahawks_619

I don't think in U.S there is any school specifically teaches this however there are certain schools which are highly digital where you kinda have to learn how to create architectural visualization. 

Best example for this would be any parametric school : Sci Arc being the cream of the crop, Pratt Michigan UPenn etc.

Lastly if you are planning on going on visualization learn 3d Max and Vray with some Maxwell. Also you have to know how to model in Rhino, or Revit (since most clients will be submitting their model in one of the other format) 

Good luck, its a very demanding job but if you enjoy renderings its really fun

*Currently working as an architectural visualizer for a firm in NYC and a student

Sep 29, 15 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know of any grad degrees in architectural visualization and that kind of makes sense to me. It doesn't seem like a topic that would require 2+ semesters with 8+ courses to master.  

The best program I've seen on this is called the State of Art Academy, and it's only a week long. It's much less expensive than a full grad degree and the student work seems great.

http://www.stateofartacademy.com/

It's not in the US though, but with all the time and money you'd save it might be worth it. 

Oct 1, 15 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

1. Intern at a firm that does a lot of competitions but can't afford to hire a 3D rendering firm (midsize European 10-50 people should do the trick)

2. Learn Rhino and Vray off the internet (flyingarchitecture.com)

3. Practice photoshop from online tutorials.

Presto. Doing 10-12 visuals per month for competitions should hone your rendering skills to a fine art within a year. Costs less than going to school and looks better on the resume too. You might even have some fun travelling around while you're at it.

Oct 2, 15 10:33 am  · 
 · 
marinafragoso

Hi, guys! :)

I'm an Interior Design student here in Brazil and I want to be an architectural visualizer as well.

Currently I'm studying Vray for SketchUp (SU is a big deal here) and Corona for 3dsMax. Are there any other softwares I should learn (besides Photoshop) in order to have an international career in the US or Europe? :) 
Thank you very much!

Jul 26, 17 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

Vray is a good step, but I would also be familiar with Vray for 3ds Max. Most arch firms or independent rendering companies still, as far as I know, use Vray and 3ds. You should probably also study other commonly used plugins like Forest Pro and Rail Clone. Studying and taking architectural photography would be helpful too.

Jul 27, 17 8:43 am  · 
 · 

viz.arch.tamu.edu/graduate/mfa-viz-curriculum/

viz.arch.tamu.edu/graduate/ms-viz-curriculum/

They also have undergraduate in it 

Jul 28, 17 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Nats

My advice is do an architecture/building/interior design course as a backup career and meanwhile learn archvis yourself using something like 'Lynda' online videos (its how I learned) - learn 3dsMax and VRay and do several sample buildings for a portfolio, then look for an archvis job or try freelance commissions.

Aug 1, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Siddhant Pai

Hi guys ,

I will be completing my bachelor's degree in architecture by the end of summer of 2019(INDIA)....I have always been fascinated and in love with rendering of architecture project ....so I have been doing few projects on rendering for few people over the course of my bachelor's degree in architecture...I wanted to know if there are any University apart from Kent University (UK) which Deals with visualization in architecture and if there is scope in such field

P.s - sorry for such informal language

Oct 17, 18 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
tehreemshaikh

did you get any information if yes please share it with me as well

Dec 7, 23 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
felipicostadasilva

I don't particularly know either. I only heard about online courses and workshops on the subject. I work in the archviz field. I mainly use 3dsmax, corona and Photoshop. But a lot of the things I learned were on my own studying on the internet. What also helps me a lot is being in groups of people who work with this. I still have a lot to learn, but for what I do, which is freelance rendering for architects and engineers, it's enough. Now I'm trying to get more partnerships. But it's a very good area, especially for those who like it.

Dec 7, 23 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
felipicostadasilva

And learning 3dsmax allows you to import files into Revit and SketchUp without any problems, as long as you know how to do it. I receive a lot of files like this to render and I do it without having to model in revit. I like everything that was done. Of course, the model needs to be acceptable. But in any case you give it a refinement.

Dec 7, 23 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: