Archinect
anchor

Should I earn an Associate's Degree in Architecture or drafting technologies?

gordon31991

Hello guys, I recently finished my undergrad at a University in California with a BS degree unrelated to Architecture but later decided on a career change to Architecture/Draftsmen. As well, I will begin working as a helper/draftsmen with my uncle who is a licensed Architect focusing on residential and commercial buildings. I have only taken some classes on Autocad but have minimal experience or knowledge in the field. In the time being, I was wondering if an associate's degree in architecture or drafting technologies would be useful if I wanted to become an architect in the future (or any other suggestions)?

I was also considering going back to school to get a B.Arch or M.Arch  but is that necessary when I have the option on hands on experience with an actual architect that will teach me the field? I understand that you can become an architect in California without completing a degree but instead, working in the field for 8 years under a licensed Architect. 

Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks for your time !

Sep 28, 15 11:08 pm
placebeyondthesplines

Whatever you do, don't take the advice of a man named Balkins. It's coming.

Sep 28, 15 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Take time to think about where you want to practice. If I were you with your Bachelor's degree, don't waste time at community college unless you are using it to improve skills and pursuing experience path to licensure. Which would require 7 years because 1 year credit is available for your degree.

Look here: 

http://www.cab.ca.gov/apa/ccr/title_16/division_2/article_3/section_117.shtml

Getting an associates degree won't add an additional 6 months or a year to your experience/education path. It is explicitly indicated at the link.

If I were you and I wanted to get the path completed with fewer work hours, I would suggest the M.Arch as that would reduce your required number of years of experience you need to work under an architect because the education will provide more credit.

In addition an NAAB accredited M.Arch program will have more credit towards the 8-years education/experience. You will need to complete the required IDP training hours, though. 

The degree would allow reciprocity more states. From a career perspective, I suggest you look into your options and discuss them with your Uncle and perhaps other architects. It doesn't really matter if you get your IDP done first than pursue a M.Arch or work on it while working as well or after you get the M.Arch. It's your choice. Take time to discern this for yourself. Talk with your Uncle who will effectively be your IDP supervisor and possibly IDP mentor as well. If you haven't enrolled in IDP, I suggest you do so now so the hours worked can be earned and recorded.

I would suggest work on IDP and have more time to discern if you really want to get an M.Arch. It can make getting jobs at firms in other states, easier.

I would probably skip worrying about a CAD degree. Maybe a 1 yr CAD certificate or something if you need to learn some of the software. If it will not cost an ordeal or take a lot of time each week, sure. Perhaps, do it at part-time while working full-time. Just keep in mind, it won't reduce your required education. Treat it simply as workforce training so you have the technical proficiency with the tools but it doesn't replace an architecture degree as there is a bit more to it than just technical knowledge of how to use Autocad or Revit. There is a lot of design and design-thinking courses. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is anything perhaps worth reading/study material:

books by Francis d.k. Ching. 

Parker-Ambrose's Simplified Engineering for Architects and Builders

This site at the following link: http://www.miltonstricker.com  - some resources in the design thinking methods used by Frank Lloyd Wright.

There are many more additional resources but a few to start.

Learn the vocabulary, concepts, etc. There are many books. There is other career opportunities besides being an licensed architect or being a draftsman. There is building design or residential design, interior design, landscape design, etc.

This is just some stuff that might be worth it for your bedtime reading. They are only the top 1" of the tip of the iceberg.

Good Luck. 

That is all I intend to say. 

Sep 29, 15 12:02 am  · 
 · 

Don't take my word for it but if others say the same thing I said than take it for its worth.

placebeyondthesplines doesn't like me. So take what he says with a grain of salt, too.

Sep 29, 15 12:05 am  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Architecture degrees are pretty much art degrees, even though your degree was unrelated, with those couple of autocad classes you are actually technically more valuable to architecture firms than probably 70% of architecture grads. I've met two licensed architects who don't hold degrees and I respect them more than most others, because they substituted a bunch of overpriced self worshipping architecture classes for real world experience. 

Sep 29, 15 1:39 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Just stating facts, Dick.

Balkins does not hold any degree in architecture. He does not in fact have more than an associate's degree in anything. He's woefully underqualified to advise anyone on matters of education in architecture. He is a cancer on this forum (look at his post history), and a complete failure in life.

But he is right that I don't like him.

Sep 29, 15 2:02 am  · 
 · 

placebeyondthesplines,

$25,000 and I'll have my bachelors degree. Considering there is a full-time HOUSING cost even for part-time college. I have to pay the same amount for housing cost in going to Eugene, Oregon whether I am there one day a week or 7 days a week. 

There is maybe 19-24 credits worth. It would be extremely difficult to predict exact course offering timing for the geography program and one course in the historic preservation minor and I should be pretty much done with that minor. That is literally how close I am to completion of the major and minor.

Get off my ass about not completing the remaining courses.

If you or anyone else here complains about me not yet finishing the last 19-24 or so credits needed for the Bachelor's degree, therefore shall agree to pay me as a grant on the order of $25,000 for me to finish the bachelor's degree.

If  more than one of you on this forum complains about me not yet finishing the last 19-24 credits or so needed for the Bachelor's degree, then they shall share the cost to paying me as a grant on the order of $25,000 for me to finish the bachelor's degree.

Sep 29, 15 2:49 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

More excuses.

More delusions.

Why the fuck must you ruin every fucking thread in this forum?

Sep 29, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

OP, Work for your uncle and start logging your hours. Learn from him. Teach yourself as well with a wide range of publications from Europe and South America as well as the US. Spend a lot of time on the job sites asking questions of the foremen and the tradesmen. Take some of the money you saved and actually go visit the great buildings of the world. Keep aware of the advances and developments in civil engineering and landscape architecture and the art world. You will do fine.

Sep 29, 15 9:34 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

So, basically, Balkins was right. Don't waste your time on the associates.

Sep 29, 15 9:35 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

No one cares if you finish or why you haven't. We all know that it'll never happen, and I for one take comfort in the knowledge that you won't ever be an architect. 

But all of that is irrelevant here. The point, as it has always been, is that you aren't qualified to give other people advice on this subject. 

Sep 29, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Original poster:  in the short term you might consider working for your uncle while also taking some continuing ed courses - more CAD if you feel you need that, and/or courses that would help you develop some portfolio material.  After working for a while you'll have a better sense of whether you'd be more interested in continuing in a drafter role, or aspire to be an architect.

If you want to continue in a support role you probably don't need to pursue any formal degree or certificate - though periodic continuing ed to keep on top of software developments may be useful.

If you want to pursue an architecture license then consider whether you will be ok with working in CA throughout your career.  If so, or if you're ok with being limited to other states that will grant reciprocity to someone without an NAAB degree, then sticking with your uncle until you qualify based on experience to take the licensing exams is probably the route with more earning potential as you won't have to interrupt your career for 3 years and pay tuition for an M.Arch.

If you want the flexibility to pursue licensing throughout the US then pursuing an M.Arch would give you more choices.

Sep 29, 15 11:23 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

File your IDP paperwork, etc, for your NCARB / CA qualification sooner, rather than later.  You'd hate to have them change the rules on you.

Sep 29, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I'm doing exactly what you are talking about and it is working. If you would like to get that A.S degree and pursue a B.arch it will work and you can get a job at a firm too if you can survive. I'm in an Pre articulated A.A working towards a B.D in architecture then I would like to pursue an M.Arch, but I'm thinking about going to University of Miami if I don't get accepted in the UCF program.......choices ......choices.

Sep 29, 15 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

placebeyondthesplines,

Thank You for accepting to sponsoring a $25,000 grant to me to finish the rest of my Bachelor's degree.  

Sep 29, 15 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The OP already has a BS degree.  There's not a lot of value in getting an AS in that situation - he'd be better off taking individual courses to develop a portfolio and then apply to an M.Arch - it will be a shorter route and better suited for an older student changing careers.

Sep 29, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Yes it would! A 3 year option to a M.Arch is alot better than a 5 or 6 year option for sure especially on the pocket. I'm in Orlando Fl and there is only one architecture program in central Fl, but it is extremely competive to get into the ucf program I work full time also .

Sep 29, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^agree.  Spend a good year putting together a portfolio and then apply to a 3+ M-arch.  I would take a good look at some portfolios that were accepted first though.  

Sep 29, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Most people jump through the MArch hoops to get an entry level job. The OP already HAS an entry level job. The difference between being employed for the next three years vs. paying tuition for the next three years is staggering. Even more when you factor in the interest on loans and the forgone 401K contributions for those college years. Not to mention he will most likely learn far more working for his uncle than he could ever get in a university setting. He already has one university degree, why continue the waterboarding?

Sep 29, 15 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Volunteer,

Reciprocity is the biggest reason for pursuing an M.Arch at this point.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend wasting time on an associates degree unless it is basically work force training and gaining technical proficiency with tools his Uncle may not be able to adequately train him to use. It won't aid any in his process to licensure in California per CCR Section 117.

As in, it won't get him any closer to completing the license path unless they change it in the future to do so. As it is, right now, no.

Sep 29, 15 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

@ gordon31991, congrats on finishing your undergrad and being able to find work that is meaningful and rewarding to you.  not a small feat not matter what anyone says.

regarding community college.  the Boston Architectural College offers individual online courses.  You do not have to enroll or apply to take individual courses.  1 or 2 may help you in the interim period before grad. school.  

regarding grad. school.  if you wish to become a licensed architect you need a NAAB accredited degree.  Check out the NAAB and NCARB website to learn about how to become an architect.

Even if you do not wish to become licensed, the graduate degree is a major accomplishment that will open up a lot of doors that would be otherwise closed to others.  In place of being just a drafter you will have more opportunities to grow and network.  

Best of luck to you.  

Sep 29, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

rob_c,

If he wants to become a licensed architect, he doesn't need to have an NAAB accredited degree in California unless the laws change to remove experience path to licensure.

He can be licensed in a number of states without an NAAB accredited degree. If he wants to be NCARB Certified (not counting the BEA process), he will probably need to have an NAAB accredited degree. Some states may prohibit him from getting licensed there unless he is NCARB certified, have an NAAB accredited degree or complete the BEA process.

Sep 29, 15 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins writes: "There is other career opportunities besides being an licensed architect or being a draftsman. There is building design or residential design, interior design, landscape design, etc."  

so what do architects do?  oh yeah, design buildings and houses, and drafters help produce all the required drawings, and basically anything else needed to get things done.  balkins is blind to the arrogance of his statement, essentially discrediting three professions, architecture, landscape architecture, and interior design.  his attitude towards formal training is equally disturbing in that he has no education, and his professional experience is limited to seasonal handy man projects.  

what's the etc in his statement?  urban planner?  constitutional lawyer?  state licensing regulatory board member?  

Sep 29, 15 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

: ( my God you guys are rippin that guy he is a building designer isn't he?

You guys sound like my professor criticing my classroom.....room filled with shattered dreams, she told me my site plan loked like a painting and told me to go redue it...lol.

Sep 29, 15 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

rob_c,

Your right, I should have wrote it better. I was referring to being a "building designer or residential designer" under the exemption. Yes, architects can practice interior design but it doesn't mean they go by the title interior designer.  I did say interior designer. I just didn't elaborate every one of them. BTW: etc.  meaning also landscape architecture (as a landscape architect), and others. The list goes on but I didn't want to write every possible occupation. 

I do have formal education. Keep focused on the subject matter of the OP.

I have as much formal education if not more than that of a 5 year B.Arch with over 340 earned credits of formal education.

You miss the point. I said the OP doesn't require an NAAB accredited degree to become a licensed architect. That is stating a fact of California law. Add to that, there is something like 20 or so states that doesn't require a NAAB accredited degree for initial licensure. 

I'm not suggesting that the OP follow my path. I'm not. 

I was correcting your statement because YOU failed to read California licensing law. You seem to fail to catch that gordon (the OP -> original poster of this thread) is in California. He indicated that in his post when he said:

Hello guys, I recently finished my undergrad at a University in California with a BS degree unrelated to Architecture but later decided on a career change to Architecture/Draftsmen. 

and

I understand that you can become an architect in California without completing a degree but instead, working in the field for 8 years under a licensed Architect. 

These two statements should have rung a bell. You wrote verbatim:

regarding grad. school.  if you wish to become a licensed architect you need a NAAB accredited degree.  Check out the NAAB and NCARB website to learn about how to become an architect.

You wrote downright that "if you wish to become a licensed architect you need a NAAB accredited degree. " By that statement alone, you are factually WRONG. Very big wrong when his own state adopted laws and rules regarding architectural licensure says otherwise. 

Did they forget to teach you researching skills in architecture school?

I won't say I am perfect or the greatest researcher. I won't claim that but you have your formal education. You should be officially superior. So your almighty highness, how can you have missed such a basic fact. You're a licensed architect with your formal education. How can I such a lowly person with no 'formal education' know this fact about California architectural licensing that you almighty highness with a 'formal education' didn't ????

Sep 29, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I think the question might be, "which states, if any (?),  will not grant reciprocity to another state's licensed architect if the licensed architect seeking reciprocity achieved his licensure without having an NAAB degree?". It seems to deny reciprocity on that basis would be a slap in the face of the first state's licensing procedures and competence. In any event the OP could just partner with a firm operating in the state in question, of course.

Sep 29, 15 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

interesting, so i am wrong about licensing in California.  at least from this initial post from a highly un-credible forum member.  i supposed if i really cared i could call the state myself to verify if what you say is true.  the fact is, I don't.  

i still stand by my point, without a professional degree the OP will struggle to advance his career beyond the walls of his family's business.  And you're still blindly arrogant to the value of a formally trained professional architect and the genuine need for them.

Sep 29, 15 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

What rob_c said, especially in the post at 3:59. A NAAB-accredited degree may not be formally required in California, but your career as an architect will be severely hindered without one. Don't bother with an associates degree; it would be a complete waste of time, especially for somebody who already has bachelor's degree.

And Balkins is the last person in the universe who should be offering career advice or giving lectures about credibility.

Sep 29, 15 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sharky McPeterson

Balkins for AIA President!

Sep 29, 15 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, in today's job environment I think it is batshit to suggest the OP forgo working for his uncle and piss away up to $50,000 a year for three years, and forgo a job probably paying north of $35,000, to go to school to learn a fraction of what he could working in an office actually doing the work. What if he gets out in three years and there is a recession on and his uncle can't take him on. He is $150,000 in debt with no job and a useless degree with no experience.  

Sep 29, 15 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Nobody goes to grad school to do menial entry-level drafting; they go to grad school to become architects. The menial entry-level drafting job after graduation is a step toward better things.

People who don't have professional degrees, with few exceptions, will remain stuck in menial entry-level positions for the rest of their careers. I was in that boat myself until I finished my professional degree.

If the OP currently has a decent job, then the prudent thing to do might be to stick with it until he/she has learned all they can, or until the economy takes a downturn again. Then go to grad school and get an MArch degree.

Sep 29, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The OP plans on working for and with his registered architect uncle. He can get all the experience and qualifications he needs right there to become licensed. Why would he be stuck in a menial entry-level job if he is being mentored by his uncle? He already has an undergraduate degree and is presumably literate and well-educated. Apprenticing used to be the preferred way of gaining architectural experience. Under the OP's circumstances apprenticeship would seem to be the most effective way, economically and educationally, for him to achieve his goal. Perhaps after working for his uncle he can take over the business or strike out on his own.

Sep 29, 15 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

He may be able to do that, and that may be fine - if the uncle's business continues to do well.  It does limit flexibility.  About half of all states do not grant reciprocity without an NCARB certificate - which requires an NAAB degree for the standard route.  Some of those will accept an NCARB certificate earned through the Broadly Experienced Architect process (which requires several years of practice as a licensed architect, an interview and portfolio process that costs several thousand dollars and usually takes more than a year, and has a 30% success rate and accounts for less than 1% of all NCARB certificate holders) - but there are several states that will not even accept that and absolutely require an NAAB degree.

As for partnering with a licensed architect in a state where he wants to work:  it's possible in some states and not others.  It depends on state specifics as to who may have ownership in a firm, how work may be supervised, whether an unlicensed person can solicit projects in the state, etc.

He can start out with his uncle and see how things go.  No reason to rush into an M.Arch immediately.

Sep 29, 15 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I thought I heard once that California was the "8th largest economy in the world".  Not too bad to be "stuck" with a license in "only" that place.  That's bigger than Italy, Canada, Brazil, Australia and plenty of other places.

You're opportunities are what you make of them, right Balkins? 

Sep 29, 15 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

rob_c, 

If you pay any attention, I didn't disagree with what you wrote here as quoted:

Even if you do not wish to become licensed, the graduate degree is a major accomplishment that will open up a lot of doors that would be otherwise closed to others.  In place of being just a drafter you will have more opportunities to grow and network.  

I don't disagree with this. I disagreed with your previous paragraph. Next time, it might be better to proofread the paragraph to communicate what you really mean.  The quote of yours in italics above, I was saying essentially the same thing. 

If you actually read what I wrote in the first place, you wouldn't be in any disagreement.  

I wasn't pushing gordon one way or the other. That is for him to decide. While he has this job, I recommended he get enrolled in IDP and plug those hours away. Build a portfolio and if it comes to a time that he wants to enroll in a NAAB accredited degree program, he has some good material that would be worth it.

If you read what I said to gordon in the first place, what is it in what I said is wrong or otherwise disasterous for gordon. He has a job with his uncle who is a registered architect. Therefore, he should pursue completing IDP so its done and out of the way. He can pursue the M.Arch, any time either before initial licensure or post-licensure. It is up to him. I am not suggesting one or the other. Just that these options are available to him. 

In addition, I suggest even though there is being a licensed architect or a draftsman, there are other career avenues as well. All of which he could end up. I'm not making the decisions for the person.

Sep 29, 15 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS, 

Yes. 

Sep 29, 15 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

oh jesus christ is this another balkins grandstanding thread? 

to OP - take a look at UCLA's  and cal poly san luis obispo's programs. i've come across some students doing fantastic work from both institutions. I would suggest getting a degree as it will always open the door to other opportunities, as well as helping you build a strong portfolio - a key to acceptance in any strong firm. in addition, it will help you break out of the role of a "draftsman" and into a more design based role early in your career (which, I assume is ideal if your end goal is to be an architect). 

Sep 29, 15 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

rob_c wrote:

And you're still blindly arrogant to the value of a formally trained professional architect and the genuine need for them.

There is such a thing as licensed morons. Just because you passed the ARE doesn't really mean you are competent or professional by a true definition of professional. 

i supposed if i really cared i could call the state myself to verify if what you say is true.  the fact is, I don't.

As you wrote here is exactly indicative of why you shouldn't be licensed. You don't care. That attitude is poor moral character. Second, you think you have to call the licensing board? Sure, you can do that or you go to the website of the California Architect Board and read the law and rules. Oh, yeah, I already provided the fucking direct link to the administrative rules that proved my point. Do you really think I would go through that much elaborate work to create a mock architectural licensing board website of California Architect Board with edited laws? If so, you are a fucking idiot. I don't have the inclination or desire to do anything like that let alone spend several years in California state prison.

Here's the link again. 

Before replying.... don't. Just don't. Read the rules and get back to the gordon's question and focus there. 

Check the facts. Very simple: http://www.cab.ca.gov/   for California Architect Board.

Sep 29, 15 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

"Your right, I should have wrote it better."

"...it might be better to proofread..."

Jesus tapdancing Christ, Balkins.

Sep 29, 15 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
I'm sure it's been said, but is getting lost in the fight, but don't spend your time on an Associates. An Associates in Arch Technology or Drafting does nothing for you that you couldn't do with a few books and some time. If you are serious about architecture look into MArch programs.
Sep 29, 15 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

rob_c and placebeyondthesplines,

You two, get a room.

Sep 29, 15 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Is there a spare one at your parents house? I wouldn't want you to be crowded.

Sep 29, 15 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Oh no.  You know how literal he is - now we're gonna get an essay on the layout of his parents' attic.

Sep 29, 15 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

nope but there are plenty at the hotels.

Sep 29, 15 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I think I'll just buy a second home in Astoria and hire Balkins to cut my lawn.
Sep 29, 15 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

rob_c,

I'll just make sure to plant some devil's clubs and blackberry brush for home security. LOL!

Sep 29, 15 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Hey!!!!!!! stop knocking A.S degrees I have one and it is helping me out exponentially thru my architecture education. It got me a job, I'm a step ahead of all my classmates who can't even read more or less draft a set of CD's I bet there are architecture students who wouldn't last a day in the production environment that I work in. My class talks about rainbows and butterflies, literally one girl referenced a butterfly to the Morro De provodencia...lol my boss would laugh and kick her ass out. My project focused on the art of JR and how the city struck me as a story, a story that involved a circulation of existence tormented by the pain of death and violence surrounding the city.. not a butterfly. I tried to create a linear circulation that formed an axis for an existence, an existence made up of a rhythm of elements that are formed by a interlocking never ending flow of violence ( colored pencil)...she told me it looked like a painting to hang on wall and to start over but that's beside the case.

Sep 29, 15 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

My point isn't about dissing A.S. degrees. My reply to gordon is considering gordon's situation as stated. I am not against an A.S. degree. I targeted my response in connection with California architectural licensing regulation per CCR Section 117.

I don't recommend pursuing an Associates degree when he has a bachelors degree. It won't get him through licensing any quicker. It doesn't add to the educational credit for experience.

Per CCR Section 117, Subsection (b) Education Equivalents:

(8) A candidate who possesses a degree and possesses units from more than one college or university shall have the degree evaluated first prior to evaluating additional education credits.

(9) A candidate with multiple degrees shall not be able to accumulate credit for more than one degree unless he or she has received one professional degree in architecture and one post professional degree in architecture or with an emphasis on architecture as specified in subsection (a)(14)(A). Otherwise, the degree that receives the most credit as determined by subsection (a) shall take priority over any other degree.

Most important to point is (9).  I correct myself if I said earlier, only time two degrees are accumulated is in a situation as specified in (9). 

Sep 30, 15 1:03 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins you didn't check CCR section 70.1 regarding what is known colloquially as self taught knowledge. It can be reported to the state under sworn affidavit.
Sep 30, 15 1:12 am  · 
 · 
midlander

MyDream: I have no idea whether your scheme is good. But good architects can and do design things based on paintings that hang on a wall. Look past stupid criticism and figure out what you need to do to make it work.

Sep 30, 15 2:06 am  · 
 · 

There is no Section 70.1 in the CCR Title 16 Division 2. California Board of Architect Examiners. 

The applicable rules is Article 3. Examinations, Section 117.

If you got it from a very old copy of the regulations from 30 years ago or something... maybe.

Sep 30, 15 2:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: