Archinect
anchor

Beautiful Way to design the kitchen with wood parts

kumarram1056

Please share your ideas and tips here. Thank you. 

Sep 28, 15 8:52 am
null pointer

well shit that is ugly.

Sep 28, 15 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Those little cubbies must be really handy when you have to get a heavy pot off the stove. The shoe molding around the island is much more functional than a toe space. And I'll bet they saved a bundle with that Home Depot tile.

Sep 28, 15 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just bought a house this weekend and looking to redo the entire kitchen. This is the shit I want to avoid.

Sep 28, 15 11:30 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

pegboard.

Sep 28, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Right down to the fake roosters….think today is the day that my head is going to explode.

Sep 28, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I have a friend whose wife came into an inheritance; she intends to blow it all on a kitchen remodel that looks like the top photo. I normally give him my honest opinion but am quiet on this one. He is ready to commit suicide; I cant blame him. The money could have put both their grandkids through college debt-free.

Sep 28, 15 11:45 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i knew someone who had this kitchen. one of the roosters on the mantel above the stovetop fell off and into a pot of boiling water which splashed into the eyes of this person who spun in pain, tripped over the wrought iron counter stool and broke her jaw on the tile and was concussed by the apples which fell off the island. it was a rough day in the kitchen.

Sep 28, 15 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Or, you could use wood like this:

Sep 28, 15 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

the difference between Julia Child's kitchen and the first one is striking.  The first one has plastic roosters, fruits, and vegetables.  It's a cartoon version of what a kitchen is and the owner probably doesn't know how to do much more than press express cook on the microwave.  Julia's is missing all that tacky ornament because she knows how to actually cook and chicken and fresh vegetables.  Julia also doesn't have a Viking gas range.  I guess you can hashtag me as #statingtheobvious but why else would someone want a bunch of plastic roosters sitting around their kitchen?  Is it supposed to simulate some kind of farm fantasy?  

Sep 28, 15 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Just saw this 3 minute video this morning, seems relevant. Ruth Reichl's memoir Tender at the Bone is great.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000003936272/in-the-kitchen-with-ruth-reichl.html?src=me

Sep 29, 15 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Even though this puts me out of a job, this is the best article on kitchen makeovers ever written.

god, I'm tearing up again just re-reading it. My kitchen is beautiful because it is full of beauty. Suck it, Schumacher.

Sep 29, 15 10:22 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i read that article donna, and thought, that lady needs to update her kitchen.

then i thought, i need to update my kitchen. just one more thing.  *sigh*

Sep 29, 15 11:26 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

style aside, I'd much rather have counter space adjacent to the stove than cabinetry. 

Sep 29, 15 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

And the lady of the house should not have to stand on hard tile floors for all the time she spends in the kitchen; the wood floors with a little give are much better. Also in the upper photo the granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and pot lights are rapidly becoming obsolete. Soon they will date the kitchen worse than the unfortunate cabinets.

Sep 29, 15 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Um, the "lady of the house" is the only one in the kitchen?

Sep 29, 15 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

In my little corner of the universe I am "Igor" the kitchen pots and pans and dishes cleaner and floor mopper. Even so, I spend quite a bit less time in the kitchen than my wife who enjoys cooking and is quite good at it. We happen to have wooden floors in the kitchen, if not I would have installed them by now.

Sep 29, 15 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

Hmm, my meme of Fry from Futurama saying "not sure if serious or sarcastic" didn't publish. Odd.

Sep 29, 15 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

here you go!

Sep 29, 15 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks curt.

Sep 29, 15 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

if you want a kitchen like that pick up a saroyan moulding catalog and build a wedding cake out of wood..trim on trim on trim...like a classical order, but where you do whatever the fuck you want..more is more...even better get your builder to design it...or design it yourself.

Sep 29, 15 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

There is a local house I posted on Facebook, a flip of a one-story ranch that was turned into a two story Colonial-ish monstrosity. I posted it in particluar because the lack of symmetry on the front is SOOOOOO bad, I can't even.  But I was proud of one of my friends - not an architect - who also could not abide the bizarro symmetry and said the interior shots by the realtor looked like "the Pottery Barn catalogue threw up in there". Some people get it. Most, sadly, don't.

Sep 29, 15 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: