Archinect
anchor

Searching place to live and work around the world

LucasV

Hello,

My name is Lucas and this year i'm finishing my masterdegree in architecture in Belgium.

In order to become a full licensed architect in Belgium you need to have 2 years of 'trial period' but I've found out you can have 6-12 months of that trial period abroad.

Now my question is if somebody here got experience with that. I would love to work abroad, I don't really care where... can be the United States, Dubai, London, Bangkok, Hong Kong, ...

I've already did some research about the income and average lifecosts of several countries/cities, but most of them are a little outdated. Any places you would recommend?

If possible, can you tell me where you're from, whats the average income of a (beginning) architect and what a small place to live in costs please?

Any advice of which period I should send my portfolio? (i'm finishing at the end of june 2016)

What if I just wanted to stay somewhere? Of course it depends on the location where I would want to work, but (please correct me if i'm wrong) I think in the US you need to take some exams or courses before being fully licensed as an architect (AIA). Is it in other countries the same or can you start somewhere just with your degree?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, 

Lucas

Sep 27, 15 12:20 pm

Hi Lucas,

That is quite a post! I would recommend thinking about what you want to be doing in 5-10 years. Do you want to be at a large corporate firm doing high-rise residential or a small office doing single family homes? Have a plan for where you want to be and chart a course to get there. Living abroad is a great experience (I have lived in Auckland, San Francisco, London and Madrid). However, just the fact you are living in another country doesn't help your career. 

You are correct about becoming licensed in the US, there are seven exams after a three year internship. Check out the NCARB website for more info. www.ncarb.org

Good luck!

Brandon

www.thearchitectsguide.com

Sep 27, 15 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

Cool!

I am finishing my bachelor at the end of june 2016 as well..

I can tell you few things about Dubai...life is amazing, salaries for fresh grad architects are high (1000 to 3500 U.S dollar a month), life cost is reasonable (exception is the rents' cost)...

Sep 27, 15 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
LucasV

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice!

Personally I rather be designing bigger/larger buildings than just family homes (public buildings, appartment buildings, schools, sporthalls etc). I also prefer a mid to large size firm where I can grow in function and have more responsibility (in 5-10-20 years).

For the financial aspect... I guess it doesn't really matters where I will start. Everywhere I will be able to get a small appartment/studio and have enough money to buy food and clothes :)

I've got another question I would like to add...
I've been working with Revit (BIM) for over 4 years now and I'd rather keep using the program (although the most it was self study and i'm medium+ skilled). But should it influent my choice of a firm? Can I / should I reject some offers to work somewhere if they are not using this BIM software or is this just ridiculous to ask?

@Zaina; Do you have any idea what you have to before being fully licensed as an architect in Dubai / United Arab Emirates? exams? courses? internship? ...
Anyone else got something to recommend (or dissuade)? Please share :)

Thanks again!

Oct 1, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

stop the bus - $1,000 to $3,500 a month is high? is this pre or post tax?

Oct 1, 15 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

ivorykeyboard- still they haven't introduce taxes in Dubai, so I guess the answer is (pre)

Lucas- I'll get back to you, really not sure...I didn't ask simply because I'm personally not interested in staying or working in Dubai, still I understand your enthusiasm about living in big cities and starting with big firms..

Oct 1, 15 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

This:

"...just the fact you are living in another country doesn't help your career."

is utter tosh.

(with respect, BH)

I argue for the scenic route, in all aspects of decision making. 

Explore cities and countries with an open mind and keen powers of observation. Work environments are incredibly similar wherever you go, but the experience of living in different places is what will help you expand your perspective, knowledge and view of design. What you are interested in right now may not be what you are interested 5 years from now. Why tie yourself to a particular stream of architecture before you've even had a chance to get your toes wet?

To answer some of your more practical questions: it's not necessary to be licensed in Canada or the States to work in the field of architecture, landscape, or urban design at your level. You would be looking for work as a 'graduate designer' / 'junior designer' or similar. For a 6-12 month experience, I wouldn't even bother looking at local architecture licensing requirements unless you plan to stay somewhere for many years.

For cost of living, I've used this website for comparison sake and it's kept pretty up to date by local residents.

Try this link for information about salary for your experience level.

Best of luck!

Oct 1, 15 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: