Archinect
anchor

Is architecture school the right option for me?!

huddymac

So I'm about to graduate from highschool,and my career goal is to be able to design/create tree-houses and miniature houses/nooks In general. I just really like the idea of small, functional, cozy spaces. So I was wondering what type of schooling yall think would be most optimal to reach this goal? I was thinking a tradional architecture school might be too intensive, and was condering other options like a construction trade school, or product design, but I really don't know. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sep 26, 15 11:24 pm
archiwutm8

Ask for a 2 week work experience in a architect firm/studio, look at the people's faces to see if they're enjoying it and see if that's what you want to do in a few years time.

Sep 28, 15 5:56 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

100K plus to get an architecture degree in order to design tree houses??  Is this a serious question?

Sep 28, 15 6:56 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Tree houses are better than toilets RIIIGGHHHT?

Sep 28, 15 8:23 am  · 
 · 

Forget school, go into construction and learn how to build things. You'll be decades ahead of architecture students. And instead of accruing huge debts you'll be earning dough. Study whatever you find interesting on your own time.

Sep 28, 15 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ and you will make much more money

Sep 28, 15 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Isn't it amazing how many of us consider the formal architectural education system largely worthless and unconnected to reality?  Is anyone from NAAB listening????

Sep 29, 15 6:59 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Dude!?

No.

Sep 29, 15 9:59 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Architecture school and requires an enormous amount of self discipline - my suggestion is for you to join the Marines first - this will give you the necessary tools to meet the challenge of architecture - "adapt, improvise and overcome" 

Sep 29, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 
zonker

I only say that because one of my classmates was a Seabee and her husband was a SEAL - team - 6 - she was tough, would stay in studio 4 days and nights straight to get her projects done - I was assigned to her project teams and no one could go home until our work was done - 

Sep 29, 15 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: