Archinect
anchor

Creating A Professional Work Portfolio (Advice)

blanket statements

Hi All,

I have been working for the past 6 years, having spent 4 abroad all throughout Asia. I have worked on countless projects ranging from interiors, retail, print, and visual merchandising. I am now returning to the US and plan on applying for jobs. However, I'm not too sure how to represent my works. I have browsed many portfolios which typically happen to be students who have a lot of diagrams and pretty process images. My main collection of my work are rendered images or final product images. Is there an example or way I can feature my work nicely?

Long story short....I am a professional with lots of projects but not a lot of process/ diagram images. Any suggestions on putting together a nice portfolio?

Thanks

Sep 25, 15 5:23 am
thearchitectsguide

When applying to any architecture job I advise applicants to use the shortest portfolio possible.

For the first contact architecture application I recommend a “sample portfolio”, usually two to five pages long. Just like the resume, it is only a snapshot of your greatest work and experience.

I am only talking about the initial introduction to a firm, not the in person interview. For that I recommend a full length traditional portfolio.  

As for what to include in this short portfolio try to think about the process in reverse. Instead of building a portfolio and looking for a job, find a firm or specific job you are interested in and build a relevant, targeted portfolio for that role. A portfolio to a high design firm would look very different compared to a more conventional office.

I also suggest reaching out to anyone and everyone you know in the architecture community. Do you have any current or former co-workers at firms you want to work for? Hopefully this will help you get your foot in the door!

This article might be helpful for you.

The Two Page Architecture Portfolio

Good luck!

Brandon

www.thearchitectsguide.com

Sep 25, 15 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
blanket statements

Thanks Brandon for some sound advice. Do you have any examples I could take a look at? Creating a 2 page portfolio may sound simple but can be in fact even more difficult to sell. Thanks again.

Sep 25, 15 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Start by researching where you want to work (both location and office type). Do you want to work in a large corporate office? Small boutique firm? Interior design office? 

Once you have selected the offices you want to apply to, say around 30 firms, research anything and everything about each office. Create a folder for each office and fill it with their previous projects, leadership profiles, if and what roles they are hiring and any other information that may be helpful. 

Then use this data to figure out what of your "countless projects" are relevant to each office and the position(s) within those offices you are applying. Create a subfolder within each office of YOUR relevant work to that office and position. The number of projects can be as many as you like.

Then take those projects in the subfolder and pick your best, most compelling five projects. Use these selected projects to then build a two to five page sample portfolio that uses minimal imagery and short descriptions to explain why you are a good fit. Think of it as a visual resume rather than a portfolio.

Don't get overly caught up with wasting too much time on layout. The important issues are relevance, clarity and simplicity to tell your unique story. 

Good luck!

Brandon

www.thearchitectsguide.com

Sep 26, 15 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

I'd say diagrams as portfolio are pretty boring for me. You need to showcase your expertise and greatest work in your portfolio and the best way to do that is to show them the finish product as much as possible. Rendering images and models are good, since your potential employer will be able to visualize your model. If you can, you can also have your best work 3d printed (like a miniature or prototype) so that your employer can not only visualize your model but they can also physically manifest it. We need to be creative and innovative in showcasing our talents and skills to gain competitive advantage against our competitors.

Oct 1, 15 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Work samples: show the work relevant to the position (renderings/CDs/finished photography); they should encompass design and skill set - if quality of design is not up to par with the office you're applying for, maybe the skill set is.

Portfolio: given that your projects seem small scale, a series of layouts showing the range of work relevant to the firms you are looking at seems like a good approach.  Sketches and diagrams are relevant if you are showing design offices.  Renderings are most relevant if they are done by you, or if they are exceptional design.  Finished photography will be judged as much on quality of image and composition as well as the product.  You'll want to limit to the content to what can be reviewed in 15~20 minutes with 'supplemental' work for more conversation (photograph/graphics/sketches/furniture/etc).

Layouts matter to many firms - they expect that you can write and lay out drawings well (it's part of design).

At 6yrs, you probably should carry a couple half size sets of CDs that you have been in charge of as well. Not part of initial application, but CAD work can be requested (prepare a work sample), and it's best to have the sets for interviewer to review.

Oct 2, 15 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: