Archinect
anchor

undergrad bs or barch

veggies4lyf

Hi!! i'm a current high school senior and i'm applying for schools and i've been reading so many forums that it's changed my ideas and now i'm kinda lost and confused so...

my stats:

ACT: 33 maybe higher I just retook it

GPA: 3.95

as for portfolio i think its pretty solid because art turned me onto architecture 

before I was only looking at barch schools:

• cornell - i was on the fence about the location before but i visited and surprisingly liked it a lot. the studio space was very nice, open, and very white which i liked
  •  rice - also visited, not my absolute fav, i didnt get the same vibe as i did at cornell
  • cal poly - i watched some tour videos on youtube and i was mainly concerned about the campus it kinda looked old and not updated.. i also heard its more technical 
  • sci-arc - i think its too architecture specific, looking at bigger schools now mostly
  • usc - on their website it says they offer both barch and bs? 

but after further research i've realized that i don't really want to be slaving away for 5 years and pass out on the college experience. 

i've recently been looking at these bs programs: uva, virginia tech, ucla, wustl, university of washington, tulane, uf but i'm a bit confused as the whole 4+2 thing because from what i see most m.arch programs are 3 years+

and to further complicate things i'm also interested in possibly pursuing my master in europe (idk if this is possible maybe im just naive lol i haven't found much on this) 

and just to clarify i'm looking for a more design based school, preferably in a bigger city. and just to paint a picture of the type of person i am... im vegan and my hair is grey/silver so yeah you can judge me lol 

anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated!! 

Sep 22, 15 7:00 pm

I am not really familiar how the architectural programs in US works since I am not living there, but here in our country we have 4 years BS Architectural course (where you will attend Academic school for 4 years) and the +2 years is for apprentice or OJT. I'd say take up BS Architecture.

Sep 22, 15 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

If you don't want to be slaving away for 5 years, then architecture isn't for you. The BArch is actually the shortest path to licensure at this point. Your options are typically to do:

1.  BArch: 5 years.
2.  BSArch+MArch: 4+2 years most of the time. Advanced placement or shorter programs are typically available for that undergrad. You may also be able to do it with a BAArch, or some bachelor of environmental design... though you run the risk of being thrown in with option 3.
3.  Any other four year degree+MArch; 4+3.5 years most of the time. Depending on your grad and undergrad schools, this may be required with less technically intensive architecture undergrad degrees, such as a Bachelor of Arts, etc, or even the BS. But that probably just means you are at Harvard, or went to a fluffy undergrad.

If you want to do some school overseas i would do a BArch here so that you have your accredited degree here, and then go do something in Europe for gravy.

If you want to be really economical, just do a BArch and then go to work

If you want to be diversify your knowledge do an undergrad in something else and then do the long masters program. (that 7+ years though)

If you want to get be somewhere in a middle ground, do a BS and then an MArch. 

Sep 22, 15 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

after further research i've realized that i don't really want to be slaving away for 5 years and pass out on the college experience

The impact on your "college experience" won't matter if you're in a B.Arch or a BS.Arch except that one takes a year longer. Your classes will be just as time-intensive and you'll have to make just as many social sacrifices. If you want to do well, you're necessarily going to have a very different college experience than your peers that don't go into architecture.

No one gives a fuck if you're vegan or what color your hair is. You've done well in school, but all the "lol" and "idk" bullshit makes you sound wildly unprepared for the intellectual rigor that you'll face in architecture school. And if you think Sci-Arc is "too architecture-specific," well, holy shit man, you haven't done much research at all.

If you think I'm being harsh, just wait until you meet your professors. Time to grow up and stop acting like a superficial idiot.

Sep 23, 15 1:11 am  · 
 · 
gruen
A bs arch does give you the opportunity to explore more than a barch does. I'm probably a bit more rounded because of it. It is a slower path. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I was 18-most people don't- so it's ok. By the way-rice also has a bs arch (or maybe it's a BA arch?) you just do 4 years instead of 5.
Sep 23, 15 7:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If this is what the future looks like, all I can say is that my job is safe for a lonnnnnng time.

Sep 23, 15 9:16 am  · 
 · 
veggies4lyf

natematt,

thank you for the advice, really but things into perspective! I think I'm going to apply for both BArch schools and BS schools to keep my options open and then decide based on where I get in. 

placebeyondthesplines,

I don't mind harsh criticism but calling someone a "superficial idiot" is just  uncalled for. What I say on an internet forum does not reflect how prepared or unprepared I am. Because guess what I'm still in high school and this is how high schoolers communicate on the internet. And I was just stating those facts to illustrate what I as looking for in a school. It just meant that I was looking for schools in areas that are more vegan friendly.

By "architecture-specific," I meant that I wouldn't have the opportunity to switch into a different major/ minor in other fields. So, if you would like to tell me why you think that's so wrong that would be helpful instead of just saying "holy shit."

gruen,

I didn't know that about rice... thanks for your insight! If you don't mind me asking where did you do you bs arch?

Sep 23, 15 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Driko
Have you looked at carnige melon? Its a 5 yr program and i feel that it is strong program if you want to do architecture or anything tech related after
Sep 23, 15 10:45 am  · 
 · 
veggies4lyf

driko, would you is carnige melon is more design or technical then? 

Sep 23, 15 10:53 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I think the path to BA arch at rice is the first 4 years. Everyone (I think-not positive) gets-or has the option to get-the BA at 4 years. If you want the Barch you do a year of "preceptorship" (internship/work) and then return for your 5th year.

Main difference between this and Michigan-where I did my bs arch- is that Michigan s program is 2 years of general studies/ prerequisites and then 2 years of arch - where rice is 4 years of arch- which is good and bad. The 2 years of gen studies allows you to explore. The rice program gets you real work experience at a real firm and then an easy 1 more year for the professional degree.

Sci arc is a great program but it's arch only.

If you aren't sure, then a university allows you to switch programs. For me-I started in engineering and hated it and was able to switch - huge for me.

Ignore the haters here. Your questions are good
Sep 23, 15 10:55 am  · 
 · 
veggies4lyf

do you know if they set up the internship for you or if you're required to stay in texas?

I think for me it's honestly going to come down to how much scholarship money I get and based on the financial calculators I get significantly more money from cornell, columbia, mit because i'm in state. 

Sep 23, 15 11:17 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You can enter Virginia Tech's BArch program and then opt into the 4+2 program after a couple years.  No one really starts as a 4+2 person there.

Sep 23, 15 11:38 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Ah yes, the "how high schoolers communicate on the internet" justification. The way you've presented yourself here, despite what you may think, speaks volumes about your maturity and preparedness for architecture school. You're talking to non-high schoolers about what you want to do as a young adult, but you still talk like a child and have the priorities of a child, and you justify it by saying you still are one. 

If you're already thinking about switching out of architecture, you don't have what it takes and shouldn't bother. 

Sep 23, 15 11:42 am  · 
 · 
gruen

the Rice internships are all over the world. Some people stay in the US and some go abroad for their year. The school places you, but I do think you have some say in where you go. 

Money / cost is very important. All of these schools are good (cornell, columbia, MIT, Rice, Virginia Tech). I don't know anything about cal poly or any of the california schools. 

splines: you are big ugly baby. 

Sep 23, 15 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@gruen

;)

Sep 23, 15 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
I think it's above fusion of design with computer technology. It's great school and you have a good shot of getting in. It's pretty reputable school world wide so grad school won't be a problem. I just suggest a school like carnige melon because if later in life you decide not to do architecture a degree from a program like theirs will open up more doors in other fields than your typical B.arch

Anyways take a look for your self. Find the student work page from each University you look at and ask your self is that the type of design you are interested in.

http://soa.cmu.edu
Sep 23, 15 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
swan94

@splines - I think you're unfairly being a bit too harsh here with the whole high-schooler-attitude remarks. I can attest to being rather immature/naïve in high school but found that college (and architecture studio!) to be very sobering, very fast. Even though I'm a fresh grad, I recognize that I'm seeing things with a broader and more mature perspective and have gained many valuable skills on how to do my own research. Maybe it just takes time and experience. OP is already turning out to be more prepared and tolerable than a lot of the idiots we see on the site here. It's just unfortunate that he/she doesn't have the right knowledge set to make an informed decision yet and therefore comes across as clueless.

@veggies4lyfe - although you might have no idea what you want right now, I'd advise you to take a closer look at the curriculums of some of these schools. Based on their websites, you might find lists of required courses, lectures, competitions, student work, or any other amount of information that would tell you what these schools focus on. Some are more technical, some abstract, some focused on sustainability or digital media. Figure out what interests you. In the meantime, check out architecture websites and magazines and read, read, read. Read and sketch.

One very important thing to know: architecture school and studio is probably not like what you think it is, and the professional world of architecture is not like school. natematt has already given you an overview of the kinds of degrees there are out there. So, if you're not really sure if you want to go into architecture, go for a 4+2 with a reputable school. 5-yr programs do tend to be a little more studio-intensive, but may not allow you the breadth of discovery. I personally went to a 4+2 and was able to explore several other fields before focusing into studio. I wouldn't worry about your masters until you get through undergrad and have a better idea of what kind of work you'd like to do.

There are probably a couple posts on this forum that talk about school reputations so do a little research on that if you're looking into specific options. It's totally okay to feel a bit lost but be as prepared as you can and trust that you'll at least make an informed decision. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - trust me, I went through the EXACT same process when applying to schools four years ago.

ETA: piece of advice though - you're approaching the end of high school and about to get into your adult years. Present yourself and your ideas as an adult and you'll gain the respect of older/more experienced peers who can help you on your way or at least treat you like an adult as well.

Sep 23, 15 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

How about RISD? You'll take art classes for the first year so there's one less year to spend in architecture. And you'll end up with a B.Arch.

Sep 23, 15 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

@veggies4lyfe - At this point, if your goal is to become an architect do not compare the bs vs. the barch, but compare the barch vs. the 4+2 march as both provide you the accredited degree necessary for licensure.

Unfortunately, it is a challenge to determine what is best but continue the research, visit the programs and talk with students/alumni of the programs you are interested.

There are variations on the five year barch - Rice, Drexel, BAC, etc. -- there are even 5+ march.  The 4+2 allows you to attend two different institutions, take time between two degrees, or stop after 4 to pursue something else.

All are valid paths.

Best - @DocArchitecture

Sep 26, 15 7:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: