Archinect
anchor

[Canada] Do I need a Masters or Architecture?

Discouraged

Hi all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this.  It may become long winded so I apologize in advance.  

Timeline:

• 26 Years Old
  • Finished high school with poor-mediocre grades
  • Scraped into university (Bachelor of Physical Education and Recreation) immediately after High School and was not interested in it, but was determined to finish my degree
  • Completed the degree in 4 years with poor-mediocre grades (cumulative GPA 2.3, final 2 years 2.6)
  • Worked for about 3 years at various unfulfilling jobs
  • Decided to go back to school for September 2013 intake of the Architectural Technology Program.
  • Graduated in 2015 with a cumulative GPA of 4.0
  • Applied at UBC (MArch), UofC (MArch), UofM (Architectural Masters Prep Program, 1 year), UofT (MArch), and Dalhousie (BEDS/MArch), hoping that they could look past my poor, unrelated university grades and look to my relevant, technical experience where I excelled.
  • Was not accepted to any school.
  • Attempted to take classes through distance learning online to boost my GPA
  • Eventually withdrew as they were over my head and If I stuck with them to the end, my GPA would have been negatively affected.  The classes were over my head because in order to count towards my GPA, they needed to be 300-500 level classes and I basically went into them with no background despite them having no prerequisites. 

After all of that, I'm still interested in becoming an architect, but I am put off by my original experience at university (read, read, read.. test.. vs. technical school where there was a lot of hands on which led to my success as I'm a hands on learner).  Though I feel that if I went back to university for another Bachelors degree, I would be ok because it is something that I'm actually interested in pursuing and if I start at the beginning I might be better off.

All that said, I'm looking for some guidance/advice/cautions/encouragement.

Sorry for the hot air.  Thanks in advance

Sep 21, 15 3:43 pm
Non Sequitur

Short answer to your general question is "Yes". You require an accredited Master's in architecture to qualify for intern status and start logging hours. You can sit for the exams starting at %50 hour completion. Only After 4 successful tests and full intern period (3 to 6 years working full time), you can apply for a license and certificate of practice.

Now for the longer answer... you don't necessarily require a M.Arch... or even any education technically to become a licensed architect in Canada if you complete the RIAC syllabus. This is a program designed for those who chose / cannot take the traditional route towards license and takes about 10-years while working in an office. I personally do not recommend it because a 2y M.arch is faster and offers a much higher-level of education... but it still has it's merits. Something to consider.

Unfortunately, college level grades don't count much when applying for graduate programs. You would need to have a stellar portfolio to out-weight a bad bachelor's degree and I know from experience that applicants with existing tech degrees rarely get into M.arch because of the content of their portfolios. I've even known admissions committee to openly state that anyone who vomits house plans in their application gets dismissed.

With all this said, depending on what province you work/live in, you can apply and pass the tests for building-code designer ID. You are not legally an architect but you can offer design services under a certain scale.

Sep 21, 15 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Discouraged

So what happens if I get a Bachelor of Architecture or Bachelor of Environmental design?  Am I basically working as a technologist and not doing any real designing?  Is it possible to be the "visionary" of a project without that MArch?

Sep 21, 15 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

If your goal is control over the project, you'll probably want to be a developer and not an architect.

Sep 21, 15 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Discouraged

Isn't developer basically "guy with cash telling architect what to do"?  I'm probably sort of romanticizing the architect profession..

Sep 21, 15 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Its not surprising those universities didn't accept you for their Masters program.  Your college grades wouldn't matter much even when applying to a Bachelor's program.  As already mentioned, you'll need to have a very good portfolio of work to show.  The courses in university are quite different from courses you'd take in a technologist program and involves lots of assigned or self-initiated reading, thinking, writing, designing.  MArch programs at schools like UofT and UBC would be tough to get in even with a Bachelor's in Architecture and a decent GPA. 

If you're in no rush to just get your Masters degree completed, I'd suggest going for your Bachelor's in architecture.  You already have some experience in architectural technology and seem fairly certain this is the field you want to be in.  Most undergrads start dropping out of the program when they realize architecture involves more technical, boring, CAD work etc and isn't all fun design work. 

26 years isn't old.. I entered university for my undergrad when I was 25 and we had quite a few students who were in their 30's. 

If you really want to become an architect, the undergrad degree will serve you well.  Otherwise, you could just apply to any firm and work your way up as an architectural technologist.  It may take time to move up the ladder but if you got what it takes, that is what matters.  What degrees or what schools you went to won't mean much in our field if one can't produce the work.

Sep 21, 15 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Discouraged

Accesskb, this is pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well.  Its just tough having to swallow he fact that 6 years of post secondary education were useless in that they're not helping me get into the field that I want.

Looks like I'll be applying for bachelor's programs. 

Sep 22, 15 9:36 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

No offense meant dude, but wtf were doing to get such low grades?

I mean, if you can't get your shit together even when you're consciously taking courses to raise your GPA, what makes you think architecture school is for you?

Genuine question.

Sep 22, 15 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Discouraged, just remember that a bachelor's in architecture will still not allow you to register as an intern or sit for the exams. It's only the first step. It might be in your interest to contact the lower tier graduate programmes (Calgary and Manitoba or even U of M if you speak french) and ask for portfolio guidance. They might be more flexible once they know your name and situation vs just another applicant number with poor university grades.

To answer your other questions:

So what happens if I get a Bachelor of Architecture or Bachelor of Environmental design? Am I basically working as a technologist and not doing any real designing?  

- More or less, yes. Even with a bachelor's in architectural studies you're entering at the bottom of the ladder, equal to the top 25% of the technology college students. You'll be working on the same office tasks and getting equal compensation. The main difference is you'll most likely have far greater student debts. There is room to move-up, however, there will be a clear ceiling on the hourly rate your office can charge clients for unlicensed staff's time. This impacts how far up the project management side of the profession you can go. Not impossible, but you need to find a work environment willing to allow it.

Is it possible to be the "visionary" of a project without that MArch?

- This does not exist and even if this was a real job, how would you qualify without any design training or relevant experience?

BTW, what province are you living / looking to work in? Look for your local RIAC chapter. Perhaps you can do a few Syllabus studios and use that experience to make your way into a M.Arch programme.

Sep 22, 15 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Discouraged

Null pointer,  in the future when asking "genuine questions" perhaps think about phrasing them a little differently.

I wasn't a good student in high school but my family and I knew that I had potential as it sort of ran in the family. (Lawyer, Teachers, Engineers etc).  The expectation was to do some sort of post secondary education upon graduating high school.  Because I slacked, my grades were only good enough to get me into physical education and recreation and at that, I hadn't even planned out my post secondary educational path so I was unprepared.  

I went to University and basically went to class to get bare minimum grades to pass (Read: Cs and Ds get degrees).  I scraped by and got the piece of paper that says I finished.  

My poor academic record is basically a past life.  once I found the field of architecture, my outlook on school changed.  I wanted to be there.  I wanted to learn, and I did well.  4.0 in 2 years is decent, no? 

In regards to the online courses that I tried to take to boost my GPA:  they were hard.  I wasn't used to self paced learning.  I didn't have the base knowledge required to succeed and I quit.  I realize that doesn't paint a very good picture of me as a student, but being in class is a different story than reading everything on my own and not having someone (an instructor/professor/classmates) to turn to for any sort of guidance.

I'm realizing through talking to people (you guys/friends/family) that I'm not ready for the masters program and I should start with a Bachelors to get my feet wet in the university environment again.  If I went straight into a masters program, I'm pretty sure now that It would likely have the same fate as the online courses I tried to take recently.

Sep 22, 15 10:50 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Being 26 in a studio full of 18-year-old idiots sounds unimaginably miserable to me.

Sep 22, 15 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Hold on Discouraged,

Try changing your alias to reflect a change in mindset. You know what worked for you and what didn't. University in an M.Arch isn't necessarily going to have the same fate as the online degree. Some people are simply using scare tactics to discourage people from entering architecture programs. They have an agenda and on a mission because they want to use every strategy and tactic under earth, sky and sea to get people to not attend a University.

First and fore-most, when it comes to Canada recognizing NAAB accredited architecture programs, it doesn't matter which program you choose. If your goal is to get licensed, then find a school that is decent that also supports their students. Choose the path of least resistance. If you really want to become an architect, just do it. Those who are whiny and crying with a pitiful me attitude are going to be approached in a manner where they will discourage you from attending.

You know why you didn't do well in an online program. On-campus programs worked for you. You know why. Therefore, you know what you want in an education. You want approachable instructors/professors, collaborative students that you can bounce ideas back and forth from. You need that synergy to drive you and motivate you. Therefore, those characteristics are going to be something you will want to seek in an NAAB accredited architecture program.

Sep 22, 15 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

You are more ready than you think. What you need to do is change your mindset. Stop with the naming yourself as discouraged and rechanged your discouraged thinking because some individuals here are on a mission to drive any and every possible student away from architecture because in the business end of architecture, there are far too many students being enrolled and far too many supply of architects than there is a demand. Although, things are better than we were in 2009 and 2010 but we have already been in a problematic supply problem for over 30 years. That is another issue but the problem is United States is becoming too Service sector oriented. It needs diversity but we don't have a manufacturing / production sector anymore. It's a shell of its former glory. There is only so many service oriented occupation and without a manufacturing sector for more and more people to go into and make careers, we are going to continue to have problems where we are with so many people seeking all these service oriented white collar jobs that we have a supply and demand because in the past, we had maybe 1 architect/building designer for 3000 citizens. We have  now, maybe 100 architect/building designer/design-builders for every 3000 citizens. The reason is so many more would not be our competition which would never hire us (architects don't hire architects to design their homes... it just doesn't happen very much if at all). So many more would be people from production and manufacturing.

The reason we lost these is simple. We keep pushing these industries out of the cities and the counties don't want them because they are about preserving the unsettled nature of the counties. Add to that, we keep causing inflation by constantly asking for pay increases with zero production improvement. Add to that, more days off. Well, how can we compete with China where they work 7 DAYS A WEEK, 10-16 HOURS A DAY and NEVER ANY DAYS OFF OR VACATIONS. They never inflated their minimum wage and pay levels ever. Pay increase only if you improve production. If you improve production and sales by 10% then you might get a 10% increase in pay.

That is our problem as a country. US !!!!

We made ourselves noncompetitive. We have to revert pay back to 1960s and deflate the U.S. dollar back to 1960s standards to compete with the world. Our problem began back in the mid-1960s and 1970s and progressively got worse. China hasn't raised minimum wage and standard pays much if any in 30+ years. They keep the quantity of there money constant.

If the U.S. Treasury simply stop printing new dollar bills and literally burn (destroy) 95% of it with a systematic process of deflation over the next 10-20 years then we will become a more competitive country. We have to stop printing money. We have a systemic problem because we want more and more.

Sep 22, 15 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Canada although is not the U.S., there are some of the same issues.

Some are simply feeding off your discouraged state of mind and use that to get  you to look to some other occupation. They want them to not pursue architecture. If they had their way, there wouldn't be a single architecture school program in the U.S. They all be shut down and closed for 10-15 or 20 years. Keep in mind that some people simply want to discourage people from enrolling in architecture. If you enroll, just do it. Don't ask for permission. Those individuals that I am referring to are simply going to tell you NO because they don't want to see anyone going into architecture school. 

You can read that vibe every time they write. 

Good luck, if you truly want to pursue architecture - think about the profession, is it something you want to be part of. Is it something you want to do for your career. Think with all the good, the bad and the ugly aspect of the profession. Is it something you want to do. If so, enroll in a school of architecture that Canada architectural licensing will accept that will provide you the path of least resistance that will be providing the appropriate atmosphere of professors/instructors that are approachable for guidance, help in understanding a subject matter, collaborative student environment where students are encourage to interact and collaborate. This is what worked in the past for you so this is what you need to look for.

In your case, don't pursue online programs and most distance learning programs where you must rely on yourself. 

Good Luck.

Sep 22, 15 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@discouraged

In case you haven't been following Archinect long, Balkins is a troubled dude who enjoys giving long-winded nonsensical academic advice despite the extremely limited and embarrassing education he has actually completed (an associate's degree from a community college).

Sep 22, 15 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Discouraged

@placebeyondthesplines

He may be long winded, but there's really no need to insult his education.  Another reason I'm not fond of universities is their ability to develop elitist attitudes in many of their graduates.  

Sep 22, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

There are people on this forum that gets off on preying on people in trying to discourage them from architecture.... deliberately and intentionally.

If you don't like architecture than go to some other profession, placebeyondthesplines? 

Sure, I completed an associates degree and a certificate as well as one term from completing a second associates and also one or two terms worth of classes from completing a bachelor's degree with over 7 full times years worth of college education of courses taken and passed. My education is probably a bit more diverse than typical 5 year B.Arch.

My suggestion for the person is if they truly wish to make a career in architecture and willing to enroll at a university program with an approved architecture educational program than do it. Don't ask for permission from people here. Just do it. There are people here on this forum who makes it a personal mission and agenda to scare people away from pursuing architecture education. 

Granted, there are some okay advice given to the original poster.

Part of my suggestion is for the person to change their mindset and outlook. Take a optimistic outlook because if you have a pessimistic outlook then it is not the right time to pursue ANY college/university. 

Optimism is a basis of hope and perseverance which is a necessity to have in college.

Sep 22, 15 5:22 pm  · 
 · 

placedbeyondthespline,

I could begin taking the ARE in like 3-4.5 years and be licensed over the next 5 years after that. Depending on where I get initial license. 

Sep 22, 15 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Balkins,

GTFO this thread.

Know your place. Not the education threads. At least until you're done with you bachelor's or you turn 40. Whichever happens first.

Sep 22, 15 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

What do you got, a fucking art degree that is worth less than a 1 year certificate at a community college in absolutely every occupation outside the AEC industry.

I'll be clear as a bell. You can't get employed outside of the architecture, engineering, and construction profession/industry with a B.Arch or M.Arch except a teaching job.

If you want to get a job in computer programming, you better have a computer programming background. Oops, they don't teach that as part of the B.Arch. You need additional education or self-learning. I had substantially completed the equivalent of bachelor's degree. If I was able to combine the credits of the historic preservation program at clatsop community college and also at UO, it would be equivalent to major. They just don't officially have a OUS bachelor level major. It would be a custom bachelor's degree if you think about it. But it doesn't exactly work that way. On the other hand, I also have completed a major part of my official major which wasn't signed into until the last term of my second year and I was only there for three years. 

Completing it is more money than my academic ability. Although, I am not exactly interested in Geography. I wasn't studying for the previous 10 FUCKING YEARS in architecture before hand. It was more on the last minute. I had more credits behind my name in architecture and related subject matter than you would find in a B.Arch minus the general ed courses which I also had completed the requirements for at UO.

So taking the few courses and going to some ceremony in a green cap & gown and yellowish stole isn't going to be any different or special. I did that twice already at Clatsop Community College.

Pay a few shingles at the registration & academic records for a graduation petition and so forth isn't going to make any more difference. There isn't any special magic. You guys take getting a bachelors and make it more 'special' than it really is. Jesus Christ, man. Get real.

When I get done with my bachelor's degree is up to me to when I decide to do it. 

What is left doesn't change and won't change my outlook on what the damn thing is. Whoop-e-fucking-doo!

Having said that.... STOP TRYING TO DISCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ARCHITECTURE !!!!

Sep 22, 15 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

np, 

point is, ALL occupational fields be it computer programming, engineering, law, medical/healthcare or any other will only hire people with documented knowledge and skills in the particular field they are in. 

Degrees with specific majors are just a piece of paper documenting knowledge and skill in a certain area. So is a transcript. I already have an associates degree, a certificate in CAD and one term's worth of courses to complete a second Associates. I have maybe two terms (not semesters... terms) from completing the bachelors degree with a major and a minor. 

This doesn't mean the classes I already taken are not valid. They are valid the day I completed and passed those classes. Each and every single one of them. I have already done more and passed more classes than most people do to get a bachelor's degree. I have nearly as many credits as someone with a doctorates degree.

Therefore, what is the issue? It isn't like a never looked at the requirements for a Master's degree. 

You know for a fact that I have.

If the person has a bachelor's degree then the person has options. Some require a 3.0 GPA. Some don't. It comes down to meeting their requirements and just do it if the person wants to pursue it. It isn't likely they have an issue with money.

If they had money issues, they wouldn't be bringing up the subject matter.

Sep 22, 15 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Richard:  the fact that you have that many credits and have spent that much time as a student but have not managed to finish the degree is exactly why you're not qualified to give advice on the subject.  You can quibble about whether you've been talking about getting an architecture degree and/or getting licensed as an architect for 9 years now or for 10, but the fact is that during that time 9 or 10 batches of people younger than you, with fewer credits and less experience, have been admitted to architecture school, graduated, and launched careers  - and you haven't.  

Before you went to the University of Oregon you wrote that you had so many related credits and so much experience as a building designer that you expected you'd be admitted directly into the 4th or 5th year of the major, or maybe admitted directly to the M.Arch program (you suggested they might award you an honorary bachelor.)  But your assumptions were way off, and it turned out that they wouldn't even admit you to the major at the entry level - and that you were removed from the architecture building by security guards because your behavior was regarded as threatening to the department administration.  These are all strong reasons why you should not be giving anyone else advice about architecture school.

Sep 22, 15 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Maybe Balkins can do the RIAC career path to license. 

Sep 22, 15 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

OP, Here is a straight forward solution. 

Find a career discovery program like the one taught at the GSD for two reasons.

1- you'll get a sense of what studio culture is like. Sure you may get some crappy ta, but the myth that every studio critic in a program is program is spectacular is exactly that- a myth. You'll get the basics at the least, which leads to the second point

2- a portfolio that is directly applicable. Nuf sed there.

3- work hard enough (whatever that means where you are), and you may get a letter.

Now to backtrack-

Programs will likely encourage you to get in the masters program. The problem with the barch is that you have a degree. Institutions are not really keen on recycling you (residency credit requirements, etc,). Not to mention, the studio and secondary course sequence will be so thin and strung out over 4 years, you'll be p/t another studio qualm. 

The bummer about the march is that it's hard to squeeze in more the research based subjects like computation or graphics / programming that the two year students jump into. So a strategy might be to find a program with those secondary interests of yours (yet to b determined) that is not quite a a handful like others, so you can fit them in.

But ignore this part, and focus on points 1-3 first.

Sep 22, 15 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Pardon, "OP," not "NP." Autocorrect snuck up on me.

Sep 22, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

I can be your master. 

Sep 22, 15 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@discouraged

If you think it's elitist to expect people giving advice about architecture education to actually have an architecture education, you've got a very long road ahead of you. 

Sep 22, 15 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@JBeaumont

Is the story about Balkins being removed from UO online somewhere? I would love to read that shit.

Sep 22, 15 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

He has told various versions of the story - I thought it was on archinect but it might have been on the defunct areforum.   UO's architecture department has competitive enrollment and they wouldn't let him in because his community college GPA is sub-par, and he refuses to take the SAT - for self-professed reasons including:  too expensive at $75 (three years of college in a major he doesn't care about was apparently a better investment to him); too difficult to schedule; no transportation to a testing site; testing sites are mostly high schools and he's afraid a high school girl will accuse him of a sex crime (I'm not kidding - that's what he wrote.)

So he got frustrated at the department's admissions policies, and he got in the dept chair's face about it, and she got scared and reported him for evaluation as a campus threat.  But apparently unbeknownst to her he managed to enroll in one sophomore level "visual language" type class in the architecture dept - that's where all his stories of all-nighters and charrettes stem from - and she saw him in the building and had him removed by security.  He managed to hold together enough semblance of sanity in front of the threat evaluation counselor that he wasn't permanently barred.

Sep 22, 15 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

That's incredible, but totally unsurprising. Care to weigh in on that, Balkins? I require no less than 10,000 words on the matter.

Sep 22, 15 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont, 

There is no legal qualification for anything regarding this discussion. I will talk on this forum in accordance with my Constitutional right of the freedom of speech so go fuck off.

Sep 22, 15 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

You can't get employed outside of the architecture, engineering, and construction profession/industry with a B.Arch or M.Arch except a teaching job.

Balkins, you're full of shit. Stop projecting your shortcomings onto others. My classmates have done everything from film production and visual effects, to doing UX/UI work for start-ups in the city, to working in law firms as highly specialized support personnel.

Stop projecting your shitty life onto others.

Life outside of bumfuck nowhere in Oregon is full of possibilities.

Sep 22, 15 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Ah, so I guess add freedom of speech to the list of things RWCB,PBD fundamentally doesn't understand. We should start a wiki.

Sep 22, 15 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

null pointer,

People don't hire you unless you have something more than just architecture degrees because that isn't something they will even consider you. You have to have something more than a B.Arch. It is like expecting to work in a law office on a B.Arch. Good f---ing luck. Sure, you can get a job being the bitch that picks up the coffee for the law office principals. 

The degree won't get you the job. No UI/UX job looks for anyone with a B.Arch. You need portfolio of work but in that role, you are a graphic designer not a programmer. You don't program the code that underlies all that. I done all that myself. 

Law office: Specialized support personnel in what? Getting the coffee? Reading the codes? Perhaps if the person is a certified plan reviewer or building official/inspector in having passed the ICC certification. Sure. You need more than the B.Arch. B.Arch alone won't get you the job.

Sep 22, 15 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

placebeyondthespline:

The Constitutional right of the freedom of speech allows me to say, "You can go f--- a donkey." and legally you can't do a damn thing about it. I can state my opinion on any topic whatsoever. 

It is my opinion. So is yours.

Sep 22, 15 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Edit: Nevermind. I quit.

Sep 22, 15 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

Bench,

respond your post to the OP.

Sep 22, 15 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Sigh, thanks for proving my point Balkins. Please exercise your freedom to tell us how you were forcibly removed from architecture school.

Sep 23, 15 12:34 am  · 
 · 

I wasn't forcibly removed from architecture school. At least not how you try to imply. I am not barred from applying to the program. After a certain point, I stopped applying for the programs. I'm not applying to programs or enrolling in classes unless money is secured. 

It comes down to money at this moment in time.

Sep 23, 15 12:44 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

So JBeaumont's story is a fabrication?

Sep 23, 15 12:46 am  · 
 · 

His story is skewed. First, I wasn't removed from the building. In fact, because I didn't have all my enrollment forms with me when I was at the AIAS meeting, the UO Police after the end of the AIAS meeting talked to me and suggested that until my evening class to leave the Architecture building while they verify my enrollment at the UO registrar office. I could have verified it much sooner but it was a matter of civility and I agreed as my issue isn't with them. It wasn't until later that I had to talk to the Director of student conduct & affairs who was brought into the situation.

The bottom line: She failed to verify or had talked to the Dean of the School of Architecture & Allied Arts. If she had only bothered to ask me if I had a class in the department, there wouldn't have been an issued.

I haven't been barred or removed from the School of Architecture & Allied Arts. In fact, my minor is actually in that school. Ironic, isn't it.

You see, my last year there, she was not there. By that point, I didn't care to apply to a B.Arch at that school as I do not care to pursue more of my time on them.

If I do bother to pursue an M.Arch, it will probably be after I have an architect license.

Sep 23, 15 1:14 am  · 
 · 

Just so you know, I did attend the evening class. The UO Police merely suggest that if I didn't have anything going on until then to not be at the building so as to make there job easier for that time being. We mutually had nothing against each other and they were doing their job and keep things civil.

It doesn't make their job easier to escalate conflict. I was heading out anyway after the AIAS meeting.

I don't hold anything personal with the officers. 

Sep 23, 15 3:13 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

What about this: 

UO's architecture department has competitive enrollment and they wouldn't let him in because his community college GPA is sub-par, and he refuses to take the SAT - for self-professed reasons including:  too expensive at $75 (three years of college in a major he doesn't care about was apparently a better investment to him); too difficult to schedule; no transportation to a testing site; testing sites are mostly high schools and he's afraid a high school girl will accuse him of a sex crime (I'm not kidding - that's what he wrote.)

Sep 23, 15 4:02 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Why does every thread turn into a Balkins life story? feels like the same few people stalking Balkins trying to put him down and get high off it.

Sep 23, 15 4:33 am  · 
 · 

splinelessweenie,

Ask yourself this, after GED, 247 credits and 10 years of college, why in the world would you take the SAT?

When you are taking college and financial aid money, you can not just back out and not enroll. SAT isn't designed for architecture. The things they test on the SAT, I never had to use ever. You don't even use in engineering calculations. We don't do calculus in architecture practice. The most math an architect uses is basic algebra not calculus. The last Math course being Math 111 was back in 2006 or something like that. 

Calculating and sizing structural beams don't involve calculus in practice. Sure, in scientific theory of structural dynamics. You aren't going to do that in practice. You aren't going to spend the 6 -12 hours it takes to calculate abstract calculus by paper & pencil. It would be a total waste of office time. SAT will test on lambda calculus or abstract algebra. Seriously. Therefore, why the hell would I torture myself on that shit that will never be used in architecture. We don't do that stuff. In practice, we essentially use Elementary Algebra as we always in some form or another will be working with underlying real numbers and complex numbers because every value in the engineering equations used in architecture is determined either from the geometric design (structural layout dimensions for example), or the building codes or otherwise determined. Once you have numbers to plug into the equations, then you can calculate every equation as it is the elementary algebra that we use in applied application of structural design and engineering of buildings.

Asking me to subject myself again to that sh-t is f---ing inhumane. Only a portion of what you learn in school or college is ever going to be retained because of its use. That stuff isn't even something that architecture students are ever going to really be using unless that particular student if extraordinarily interested in abstract algebra and calculus. If a person is into that stuff, sure.

If they were going to test me on something architecture subject related, then I would be more than willing to take and do. I am aware of the architecture program and even their limited engineering oriented courses don't really involve abstract algebra for example. They are much more applied to real and complex numbers as the students needs to understand the application of engineering equations to structural design.

The more you play in the abstract, the less time the student is going to see how the calculations apply to the structural design and understand the equation components to the structure of a beam, load area, etc. It isn't so much about understanding the nitty gritty about the theories behind the algebra so much as understanding the equation and its application. Otherwise, students will quickly lose track and become lost in the baffle of information / theory overload. 

When the SAT requires mastering of abstract algebra to have remotely a decent SAT score on the subject matter of abstract algebra when the architecture program doesn't even involve that stuff is largely a cheat. SAT is good if you are testing the students aptitude for general ed. There are areas in the algebra domain that I am rather foggy with because it isn't something I have applied ever in building design or even calculating structural members. I studied structural design and calculation from books like Architect & Builder's Handbook, Parker-Ambrose's Simplied Engineering for Architects and Builders.

When you work with the equations in connection with building code consultation and building design, in practice it is more elementary algebra and working with real numbers because through procedural steps you take to determine numeric values to the algebraic / engineering equation symbols, it becomes math not abstract algebra.

I know how to do that. The SAT is a bit of a cheat when I have to be tested on something that isn't even relevant to or applied in the profession or the degree.

They use an invalid method of testing aptitude to the program.

If I wanted to know all that shit, I would be a physicist / algebra-calculus professor. I'm not pursuing such. I already had most of the general education requirements for the university which varies from year to year. At this time, I already have the general ed. 

At this point, I would only need to complete the major's requirements. If I pursued a B.Arch, I would only need the courses for the major not the general ed. 

When I study historic preservation or other architecture related courses, it applies to what I do now and in the future. It applies to my field. I'm already past the point of entering the field. I'm already neck deep into this pool. 

Now, do you understand my main core issue. Add to that, why on earth would I want to take a stupid test which I would have to spend a disproportionate amount of time studying for while also on a full-time class load or just about and also with work and other course load. Even if I could have taken the SAT while I was at the community college as I could get to the high school. I'm working as well and most of my work is at night during the time. So lets ask myself, I have classes or my business work in the day and work at night. I need to sleep, too. It would put an undue burden on my time to do all that shit.

If I am investing money on classes which are college credits, I'm not going to miss class for this which is exactly what it would do during the school year which jeopardizes my grade. Lets think about it for a moment. The classes I take are things I can use and do use. The SAT is a waste of time. It's short-lived usefulness for what? 

The more a person or you stay in college earning degrees, there's a good chance you will have bad classes, events in your life, etc.. Alot of times, you'd just quit. That's not good. I stick things out a bit longer. Perhaps, longer than I should. Maybe... I can't just quit at the first sign of having struggle whether because of life or otherwise. 

You got your answer. Now you can go stuff it up your ass.

Sep 23, 15 5:56 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

tldr

Sep 23, 15 6:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
For sir Sean connery's sake, get over yourself Richard; you've aborted any useful information contained here.

To the Op, ignore the obvious rambling of this old man. He's never stepped foot over the US border yet "knows" everything about our building laws and education systems. If I wanted to read 2000 words rants, I'd cruise religious nuts and conspiracy forums. Most here see it this way too.

Look at the advice (pre Dick) from those here who are licensed in canada and know a thing or two about the process.
Sep 23, 15 6:53 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Discouraged - There is a way to skip majority of bachelors if you want to fast track to Masters.  This is actually a better option for you if I say so.  Do atleast a year or two of architecture undergrad.  Make sure you end up with stellar grades in all your courses and get on the good side of a few professors.  Then apply straight to Masters after your first or second year of undergrad with your good grades, ample work to show in your portfolio and good recommendation letters from your architecture professors.  During my undergrad, we had 3 mature students who transferred to Masters after their first year of undergrad.  They all had a previous bachelors degree in a different field and figured they didn't want to spend another 3-4 years finishing their architecture bachelors.  Taking a year or two of undergrad bachelors will give you a solid foundation of whats involved and required.  You'll be better prepared to take on masters and architectural design/research/presentation etc for your masters. 

Sep 23, 15 7:36 am  · 
 · 
Brud-G

Balkins took some non architecture related classes at UofO. He liked to "hang-out" in the architecture department and creeped out one of the female proffessors. Balkins was asked (restraining order maybe?) not to come back. True story

edit: I just read JBeaumont's post above. He said it before me

Sep 23, 15 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

While you can easily ignore one specific poster the problem is clicking on a post by someone whose experience and opinion you value only to find out that poster is responding to the person you prefer to avoid, I don't know the answer but a lot of threads have been ruined and the entire site is losing appeal.

Sep 23, 15 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ RAmen brother...

Sep 23, 15 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: