Archinect
anchor

Architecture Degree - Construction Mgmt Experience - Real Estate MBA?

kikimonkey

Hello,

I have a BS in architecture and have been working in real estate development/construction in the last 5 years. I am thinking of going to real estate MBA and hope to work in real estate investment or private equity firms dealing with finance side of development as to what the money is invested from acquisition, programming, etc. 

I know that even with MBA, if you don't have any prior experience in real estate finance, you will not likely to get a job.

What can I do with a MBA degree and my CM experience?

I am thinking any investment group that does development in house would be a good choice but I want to know my options and obviously I look for a jump in my salary.

Any thoughts?

Sep 16, 15 3:54 pm
anonitect

yuck. Thoughts? Think long and hard about the state of your soul.

Sep 16, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Most likely, once you have the MBA, your entry point in a development firm would be in Construction Management or Development Management. Then, as you demonstrate your ability to contribute over time, you should be able to parlay that position towards a more finance oriented role.

Good luck.

Sep 16, 15 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Skip the MBA, get a Masters in Finance instead.

Sep 16, 15 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
kikimonkey

Do you mean a Masters in Real Estate Finance? 

Sep 16, 15 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

This may sound too simple, but search the job boards at the companies you would like to potentially work for and mold your finale around that. This is just one target:

http://www.hcreit.com/

Sep 16, 15 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Kiki,

How old are you and what kind of underwriting experience do you have?  Typically for RE investment tracks, your first step would be getting hired as a financial analyst in mid-20's, late 20's oldest prior to MBA.  Post-MBA the goal is to get hired as associate/ VP in investment firm in late 20's/ early 30's.

Real estate finance/ investment is a very age driven industry and they don't like things going out of sequence.

PE is a tough nut to crack.  Very competitive and typically positions go to top tier schools w high college GPA and 700+ GMAT req's.  

I would agree with Quizzical that it would be easiest to leverage your construction experience into a development firm and just strong arm your way into doing more finance stuff.  I know of people who have entered as development analysts/ associates hired for design/ construction and offered to help with pro-formas, etc and often their initiative is responded to favorably.  

Oct 28, 15 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
eco_gen

I would suggest signing up for a membership with CREW, UDI, ULI and networking, networking, networking. They have courses specific to what you are trying to learn and are offered at an inexpensive price. You will also meet people in your classes who are already on the path you are trying to be directed to. With respect to getting hired into the area you want after school, I think the best thing is to talk to the MBA departments you are thinking of joining/attending and looking at the Pre-MBA position of the graduates versus the Post-MBA position. You can back check what they say by also looking on websites like LinkedIn.

I have met several people in the area of expertise you are trying to move to into. Your plan to go back to school for your MBA seems logical. CREW(Commercial Real Estate Women) will be a great resource in helping you find a woman mentor who can help advise you while you continue to grow professionally.

Good luck!

Oct 31, 15 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: