Archinect
anchor

Use of Digital Design Tools in architecture

Samridh.spa

Hello,

I am a student of architecture from School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi

I am doing a Dissertation on How design process has changed post digital revolution.

And how digital design tools effect the outcome of the design.

So i want to have view on

• At what stage do you people use Digital tools for designing and architecture and what type of tools or only for representation?
  • And do these digital design tools interfere with design or are just use for the ease of it?

​Attatched below are the Aims and Objectives of my Research.

Your responce will be highly valuable to me.

Thanks

Sep 15, 15 11:17 am

Read anything by Robert Aish.

Also look at Antoine Picon's book on digital culture, Mario Carpo's book 'The Alphabet and the Algorithm" and Bob Sheil's collection "Manufacturing the Bespoke."

In truth, there's no one answer, you need to need to negotiate computational and material practices in your own head/software/hardware space as an individual.

Sep 15, 15 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Samridh.spa

But whats your personal experience

Sep 15, 15 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

At the firm where i work they use me for private projects after the design has been done . We are still making changes on this one as well, it is a 10k sqft house I modeled it in revit and rendered it in 3ds max, so it can be flexible.

Tools used:

Autocad

Autocad architecture

Revit

sketch up

3ds max

Sep 15, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Samridh,

I've answered the question above. My experience with software, hardware and material is driven by the designers and historians listed above, and will differ for yours. 

In looking at your dissertation brief (thesis?), I cannot understand the relevance of my workflow to your desired outcomes. If you are trying construct a survey, I suggest that you use an online survey tool, and craft a set of questions that will provide you with the data that you are looking for. If you need help crafting the survey look at Inquiry by Design by John Zeisel.

Sep 15, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

People sure do love asking other people to do their homework.

Sep 15, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

your research question is so broad and ambiguous.  it has no specificity to it at all.  you could find the answer to your questions in a two minute google search.  also, what is the post digital revolution?  totally meaningless jargon.  revise and resubmit.  

Sep 15, 15 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Design in your head or on paper, produce with software. It hasn't changed and won't change.

Even if that means designing algorithms and processes... design still happens independent of software.

Sep 15, 15 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Samridh.spa

Thanks marc and archanonymous. 

And rob the question may seem ambigous but the research methodology i am adopting is leading answer in a proper direction. 

But after your review I think i should develop on the question too. and thanks

Sep 17, 15 12:33 am  · 
 · 
jacobshirley

I am always thrown off by movies and old photographs of offices pre-80's that have no computers on the desk. What were they doing with themselves? 

I've been working in the architecture / urban design field for 12ish years. What I witness is an insatiable need for more information, faster. When software comes up with a solution to a problem the response is always 'yea, but can it do the NEXT thing?'

We build all our models in Revit. From there we put it into Lumion - https://lumion3d.com/ - which mimics a video game, and we tour the client through the space. Any little error in the model is criticized even if it isn't visible in the final construction documents and has no effect on the contractor's work. I specify all my materials through Spec.Ninja - http://spec.ninja - simply because it's fast and the client might want changes immediately. 

We are looking at virtual reality options so clients can be completely immersed in the project. Once we begin VR, it will likely further complicate my work.

Dec 22, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: